• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HJmorTh.gif
They/we did at many bars every weekend when I was in college.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wait, so under your ops spec you are not permitted to land at a scene at night unaided? Is that the standard now in HAA?

Correct, because we don't have a Midnight Sun. If we did, then I think you're covered. I don't know of anyone who has one locally, though, as everyone has gone to NVGs. Maybe the guys in S. FL do, but they're operating under PAO, so it would be different anyway.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When there is high ambient light, like an urban area, wouldn't an unaided landing with night sun be better than trying to use NVGs? I got the training for the Sheriff's office, but only used them a few times because my helmet didn't have a mount. Those missions were over sparsely or unpopulated areas.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is a little bit of history. A friend's father was buds with the Vangrunsvens. In the mid 80s when I was home on shore duty as a recruiter. Jerry Vangrunsven, older brother of designer Dick, flew the prototype RV-6 to Phoenix for a cross country shakedown. He visited my buddy's family and we went flying to get some shots of the new design. This is the very first inflight photo of a RV-6. Crappy photo. Loaded the film and forgot to set the proper film speed.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Night Sun was a really good tool - we never got formal training on it beyond "hey, read this" and "don't leave it on after touchdown unless you want to start a fire...". Manipulating the little collective mounted joystick nub and the narrow/wide beam adjustment while flying and talking to ATC and first responders on separate radios took practice and experience.

There were plenty of times I wish I had NVG though - on a super dark night the Night Sun washed out contrast making obstacle identification difficult especially small towers and wires. And then you needed to think ahead on a short flight because I think it needed 5+ minutes of warmup time. I remember getting a flight to an urban GSW scene - like 6 minute flight from the downtown hospital helipad and I could not get the NightSun fired up in time but the scene was a lighted supermarket parking lot.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When there is high ambient light, like an urban area, wouldn't an unaided landing with night sun be better than trying to use NVGs? I got the training for the Sheriff's office, but only used them a few times because my helmet didn't have a mount. Those missions were over sparsely or unpopulated areas.
There were plenty of times I wish I had NVG though - on a super dark night the Night Sun washed out contrast making obstacle identification difficult especially small towers and wires.

Chuck gives a good example of where the NVGs are clutch. I haven't flown with a Night Sun, but have used something similar on deployment and it can wash out objects. With NVGs, I can adjust how much gain/de-gain happens by adjusting the search light. I first remember learning that from our squadron Yoda at my first squadron...how you can use the search light to help when landing in a blown out area (using a runway as an example).

Really, finding wires is the big one, but being able to see unlit cell towers comes in handy, as well. Going into winter, my rotation puts me at the New Moon portion of the cycle, so things get dark in the sticks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Low pass over the camp. Poor photo due to light conditions. It was past sundown getting dark when these guys made it to the party. Lead must have gone down in the chocks :) .

Pulling off the morning river recce.

Occasionally more "senior" aviators would drop in to our camp.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
View attachment 28607
Low pass over the camp. Poor photo due to light conditions. It was past sundown getting dark when these guys made it to the party. Lead must have gone down in the chocks :) .

View attachment 28608

Pulling off the morning river recce.
View attachment 28609

Occasionally more "senior" aviators would drop in to our camp.
I think that Stearman spent time in Albuquerque at the old Coronado airfield just north of the city.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Once upon a time, NFOs were qualified to fly copilot in station C-12s too. They went to Flight Safety in Wichita, KS and did the same course the pilots did. As part of their NATOPS checks, they had to do takeoff and landings. I know 3 now retired NFOs that did this. I almost wormed my way into NAS Oceana's C-12 crew pool when I was at Dam Neck teaching TAO school but the Dam Neck CO put the kibash on it when the TAD for training orders crossed his desk. He said it would take me away from my job too often.

Same @ Whidbey. If I'd agreed to another tour at NAVAIRES, which I was already cutting short to go to VAQ-209, they waived flight safety at me. I'm still torn but like all things Navy, I'm sure I would have been screwed out of it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Trying to close a deal on procuring a C182 to replace from October mishap aircraft that was totaled. Found a C182 S model (1999) for $210K ish - about the best we can find in this market. G1000 2007 or newer models are going for north of $300K!

Will need some avionics update and some mods (Tanis pre-heater) - but so far so good :)

Planning upgrade for dual G5's for now... I can live with the Garmin 530W - heavy and clunky but perfectly serviceable...