• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Had a chance to fly my first “charity” flight today. I took a representative from an area environmental organization for a flight around a quarry near Fredericksburg. They are monitoring the health of some small streams and ponds in the surrounding area. I was surprised at what I hadn’t noticed before as my passenger pointed out how to identify active streams from natural runoff areas from the air. I had my name on the volunteer list for a number of months before this flight came along so I doubt it will be my “next big thing,” but it was fun. The picture below reminds me just how fast the once empty farm land south of Fredericksburg is filling up fast. Where do all these people work?

View attachment 27686
Assuming Fredericksburg, VA...the answer would be DC.

I've been travelling from MD to NC along 95 for at least 20 years (wife used to live in NC) and we go back several times a year to visit her family. I've seen the growth and the associated increase in traffic and construction along 95. We used to think it was smooth sailing after Quantico, now we have to wait until after Fredericksburg for traffic to ease up.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Assuming Fredericksburg, VA...the answer would be DC.

I've been travelling from MD to NC along 95 for at least 20 years (wife used to live in NC) and we go back several times a year to visit her family. I've seen the growth and the associated increase in traffic and construction along 95. We used to think it was smooth sailing after Quantico, now we have to wait until after Fredericksburg for traffic to ease up.
Yep, Virginia...I live in Alexandria (VA, not to be confused with LA) and the traffic is just killing me. I'd dare say you have to wait to Richmond to get clear sailing to the south. If you are heading north...forget it - I'm flying. And @Pags, my man, they have got to unfuck Indian Head Highway!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yep, Virginia...I live in Alexandria (VA, not to be confused with LA) and the traffic is just killing me. I'd dare say you have to wait to Richmond to get clear sailing to the south. If you are heading north...forget it - I'm flying. And @Pags, my man, they have got to unfuck Indian Head Highway!
That's why I head south. DC traffic is a nightmare. I had a job offer a few years back at the Yard but it was a lateral and I wasn't about to endure the extra pain for the same pay.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'm surprised your simple HC Phrog bubba brain can keep up at speeds like that! Must be the thin air helping! ???
You absolutely nailed it! I have a 120 Knot brain for sure! Thin air aided by the depletion of aging brain cells!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Top off flight review review and IPC - responding to ATC's request in the descent to "keep your speed up!" (super smooth air)

I was doing an actual ILS into McCarren (LAS) in the mighty Twin Otter when ATC made the same request. They were used to us doing 90 to 110 KIAS on approaches and it was busy. Normally they used 28L for landing and 28R for takeoffs but they had us using 28R to try and keep the traffic flow smooth.

Props full forward, throttles full forward and 190 KIAS (160 was top of the green arc and 200 was Vne, it was smooth). "Southwest xxxx traffic is a Twin Otter passing you on the right for the parallel, has you in sight"......"What??!! Say again???!!!" It was beautiful.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I was doing an actual ILS into McCarren (LAS) in the mighty Twin Otter when ATC made the same request... "Southwest xxxx traffic is a Twin Otter passing you on the right for the parallel, has you in sight"......"What??!! Say again???!!!" It was beautiful.
Bet you still made the first turnoff :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Bet you still made the first turnoff :D

Definitely.

Another fun on was I was at about 300 feet on final to 28L when the controller said he was going to have to make me go around with an immediate left turn due to traffic landing on 01R. Then he said "unless you are empty" "I am" "OK either go around as instructed or maintain 200 feet overflying 28L until clear of 01L. then execute a left 270 cleared to land 01R. Do not climb above 200 feet." "Cleared to land 01R" To my FO: "I have the controls" From my FO: "Asshole".

Our POI told me a few days latter to never accept a clearance like that again empty or not... Which was kind of bullshit as it was safer than some of the stuff we had to do in the canyon - landing in box canyons, taking off at density altitudes that gave us 200 fpm 2-engine climb and 50 fpm single engine, landing on a former road turned runway that had a 25 degree bend about half way down it''2 2000 feet length, Having a 1000' drop off 10 feet beyond the end of the runway, etc. Whoever said that you can always go around if you don't like how the landing is going never flew the Grand Canyon. And this was all as a 121 airline.

He also told me the controller got in a little trouble for issuing it.

Last edited: