• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
...and “college day” has switched to “AOCS day”...

Yeppers...another “AOCS day”...and it’s also “halitosis day”...they shit-canned all the mouthwash at the gym due to COVID...only hand soap remains...which I guess could work for mouthwash but I ain’t going to try that...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had to fly to BFE to pick up an inter-facility from a small hospital. I had been here before once, but only before sunset. While doing our high-reccee, I noticed that they had really nice "20th Century Fox" style lights lighting up the pad, criss-crossed along the surface. But it kind of looked like two of them crossed at a different spot. Oh well, we'll just land. At about 1 foot skid-height, by left seat says, "Oh, wow, nice light placement." Since we hover left wing down, he got the first light, then as I touched down, I got the second light right in the goggles. Whoever placed them had no idea what they were doing.

Here's a picture I took after shutting down. My iPhone can't get a wide enough shot, but you get the idea. It looks like headlights shining into the cockpit, but nope, just the lights that are supposed to help you land... but don't.

50735107116_b87c1d7095_h.jpg

I managed to track down the light switch behind the counter in the ER, thankfully.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

On this day in 1978 I was in the right seat of an Aeronca Chief circa 1948. The three of us were out goofying around when that Champ went down and landed on the tailings of a large open pit mine. They did look very inviting. The only plane with a radio was the C-140. The two of us just followed down and landed behind him. We no sooner shut down and security drove up and proceeded to rip us a new one. Boy were they pissed. Curtis, the pilot of the C-140 was, IS, a master bull shitter. He proceeded to tell these guys that the Champ had made a precautionary landing. The Champ had no radio and was experiencing engine roughness, so landed. We didn't know what was up so landed to see if he needed assistance. Once on the deck the engine cleared up and we suspected engine ice. We just wanted to inspect the engine before we left. They questioned how ice could form on a 75 degree day, so we explained it in great detail. In the end, they were impressed. So much so they asked for a low fly by, for which they waved and jumped up and down.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I had to fly to BFE to pick up an inter-facility from a small hospital. I had been here before once, but only before sunset. While doing our high-reccee, I noticed that they had really nice "20th Century Fox" style lights lighting up the pad, criss-crossed along the surface. But it kind of looked like two of them crossed at a different spot. Oh well, we'll just land. At about 1 foot skid-height, by left seat says, "Oh, wow, nice light placement." Since we hover left wing down, he got the first light, then as I touched down, I got the second light right in the goggles. Whoever placed them had no idea what they were doing.

Here's a picture I took after shutting down. My iPhone can't get a wide enough shot, but you get the idea. It looks like headlights shining into the cockpit, but nope, just the lights that are supposed to help you land... but don't.

50735107116_b87c1d7095_h.jpg

I managed to track down the light switch behind the counter in the ER, thankfully.

You guys fly with NODs?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You guys fly with NODs?

Exclusively. It's how we legally are allowed to land in the places we land. We don't have to wear them going into a paved hospital pad/heli port, but otherwise they're required. I always flip mine up going into a hospital in a city because it's tough to see anything (especially with our shitty, older units we have). This place was barely a city and there were so many towers around the area, it looked like Red Bull Air Racing course, so keeping them on was preferred.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I challenge @mad dog to a fashion show of him wearing all his keepsake/nostalgic clothing...
Hey, wink...how about my old Cincinnati Police PT gear from 2004? CPD issued watch cap, sweat shirt, and sweat pants. I wore this ensemble to the gym tonight...which worked out well because none of the meatheads [at the gym] wanted to kick sand in my face...

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Exclusively. It's how we legally are allowed to land in the places we land. We don't have to wear them going into a paved hospital pad/heli port, but otherwise they're required. I always flip mine up going into a hospital in a city because it's tough to see anything (especially with our shitty, older units we have). This place was barely a city and there were so many towers around the area, it looked like Red Bull Air Racing course, so keeping them on was preferred.

Cool. I guess the quad-NODs aren't in the budget anytime soon, eh?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, wink...how about my old Cincinnati Police PT gear from 2004? CPD issued watch cap, sweat shirt, and sweat pants. I wore this ensemble to the gym tonight...which worked out well because none of the meatheads [at the gym] wanted to kick sand in my face...

View attachment 28579
Good on ya. So, if I am to fit into my original Sheriffs Office patrol uniform from 1995 you are saying I have to become a competitive cyclist, skate boarder, and gym rat? I am not sure it is worth it.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Good on ya. So, if I am to fit into my original Sheriffs Office patrol uniform from 1995 you are saying I have to become a competitive cyclist, skateboarder, and gym rat? I am not sure it is worth it.
Nopers...you don’t have to become a competitive cyclist, skateboarder, or gym rat.

Also, you got to keep your Sheriff’s Office patrol uniform? I had to turn in all my Cincinnati Police patrol uniforms when I resigned in 2006. But...I forgot to turn in a white long sleeved patrol shirt due to it being at the cleaners. Anyway, when it came back from the cleaners, I called Cincinnati Police gear issue to see if they wanted it back...they said I could keep it.

Fast forward a few years later [during the winter months] and I didn’t have a clean white pilot shirt to wear at Delta...so I wore my white long sleeved patrol shirt [which can accommodate epaulettes]. Everything was going smarmy at the office until pilots [and flight attendants] noticed the square white Velcro patch [for the police radio mic/speaker] on the front of the shirt. ?