• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is securing the engine at power a Eurocopter/Safran thing?
They're Pratts, but the step after confirming the fire and after setting a safe speed is to push the Fire Light Button. On some later models, this also discharges agent into the engine compartment. On the P2+, it just secures a fuel valve (which is different than the normal throttle control valve) to immediately stop the fuel flow at the engine (I think it's right in front of the firewall, but not 100% on that). Apparently the -145 also has this same setup.

Apparently when you push the button, you can hear the valve cycle, at least on deck with the power off. Also, interestingly, there's no Mx required when you push the button (assuming no agent was used). You just have to push the button again and it cycles the valve again.

What was confusing during my event was that when I pushed the button, the light didn't go out, which was not the result I was hoping for. It did eventually go out at some point, but I don't know when. Once we found out the sensor (which is resistive and not optical) was bad, it made sense.

HuggyU2

None
I was a volunteer pilot for CAP a number of years ago at McClellan AFB. They had a Cessna 206, and that was a great airplane for mountain flying.
Looks like you have a pretty cool gig, Chuck. ?
(p.s. apologies if the name "McClellan" triggers any of you. I'm not sure if he was a good guy or bad guy. Since the base is now closed, I suppose Mr Austin won't be able to change the name if McClellan was a bad man. )

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I was a volunteer pilot for CAP a number of years ago at McClellan AFB. They had a Cessna 206, and that was a great airplane for mountain flying.
(p.s. apologies if the name "McClellan" triggers any of you. I'm not sure if he was a good guy or bad guy. Since the base is now closed, I suppose Mr Austin won't be able to change the name if McClellan was a bad man. )
Huggy, CAP is doubling down on the 206 and adding FLIR - and the ability to stream high res imagery. The 206's procured since 2013 are turbocharged with O2 plumbed for 6 seats. More on order!!

1666456305558.png

The 206 is also very popular with the standard 3 letter agencies for its ability to blend in to the GA environment. Here is a DEA operated plane with a unique observation window.

1666456429725.png

Its been a great gig - and I am grateful. It really boils down to the people and my GS and AD colleagues are a great group. We have some longevity in the GS crowd - a lot of senior fighter guys with great stories. We all enjoy flying and everyone takes the role seriously and with commitment - everyone likes to have fun as well.

My journey of becoming "blued" continues, I received one of the very few GS pilot slots at the AF Advanced Instrument School in Oklahoma City/Tinker AFB and will be attending in December.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Don’t worry @HuggyU2 (well, beyond your lack of historical knowledge…that’s embarrassing)…the base is named after Major Hezekiah McClellan (airplane designer) not George B. McClellan, copperhead and loser civil war general. In fact I don’t think a single AF base is named for any civil war dudes.

Last edited:

HuggyU2

None
You are correct, Sir! I assumed it was ol' George... namesake of the Army base.

Plus... anyone named Hezekiah has got to be a solid guy. ?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So what makes it advanced? Do you do holding inverted?
I think the syllabus has a theory portion and a practical one. Deep dive into procedure design and TERPS - and designing IAP'S in an expeditionary/combat environment, etc. I'm told we do some sim sessions in a C-20 and the 737 sim at the FAA facility. Should be interesting. Oklahoma City in December!!! The course is also a pre-requisite to teach Instrument Ground School in the AF. So that should be a fun add'l duty.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
You’ll be at Will Roger’s, I think, not Tinker…not that it matters. OKC in December can either be “brown and cool” or “brown and ball-snapping cold.”

No matter what, make sure you get to Cattleman’s Steak House (in the city, Stockyards area) and if you really love grilled meats set aside a second night for McClintock’s on the same street. If you’re flying down in a CAP bird take the time to do a few bounces just south at Norman (KOUN) if only because it was a massive WWII training facility for the navy. Many a future single anchor warrior trained there.

Not sure what your “fun to do” thing is, but the Brickyard District is fun, down in Norman you can visit the National Weather Museum (a bit is a mess, but interesting) and fly their T-28 simulator (they weather service used T-28’s for weather work for years). Lots of airplanes at the 45th Division Museum (in OKC) and of course Tinker AFB has a nice “plane-on-a-stick” outdoor museum. Of course, you can always drop by the VQ squadrons on Tinker and demand a free cup of Navy coffee as you are an “unrestricted” naval aviator!