• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We almost agree. Your use of the word “cliche” indicates that you are among those who think people are willing to stop “if only they can make this one change.” They won’t, but keep imagining that humans are reasonable...now that is a cliche. Need some evidence?

There are always folks who want to take it too far but that should not discredit the fact that some change should happen, like why on earth is Lee one of the two statues representing Virginia in the Capitol?! Or much like the how the recent rioters shouldn't discredit the hundreds of thousands of citizens who are peacefully protesting.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation

taxi1

pilot
Those bases were named as a nod to 'local' pride when the only 'locals' we were acknowledging were the white ones who happened to be enforcing segregation of their fellow black citizens through Jim Crow laws and terrorizing them.
It really is that simple.

Fort Bragg was established in 1918. Just down the road this happened the same year. And again. And again.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I give it a better than even chance that they change during the next Democratic administration.
Not a chance that a Dem President takes this on. The political cost would almost guarantee a one term presidency.

Republicans could possibly pull it off.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It really is that simple.

Fort Bragg was established in 1918. Just down the road this happened the same year. And again. And again.

It is a tragedy what democrats in America did. It is equally sad that they used the false paradigm of the “Lost Cause” as a bulwark to their unhinged anger. Still, a visit to Fort Bragg today will show you a vastly different army than that of 1918...just as you might (or might not) find a vastly different democrat party. Such is the march of history.

taxi1

pilot
Still, a visit to Fort Bragg today will show you a vastly different army than that of 1918.
???

This has nothing to do with the Army in 1918, and everything with the civilians outside the gate who dictated its naming.

Why no Fort Longstreet?

I grew up in the South, visited all of the civil war sites in VA and PA, am well read up on history, admire the martial prowess of their fighters to this day. (I admire Rommel and Doenitz too). Heck, I am pretty sure I played the confederate in the AOCS Flag Pageant, where the two soldiers march towards each other and dip flags in recognition. Have a copy of the painting of Chamberlain saluting Gordon at Appomattox. Probably had a confederate flag beach towel. Etc. That's just the way the world was, living in the narrative created by the Lost Cause folks during the era of segregation, early last century. Now, as forever.

But once I actually dug into the history of it, going beyond the hagiographies and Lee snow globes in the tourist shops? It's a pretty ugly story. Especially if your heritage is as a slave. These people are our people too.

The statues and place names are efforts by a later generation to rewrite the history of the civil war. It tells an interesting story about what people were thinking in 1918, but it tells a lie about 1860.

There's plenty of heroes from WWI, WWII,..., Afghanistan that are deserving of having a base named after them, that didn't fight to keep the sons and daughters of our fellow citizens enslaved.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

Texas Ranger statue removed from Love Field in Dallas. The man used as a model for the statue was involved in enforcing segregation in 1957. The statue is not there to represent him, it’s for all Texas Rangers. But now it’s gone to protect pussies from make believe oppression.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
???

This has nothing to do with the Army in 1918, and everything with the civilians outside the gate who dictated its naming.

Why no Fort Longstreet?

I grew up in the South, visited all of the civil war sites in VA and PA, am well read up on history, admire the martial prowess of their fighters to this day. (I admire Rommel and Doenitz too). Heck, I am pretty sure I played the confederate in the AOCS Flag Pageant, where the two soldiers march towards each other and dip flags in recognition. Have a copy of the painting of Chamberlain saluting Gordon at Appomattox. Probably had a confederate flag beach towel. Etc. That's just the way the world was, living in the narrative created by the Lost Cause folks during the era of segregation, early last century. Now, as forever.

But once I actually dug into the history of it, going beyond the hagiographies and Lee snow globes in the tourist shops? It's a pretty ugly story. Especially if your heritage is as a slave. These people are our people too.

The statues and place names are efforts by a later generation to rewrite the history of the civil war. It tells an interesting story about what people were thinking in 1918, but it tells a lie about 1860.

