• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

jmcquate

Contributor
I'm no fan of closing airports, but Burke is a massive waste of lakefront property. It made sense in the 70s, early 80s, with heavy corporate traffic when Cleveland was the home of many Fortune 500 companies, and there was a reginal carrier based there (operating Lockheed Electras). Now, there's hardly any traffic.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'm no fan of closing airports, but Burke is a massive waste of lakefront property. It made sense in the 70s, early 80s, with heavy corporate traffic when Cleveland was the home of many Fortune 500 companies, and there was a reginal carrier based there (operating Lockheed Electras). Now, there's hardly any traffic.
To hell with that! Don’t close it until I get it in my logbook!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Nice video of Whidbey SAR executing a SAR-Case on Mt. Baker - On the identical path that I completed by climb and summit in 2016 - "Roman Wall". Treacherous glacier and a steep incline made for a dicey approach. Also about killed me physically - from exhaustion.

1665865841052.png

1665865926029.png

1665865958437.png

ChuckMK23

pilot
I was fortunate enough to fly in to Meigs a few times back in the day, and landed at Burke more than once. Any airport is a good airport
Flew in there many times in the late 1990's when i had the PA-28. Also did a few T&G's there ferrying EMS helos through the area for Petroleum Helicopters at the time.

taxi1

pilot
So I was out doing my instructional stuff in the Piper Warrior, about 10 miles from home plate at 4.5K, when the motor started missing, the power came off, and the RPM drooped. Turned to home at an intermediate power setting it seemed happy at, and climbed as I asked for a downwind landing on the active runway (not busy) while looking at appropriate outlanding fields, and slipped it in once the runway was made.

I was surprised at how amped I was after, though. Been a loooong time since I had to do something other than ops normal.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
So I was out doing my instructional stuff in the Piper Warrior, about 10 miles from home plate at 4.5K, when the motor started missing, the power came off, and the RPM drooped. Turned to home at an intermediate power setting it seemed happy at, and climbed as I asked for a downwind landing on the active runway (not busy) while looking at appropriate outlanding fields, and slipped it in once the runway was made.

I was surprised at how amped I was after, though. Been a loooong time since I had to do something other than ops normal.
Nice to have that background of preparedness though…ain’t it? Best part…you slicked it into home base not some cow pasture!

ChuckMK23

pilot

Wisdom means you did not end up like this!!!IMG_20201028_145634.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Glad it worked out, @taxi1 .

I can't remember if I posted pics of my adventure I mentioned a couple of months ago.

52209201233_ab4cf69bd0_b.jpg

The field was huge but had a pretty substantial downslope. I'm still not sure how I didn't bump the tail. I'm also glad it was so big since I was trying to make it down from 3,000 feet, but still get it slow enough to run it on. I was standing at the edge of the field w/ the gate when I took the pic.

Here's the "aftermath."

52209201288_7cd09a46f6_b.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It was a fire light that was, fortunately, just a light. I was pretty sure it was just a light at the time and secured the engine. Turns out when you secure the engine at power, it makes a lot more noise than bringing it back to idle (like you do on every other aircraft that I've flown) due to the clutch disengaging. It was a good debrief point, as my crew called out an unusual vibration and noise from the engine which resulted in the off-airport landing vs heading back to the airport.

Crew gets an A+, as they worked the Ops radio stuff from the back and then tended to the patient once on deck. Jax Center gets a C+ (I was IFR and about to go IMC when the light came on) because I had to declare the emergency twice to get him to respond. I think he was on the land line the first time because the airliners on the frequency stayed mostly silent after I made my first call. On the plus side, I didn't have to give him the silly "state fuel on board" because he didn't have the time to ask.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It was a fire light that was, fortunately, just a light. I was pretty sure it was just a light at the time and secured the engine. Turns out when you secure the engine at power, it makes a lot more noise than bringing it back to idle (like you do on every other aircraft that I've flown) due to the clutch disengaging. It was a good debrief point, as my crew called out an unusual vibration and noise from the engine which resulted in the off-airport landing vs heading back to the airport.

Crew gets an A+, as they worked the Ops radio stuff from the back and then tended to the patient once on deck. Jax Center gets a C+ (I was IFR and about to go IMC when the light came on) because I had to declare the emergency twice to get him to respond. I think he was on the land line the first time because the airliners on the frequency stayed mostly silent after I made my first call. On the plus side, I didn't have to give him the silly "state fuel on board" because he didn't have the time to ask.
Is securing the engine at power a Eurocopter/Safran thing?