• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Been playing Ops weenie this month at work providing "Operational Control" for interagency flights - we've been busy doing vaccine transport missions to some fairly remote Indian Reservations for HHS and Indian Health Services. These are areas not even remotely serviced by 121 carriers or 135 operators. We provide the "operational control" under our FAA waiver so they can do these missions for hire under Part 91. Tasking comes through AFNORTH / 1st AF. Its fun watching the pilot volunteers execute - which they did really well and professionally.

Flying the vaccines are super bulky - lots of little coolers and then IHS and Pfizer folks accompany.

Nice pic one of the crews took flying the 8-seat G-8 at a whopping 120 KIAS.

View attachment 28945
Why is he wearing a mask?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Been playing Ops weenie this month at work providing "Operational Control" for interagency flights - we've been busy doing vaccine transport missions to some fairly remote Indian Reservations for HHS and Indian Health Services. These are areas not even remotely serviced by 121 carriers or 135 operators. We provide the "operational control" under our FAA waiver so they can do these missions for hire under Part 91. Tasking comes through AFNORTH / 1st AF. Its fun watching the pilot volunteers execute - which they did really well and professionally.

Flying the vaccines are super bulky - lots of little coolers and then IHS and Pfizer folks accompany.

Nice pic one of the crews took flying the 8-seat G-8 at a whopping 120 KIAS.

View attachment 28945
Very cool mission!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Why is he wearing a mask?
I had an HNL-ICN-LAX-HNL cargo flight with myself and 3 FOs last month. When we met in the HNL lounge prior to the flight, one of the FOs promptly demanded that not only do we all wear masks at all times on the aircraft (it was just us) cabin or cockpit but that we also wear a double layer of masks. I told him no and he started objecting. So I pointed out to him that the FAA and airline says masks in the cockpit are at the discretion of the individual pilot, that breathing you own exhale for hours on end distracts from alertness (at least for me) in the cockpit for multiple reasons (miserable, uncomfortable, not fresh air, etc.), that in the cabin we were relaxing in first class seats where he could have 30 feet between himself and the other off duty pilot - or he could go 150 feet away to the back of coach, that the pilots in the cabin are supposed to be resting and that being uncomfortable while breathing your own exhale doesn't make for good rest, and if he didn't like it he could call the Chief Pilot or Crew Scheduling and remove himself from the flight for anxiety. He declined.

He wore a double layer of masks, a face shield and rubber gloves the entire time throughout the 4 days and 3 legs. The other FOs and I didn't. His continuing lectures about how he was "protecting us" were annoying and by halfway to ICN, we had all told him to just shut the fuck up multiple times.

He also wanted to continuously give the orange man bad, lefties good talk to the rest of us who were all Trump supporters. None of us wanted to talk politics (never do at work). He was a very annoying FO.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
@ChuckMK23 can't keep up with your avatars. You and @mad dog sit over DD and brainstorm avatars?
Basically, yeah - although I suspect those days are coming to a close with since we are both getting busy with travel for our respective day jobs! Although my change of avatars was more to do at work - the AF just had a massive review of "design and use" of organizational/squadron/unit patches (every unit insignia was reviewed for appropriate use and proper compliance to inclusion and diversity criteria) I changed my avatar from work squadron patch to something else :) In this case to my old TW-5 HITU patch :)

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

I know it's a CAP thing, but seeing and hearing the rank on a uniform or in a title is still weird.
Lets just say there are some folks who take themselves and their CAP rank a little too seriously. But not so in this case. Rod is well regarded - he's a Captain on the ERJ 175 for his day job. Good dude.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I know it's a CAP thing, but seeing and hearing the rank on a uniform or in a title is still weird.
Really weird when CAP folks are wearing uniform and rank at an airshow on an AF base. Can't tell the difference until within just a few feet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really weird when CAP folks are wearing uniform and rank at an airshow on an AF base. Can't tell the difference until within just a few feet.

I just don't understand the regulatory nuances behind it. This isn't directed at the individuals who wear the uniform or use the title, but big picture, given it's the same uniform, I don't understand what responsibilities actually come from it. Or is it purely playing dress up (note, I'm asking something different than the operational responsibilities).

Are they commissioned? Can they operate under Title 10? Do they operate under Title 32? Stuff like that. Again, my questions aren't to rail against the organization. Instead it's from a lack of knowledge.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I just don't understand the regulatory nuances behind it. This isn't directed at the individuals who wear the uniform or use the title, but big picture, given it's the same uniform, I don't understand what responsibilities actually come from it. Or is it purely playing dress up (note, I'm asking something different than the operational responsibilities).

Are they commissioned? Can they operate under Title 10? Do they operate under Title 32? Stuff like that. Again, my questions aren't to rail against the organization. Instead it's from a lack of knowledge.

I think it's mainly a morale and esprit de corps thing. There are two types of uniforms, the Air Force style uniforms with CAP-specific badging and the CAP corporate uniforms for those who don't want to have to conform to USAF grooming standards. My preference is for the corporate uniform since they're more comfortable.

And no, no one holds a commission (It's not "real" rank) nor can they operate under Title X. I can't remember the specific title but CAP falls under the role of a community service or emergency services organization and have to comply with all of those same laws. This includes using the Incident Command System and various other organizational tools when performing emergency services operations.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting. Thanks. But as a government operation, it seems from what Chuck has said, they don't operated under PAO for their aircraft. Or maybe they do, but just follow Part 91 stuff operationally.

@ChuckMK23?