There's plenty of heroes from WWI, WWII,..., Afghanistan that are deserving of having a base named after them, that didn't fight to keep the sons and daughters of our fellow citizens enslaved.
Feel free to read my initial post on this topic. I don’t care if they change the names, I simply put out a warning that the reason for their naming is deeper than the simplistic, binary reason others are presenting. I also noted that starting here will open a rather tragic future of re-naming that will reach far deeper than Washington and Jefferson. All of your WWI, WWII...heroes will all be torn down just as quickly as Bragg, or any other. Most of the people involved in this effort know exactly what they are doing...in my business it is called controlling the narrative...they are not attacking the terrain of “truth” or “discovering “actual” history, they are attacking the map. They are trying to tear down what they imagine is the cherished history of a voting bloc that does not agree with them. They are not the first, you allude to it with the Lost Cause types did it in the early 20th Century. The history they are producing will be as vacant and empty as that it is replacing.

A Day In The Life

pilot

Texas Ranger statue removed from Love Field in Dallas. The man used as a model for the statue was involved in enforcing segregation in 1957. The statue is not there to represent him, it’s for all Texas Rangers. But now it’s gone to protect pussies from make believe oppression.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Feel free to read my initial post on this topic. I don’t care if they change the names, I simply put out a warning that the reason for their naming is deeper than the simplistic, binary reason others are presenting. I also noted that starting here will open a rather tragic future of re-naming that will reach far deeper than Washington and Jefferson. All of your WWI, WWII...heroes will all be torn down just as quickly as Bragg, or any other. Most of the people involved in this effort know exactly what they are doing...in my business it is called controlling the narrative...they are not attacking the terrain of “truth” or “discovering “actual” history, they are attacking the map. They are trying to tear down what they imagine is the cherished history of a voting bloc that does not agree with them. They are not the first, you allude to it with the Lost Cause types did it in the early 20th Century. The history they are producing will be as vacant and empty as that it is replacing.
I find it delightfully amusing that those southerners today who decry the “erasing of history,” would, more than likely, be unable to list the belligerents from WWII, or locate North Korea on a map, or any other significant detail about history. I‘m not interested in letting rubes make important decisions.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On some level, I'm willing to grant (ahem) that the South needed a few generations to process and recover from what happened. They're the only area of the US that has actually lost a war against a peer opponent, and then been conquered and occupied, with all that does to a population's psyche. I understand and support what Chamberlain did at Appomatox, saluting the rebel army and starting the healing process, because I think the alternative could have been even worse if white Confederates felt they had their backs to the wall.

But my family also wore Federal blue. Back in our history, one of my ancestors lost a brother in service of freeing the slaves. He left Pennsylvania to join Lincoln's army, never to return. I have no qualms acknowledging the Confederate leaders for what they were . . . traitors and oathbreakers. That time is done. It shouldn't be glorified. Remembered, yes, but not honored.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I find it delightfully amusing that those southerners today who decry the “erasing of history,” would, more than likely, be unable to list the belligerents from WWII, or locate North Korea on a map, or any other significant detail about history. I‘m not interested in letting rubes make important decisions.
Brett level 10. What an absolutely idiotic post.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think that the detail that is lost is that political and military leaders used to put allegiance to the states over the federal government. This value system didn't fully shift until the 20th century and WWI/II.

From a moral 'what do I do perspective,' Lee was faced with three choices:

1) Support the Union. This would abandon his values of allegiance to state over federal government.

2) Support the Confederacy, even though he understood the cause was dubious.

3) Resign his commission, which he viewed as an act of cowardice.

Thomas Jefferson used to refer to Virginia as 'my country.' We can't lose sight of this mentality when we analyze the decisions of civil war leaders to declare their allegiance. We also shouldn't lose sight of the rampid racism that existed in the north. Justice Clarence Thomas said the most racist place he ever lived was the northeast US. NY remains as one of the top 5 most segregated cities in America; it's broken up to [insert race/ethnicity/religion] neighborhoods.

Last edited: