• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's basically just water anyway . . .
tenor.gif

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Since we are discussing the Kobe incident elsewhere I thought I’d add this. Potomac Approach held me outside the SFRA for almost 30 minutes this afternoon and then ATC let’s me in but says...”Recommend you go as fast as you can.” I thought he was just joking, but sure enough when I was about 10 miles from VKX I saw this storm! I called up to ask what way it was moving and how fast and the controller said “You’ll make VKX with four or five minutes to spare.” I raced in, made a wonderful landing (if I may say so), and sure enough while I was tying it down...almost five minutes after landing...it started storming right over the field!

Racing the storm home!

skybert

Skybert
Since we are discussing the Kobe incident elsewhere I thought I’d add this. Potomac Approach held me outside the SFRA for almost 30 minutes this afternoon and then ATC let’s me in but says...”Recommend you go as fast as you can.” I thought he was just joking, but sure enough when I was about 10 miles from VKX I saw this storm! I called up to ask what way it was moving and how fast and the controller said “You’ll make VKX with four or five minutes to spare.” I raced in, made a wonderful landing (if I may say so), and sure enough while I was tying it down...almost five minutes after landing...it started storming right over the field!

View attachment 27217
Racing the storm home!
I haven’t made a “wonderful landing” in 10,000 hours

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Witnessed by my nephew, a -47 pilot at Wheeler, couple hours ago, the Bearcat in the VJ Day celebration flights hit a fire extinguisher taxiing in after a flight. Took a single blade off the prop. Makes one wonder. Is the a replacement on the islands? When does the return voyage throw lines over. If they flew from Hickum to Wheeler, how does it get back to Pearl if no repair? It has been awhile since I made the drive, how much of a hassle would a tow be from Wheeler to Oahu?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Witnessed by my nephew, a -47 pilot at Wheeler, couple hours ago, the Bearcat in the VJ Day celebration flights hit a fire extinguisher taxiing in after a flight. Took a single blade off the prop. Makes one wonder. Is the a replacement on the islands? When does the return voyage throw lines over. If they flew from Hickum to Wheeler, how does it get back to Pearl if no repair? It has been awhile since I made the drive, how much of a hassle would a tow be from Wheeler to Oahu?
View attachment 27226
Ouch!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am imaging the Army SIR quoting 1940 procedures and regulations for operating Navy F8Fs from Army airfields. Briefings not done, paperwork not authorized, inspections overlooked. They should be able to reference a procedure for locating fire extinguishers after radial engine starts out of the aircraft movement area. The pilot is surely unqualified as well.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Witnessed by my nephew, a -47 pilot at Wheeler, couple hours ago, the Bearcat in the VJ Day celebration flights hit a fire extinguisher taxiing in after a flight. Took a single blade off the prop. Makes one wonder.
"Hard FOD!"

(seriously, though, how do you leave a fire extinguisher where a taildragger can't see it? ?‍♂️ )

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Hard FOD!"

(seriously, though, how do you leave a fire extinguisher where a taildragger can't see it? ?‍♂️ )
Hence, the safety investigation ?. But seriously, is that something an Army Private is going to think of these days? Does the Army operate any kind of aircraft with reduce taxi visibility?