• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Part of the aeronautical adaptability screening by my recruiter included more than a quick back seat flight in the T-34B. Form to include lead change and rendezvous along with close observation of social adaptability to naval aviation. ?

View attachment 28544

View attachment 28545

View attachment 28546

View attachment 28547

Staying late to cook required a night launch.

View attachment 28548

What percent get to fly with open canopies?

A little out of focus. I must have been more concerned with a buddy flying from the right seat while I shot this close aboard pic.

View attachment 28549

Who doesn't want to fly in the Navy after a recruiter like this. When I flew with him we conducted road recce, attacked a damn, and practiced engine out approaches.

View attachment 28551

Least anyone think this guy was off the golden path, had nothing to lose or otherwise had no regard for regs and SOP, you'd be wrong. He was a top officer and aviator. He went on to be the Handler on my first ship, commanded an A-7 squadron, commanded VFA-125 and was NAVAIRES, San Diego. Back then recruiting was absolutely not a negative assignment for aviators. It was considered production no less than the VTs or the RAG.

How did he get access to a T-34? Was he required to keep minimum currency while on recruiter duty?

Way ahead of you, dude...today is “college day”...so I’m currently wearing some of my alma mater stuff and some of my fraternity stuff...

View attachment 28554

A fellow KA? You were probably around when Old South Balls were still kosher.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
A fellow KA? You were probably around when Old South Balls were still kosher.
Yeppers...Epsilon chapter at Emory.

In the mid 1980s, Old South was a week long event for us...and we wore Confederate uniforms...which didn’t go over too well on Emory’s campus since it’s a fairly liberal school.

What chapter were you?

Also, don’t ask me any of that secret KA stuff...I don’t remember any of it. ?

LATE ENTRY: I see that you’re a VMI alumnus...so you must be Beta Commission chapter.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Back in the day, recruiting districts/offices hand T-34Bs assigned to them for recruiting duties. Rides were part of the aviation recruiting process. The pilots assigned recruiting loved it as did the perspective aviators.
You know... it had to have also been a good backdoor to recruiting URL/RL numbers too. Not so much these days when the attrition rate in the aviation pipeline is much lower than it was in the 1980s. I'm not trying to suggest anything one way or another, let alone bring back the past, I'm just observing something about the numbers. Just the numbers, that's all.

I wonder what it would cost Big Navy to run a small fleet of T-34Bs or similar airplanes these days. I know you could do it for a few hundred $$ a flight hour. I'm sure the actual price would be higher with the "Uncle Sam's paying for it" markup.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Good heavens, as long as fifteen years ago we had to fill out ORM worksheets in the naval air training command for off-duty recreation for everything from water sports to spelunking (no shit). I can't imagine the heads exploding at the navel safety center and other places over a fleet of EAB airplanes and the "I've never heard of this so it must be bad, destroy it with onerous paperwork" mindset.

You're right about the choice of airplane though, those would be perfect.

(That's not a typo.)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Back in the day, recruiting districts/offices hand T-34Bs assigned to them for recruiting duties. Rides were part of the aviation recruiting process. The pilots assigned recruiting loved it as did the perspective aviators.
Some of them also flew Grumman Tigers. It was pretty cool for a young guy to get a ride. I’d prefer a T-34 ride over an RV.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Yeppers...Epsilon chapter at Emory.

In the mid 1980s, Old South was a week long event for us...and we wore Confederate uniforms...which didn’t go over too well on Emory’s campus since it’s a fairly liberal school.

What chapter were you?

Also, don’t ask me any of that secret KA stuff...I don’t remember any of it. ?

LATE ENTRY: I see that you’re a VMI alumnus...so you must be Beta Commission chapter.

You are correct, sir. I was inducted roughly an hour after I graduated since we can longer be part of the Corps of Cadets and members of fraternities/secret societies at the same time.

TFW you realize yet again that you are too young to enjoy her another good deal boondoggle. :(

You know... it had to have also been a good backdoor to recruiting URL/RL numbers too. Not so much these days when the attrition rate in the aviation pipeline is much lower than it was in the 1980s. I'm not trying to suggest anything one way or another, let alone bring back the past, I'm just observing something about the numbers. Just the numbers, that's all.

I wonder what it would cost Big Navy to run a small fleet of T-34Bs or similar airplanes these days. I know you could do it for a few hundred $$ a flight hour. I'm sure the actual price would be higher with the "Uncle Sam's paying for it" markup.

At the very least they could partner with Civil Air Patrol to get some familiarization rides in. I'm sure CAP corporate would love some extra DoD funding, especially with SAR missions kind of going away.

Good heavens, as long as fifteen years ago we had to fill out ORM worksheets in the naval air training command for off-duty recreation for everything from water sports to spelunking (no shit). I can't imagine the heads exploding at the navel safety center and other places over a fleet of EAB airplanes and the "I've never heard of this so it must be bad, destroy it with onerous paperwork" mindset.

You're right about the choice of airplane though, those would be perfect.

(That's not a typo.)

Reminds me of all of the safety meetings, briefings, and protocols we go through just to do small arms ammo onloads on the waterfront and then you look through the pictures of Sailors in WW2 loading ammo while shirtless and chain smoking. You'd never get away with that today.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fun fact. The CNRC T-34B program said nothing about a 131X flying the plane, just that a 131X had to be assigned to any T-34 location and complete the qualification course in Pcola. NATOPS required a sat NATOPS check for PIC but did not specify 131X. So, when I was recruiting my skipper was going to send me down to get a NATOPS check in the T-34 so I could fly it. Same plane in the pictures, BTW. But he could not get the funding quota because we had already sent the 131Xs.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fun fact. The CNRC T-34B program said nothing about a 131X flying the plane, just that a 131X had to be assigned to any T-34 location and complete the qualification course in Pcola. NATOPS required a sat NATOPS check for PIC but did not specify 131X. So, when I was recruiting my skipper was going to send me down to get a NATOPS check in the T-34 so I could fly it. Same plane in the pictures, BTW. But he could not get the funding quota because we had already sent the 131Xs.
Once upon a time, NFOs were qualified to fly copilot in station C-12s too. They went to Flight Safety in Wichita, KS and did the same course the pilots did. As part of their NATOPS checks, they had to do takeoff and landings. I know 3 now retired NFOs that did this. I almost wormed my way into NAS Oceana's C-12 crew pool when I was at Dam Neck teaching TAO school but the Dam Neck CO put the kibash on it when the TAD for training orders crossed his desk. He said it would take me away from my job too often.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Didn’t Kai Rysdall go to Emory?

Kai, is that you?
Nopers...not Kai.

He sort of looks familiar, however. I think he was a year ahead of me at Emory. Not sure if he was in the Greek system at Emory...he sort of looks like he could have been a milk-and-cookie boy [Sigma Chi] or a shit fish [SAE]. :D

LATE ENTRY: Did you sing the [SAE] shit fish song at ODU? We sang it Emory quite a little bit...

I’m a shit fish
I’m a shit fish
I’m a shit fish from the sea
But I’d rather be a shit fish than a mother fucking SAE

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
LATE ENTRY: Did you sing the [SAE] shit fish song at ODU? We sang it Emory quite a little bit...
No SAE there, but we would have I'm sure.

Unlike some of the local chapters here at Big State U, we managed to not kill any of our pledges. BZ for us.