• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fair enough-result is the same. And unlikely to be reversed.
As @wink said, it is not at all the same. Courts can’t grant injunctions absent essentially ongoing irreparable harm AND a strong likelihood that the plaintiffs will succeed on the merits. The case has to be strong enough that not only is the law likely unconstitutional, but that it likely benefits society to put the law on hold while it’s being adjudicated.

The case has not yet been heard on the merits in any court. Yet you can fail to get an injunction but still win a case. The only thing the Supreme Court ruled on was whether to suspend the law in the interim, and that matters because not issuing an injunction does not involve creating precedent. Hearing an appeal would have.

D

Deleted member 24525

As @wink said, it is not at all the same. Courts can’t grant injunctions absent essentially ongoing irreparable harm AND a strong likelihood that the plaintiffs will succeed on the merits. The case has to be strong enough that not only is the law likely unconstitutional, but that it likely benefits society to put the law on hold while it’s being adjudicated.

The case has not yet been heard on the merits in any court. Yet you can fail to get an injunction but still win a case. The only thing the Supreme Court ruled on was whether to suspend the law in the interim, and that matters because not issuing an injunction does not involve creating precedent. Hearing an appeal would have.

when I say the result is the same. What I mean is that right now, nothing changes...None of this stuff will happen until after the shelter in place is over. It now becomes about setting a precedent for future instances.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Arguing over when it is or isn't okay to riot is the wrong conversation, and is frankly irrelevant.

How do we get police to stop murdering people, and how do we get them to hold themselves more accountable so people don't want to riot is the right conversation.
Rioting is never OK!! How is it even a conversation??

We would go a hell of a long way to not having suspects, of any color, die in an encounter with police if they would simply not resist. Ask yourself, who the hell argues with, defies and insults someone that supposedly they fear will shoot them? I sure as hell am not. If you are being wrongfully pulled over or arrested do as they say and collect cash in civil court. Isn't that better then getting arrested or shot or banged up which legally can be justified once you resist? Why act in a manner that gives the police an excuse, usually legal, to make your day worse then an aggravating traffic stop?

Actions have consequences. Some times the consequence is unfair. If you get drunk, walk into a dark corner and get beat to hell, you are just as much an innocent victim as an idiot. The consequence for you getting drunk and not having a good wingman is getting mugged. If you are too lazy to get your license plate tag renewed on time you will get pulled over. If the cop asks you to get out of the car, do it. You get a ticket. Claim you did nothing wrong over and over and refuse to get out, you yourself amped up the encounter. There will be consequences. Ah, but some say, there need not be a consequence for simply being black. And of course they are right. Guess what, the numbers reflect that in this country law enforcement as institution and 99.9% of the cops believe that too. Black men are simply not executed. Not even the most racist cops in the country wakes up in the morning and says to themselves they are going to kill a young black man before the day is over. Check the facts. All of them. Who took what actions when.

It was said above that the police need to learn perception is reality. Not necessary. They absolutely know that. Every day their actions are judged and criticized by what people perceive, not knowing their job, the law or all the facts. They judge based on their own biases. Biases that are almost never revealed. The public sees and reads ONLY what the press chooses to show them. But the video! Yes, the video they want you to see. These days there can be 5 body cams, store video, dash cams, cell phone video. Hours of it. You will not see it all in any context. But the public perceives wrong doing and that is the reality for the media and protesters. That reality is not informed by knowledge of the law, physiology, ballistics, proven proper tactics, what the officer knew or his past experiences.

You are free to believe that law enforcement does not hold themselves accountable, but I suspect it is because you simply do not see what you think is an equatable body count of cops on death row. People never pay attention past the front page story or the water cooler outrage over a video. All the actions of the last few days, even by the officers in the Floyd death, will be dimmed by the memories of riots, burned out shops and tear gas. But if you followed any average case of use of force by the police, you would see rigorous investigations by no less than 3 agencies. Reviews by several lawyers and appeals to federal oversight or investigation, which is often undertaken. Many subject matter experts weight in. It takes a minimum of weeks and often months. If it goes to trial, a jury of citizens representing their community renders a verdict only after hearing all the evidence. It is usually followed by civil suits, which means more lawyers, more experts and maybe a trial before a jury. No one at the water cooler, or marching up State Street with a sign can possibly know what is known by prosecutors or juries by time a cop is convicted or acquitted.

Cops are held accountable.They account for their actions over and over to dozens of officials and often to juries. For a number of reasons, some people just can't accept the out comes. It is their narrative that has become conventional wisdom. It is wrong.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...ts-trump-for-his-protest-response/ar-BB14WzSN

More conservatives calling out POTUS for not doing enough to address the problem. "We are all one race and we need to love each other."

*Posting a quote by Pat Robertson is not an endorsement of everything that Pat Robertson has ever said or done.
It doesn’t matter what Trump says. He could call for an investigation, he can say it was horrible and unacceptable, he can say peaceful protests are fine. He did say those things.

taxi1

pilot
Rioting is never OK!! How is it even a conversation??

We would go a hell of a long way to not having suspects, of any color, die in an encounter with police if they would simply not resist.
Interesting anecdote (not data!) from a DC cop.

He is speaking as a black man who before he joined the department, or even considered applying to the academy, was a victim of police brutality.
At 22, he and his sister were driving a friend from Howard University to their grandfather’s house in Oxon Hill, Md., when they were pulled over near their grandfather’s driveway. Wilhoit says that the officer refused to tell him why they were stopped and that he later learned that the officer listed the reason as a burned-out tag light.

“I was forced out of the car, pepper-sprayed and punched in the face,” he says. “My sister was in the car crying.”

Later, when he got his driver’s license back, it was cut in half.

Wilhoit says a relative convinced him to apply to the police academy, and he did, because he wanted to work on reform from the inside. As we talk, he fights back tears twice. He describes the protests as a “humanitarian check.”

“If you don’t feel some kind of way, you need to question what’s going on with you,” he says. “People are angry and they are marching, but in reality, people are looking for reform. They are looking for change.”

They are looking for police officers who aren’t afraid to do what they believe is right — whether that is kneeling or stepping up to stop one of their own.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It was said above that the police need to learn perception is reality. Not necessary. They absolutely know that.
First, Wink, I have several close family members in LE. Conversations about the job occur very frequently at family gatherings.

They, like you, were reluctant to call a spade a spade. It's only when I asked them point blank 'are you trained to arrest people like that' did I get a 'what he did was wrong but...' to which I responded 'then why bother defending him?'

They can't understand that this type of mentality is the core problem - Chauvin is a cop, and cops always stand together. Cops are more loyal to their fellow officers than their sworn duty to uphold the law.

Not a single one of them has heard the phrase perception is reality.

You are free to believe that law enforcement does not hold themselves accountable, but I suspect it is because you simply do not see what you think is an equatable body count of cops on death row.

Nope. It's because one of those family members turned a blind eye while his partner got a bj from a perp as a bribe to not book her (she was also black, go figure). The officer was fired, but never arrested. Because the partner said the right key words and tricky phrases, and union reps and labor contract and all that jazz, family member was put on desk duty until the investigation ended. He kept his job, no suspensions without pay or anything, and has since been promoted.

If my family member was following the precinct policy, this wouldn't have happened. He deserved to lose his badge and deserved to at least stand trial for it.

Compare this to how a CO in the Navy would handle a sailor who knowingly abandons his watch so his buddy can sexually assault a a subordinate.

Cops are held accountable
Not to the right standards.

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Hey mods - why can’t I ignore wink?

kinda had my fill of fascist screeds, you know

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey mods - why can’t I ignore wink?

kinda had my fill of fascist screeds, you know
Could be that he's a Mod? Dunno, try ignoring another mod to see. That might be a config issue one of the admins can work.

jmcquate

Contributor
I really miss baseball. I never realized how dependent I had become on the Indians dashing away my hopes and dreams year after year.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really miss baseball. I never realized how dependent I had become on the Indians dashing away my hopes and dreams year after year.
Hey, we'll always have the Brownies, too . . . and the Cavs, too, now that they're back in their usual spot in the basement.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor

KBO is live tomorrow morning at 0525 EDT on ESPN with an exciting match up between the Lotte Giants and the KIA Tigers.

Draft Kings Analysis:

The Tigers will send Aaron Brooks ($8,000) to the mound for what will be his sixth start of the season. He’s largely performed well in the early going, allowing three runs or less in four of his first five outings. Opposing him will be Kyung Eun Noh ($7,000), who has historically allowed way too many base runners. He entered this season having recorded a WHIP of at least 1.61 in four of the last five years and he has a 1.57 WHIP across his first four starts of 2020.

ODDS DETAILS
  • Moneyline: KIA Tigers (-205) | Lotte Giants (+160)