• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's like Ford Island. Every time on final to 08L at HNL I look out my feft window and think "I could land there."

Taking off again would be a whole different issue. But I could definitely land...once...

I've landed there once, and back when there was a TFR over Pearl, post-9/11. It was about 0100 and we checked in with Honolulu east of Koko Head. I had two SEALs in the back that I needed to drop off so we made our request (which had been pre-approved). HNL came back telling us there was a TFR (duh) and asked if we had clearance. "AFFIRMATIVE!" And that was all it took...HNL cleared us in ("uh, roger, you're cleared into the TFR").

Having since been back to Ford Island as a tourist, I've looked trying to figure out where we actually landed. No doubt near the SEAL complex, but I think we were on the runway. It was hard to tell because of all the weeds growing up. But it was still a cool check in the box, especially as a student of the attack on Pearl Harbor. And seeing a couple of dudes walk off from our helo at night carrying rifles made it even cooler, even if it was only training.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's like Ford Island. Every time on final to 08L at HNL I look out my feft window and think "I could land there."

Taking off again would be a whole different issue. But I could definitely land...once...
I have always thought it would be great to bring a helicopter into Ewa Field. I once took a trip in an SH-2 that followed the Japanese (first wave) attack across the island, over Wheeler and on to Pearl. It was fantastic.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Another successful Freedom of the Skies operation over the oppressed, mulch-spreading people of Pagistan!

View attachment 26049
I was able to jam their systems by tuning my AM radio to “Hoots Wallers Old Tyme Country Music.”

View attachment 26050
Afternoon flight?

I was there Tuesday, and it was busy in the morning. I was "flying" the mighty MQ-8C Firescout while TPS had a Bell 206 doing HV diagram exploration, and the U-6/X-26 Beaver/Glider combo making laps, and there was an RQ-21 up there somewhere. I'd be surprised if they vectored you through that circus.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Afternoon flight?

I was there Tuesday, and it was busy in the morning. I was "flying" the mighty MQ-8C Firescout while TPS had a Bell 206 doing HV diagram exploration, and the U-6/X-26 Beaver/Glider combo making laps, and there was an RQ-21 up there somewhere. I'd be surprised if they vectored you through that circus.
About 7pm. There wasn’t a car or aircraft that I could see. I was surprised as well. I had flight following and was moving south around Deal Island and Frenchtown with flight following when the controller asked if I was heading to my SFRA gate. Told him I was and he gave me my code and sent me through and up the East side of the Potomac. You get rare treats like that around here sometimes. Last year I got vectored directly over Andrews AFB in a straight line to VKX...asked twice with the “Are you really, really, really sure?” but he sent me over.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you ever wanted to see how your transponder gets tested, a $20,000 gizmo like this is used.....

The CVW aircraft are tested by a similar device and I'm certain it costs a whole lot more...
640px-thumbnail.jpg

U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Natalia E. Panetta

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
KNUI is Webster Outlying Field, aka WOLF. These days UX-24, the UAV DT squadron, flies out of there. TPS also uses it for gliders.

My shower thought the other day was, if you have base access as a retiree/Reservist/active duty guy, why wouldn't you be able to land at the field of nearly any Navy base? Obviously you'd have to get clearance from the tower to enter the pattern and land. But I can't see them not allowing it as long as they weren't busy and you asked nicely.

It would definitely be the best way to avoid gate traffic. :D

taxi1

pilot
...if you have base access as a retiree/Reservist/active duty guy, why wouldn't you be able to land at the field of nearly any Navy base?
Had a reserve skipper, civil servant day job, who used to fly a Pax flying club aircraft to NAS Willow Grove for drill weekends. Required prior permission, and he had to address some insurance issues which I imagine having a Pax Flying Club aircraft overcame. Cool way to travel!

Used to get permission to transit the NAS Oceana airspace along the beach in a little bug smasher. That always felt cool.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My shower thought the other day was, if you have base access as a retiree/Reservist/active duty guy, why wouldn't you be able to land at the field of nearly any Navy base? Obviously you'd have to get clearance from the tower to enter the pattern and land. But I can't see them not allowing it as long as they weren't busy and you asked nicely.
It's easier for the base and region chain of command to just deny it.

We once floated the idea of getting a helo EMS operator to bring their dog and pony show to a wing-wide safety stand down. Plan A was to fly and plan B was to drive. Base Ops shot down plan A with the rationale that 1) the weather might not be that good that day, 2) it's an unfamiliar landing site for the flight crew, and 3) the tower wouldn't be open until that afternoon

Where do we get such men??

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have always thought it would be great to bring a helicopter into Ewa Field. I once took a trip in an SH-2 that followed the Japanese (first wave) attack across the island, over Wheeler and on to Pearl. It was fantastic.
At about the same speed, no?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor

It would definitely be the best way to avoid gate traffic. :D
Fill out a DD 2401 and hope the facility manager likes you! I have done it a few times and received permission three out of four times. You have to have a valid reason like a work appointment...but my standby is veteran visiting PX/NEX. The Navy actually maintains a website to make this easier. I have never tried it at a base that does special stuff like flight testing but I have landed at Langley AFB.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
We once floated the idea of getting a helo EMS operator to bring their dog and pony show to a wing-wide safety stand down. Plan A was to fly and plan B was to drive. Base Ops shot down plan A with the rationale that 1) the weather might not be that good that day, 2) it's an unfamiliar landing site for the flight crew

I got to sit left seat in a VBPD Bell 407 to show them course rules to come in for one our wing safety stand downs. It was a pretty sweet deal and I got some stick time. On the way back the pilot (former Navy 46 dude) asked if I wanted between two buildings in town center. I was like, can we do that?! And he was like, "Dude, we're the cops!" We then landed at a school so the senior dude in the back could pick his sick kid up.