• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Please show some evidence of white supremacists rioting. I’ve heard it over and over but I haven’t seen it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing shitty things, but it sounds a lot like the “both sides” cop out when it’s anything but both sides. It’s the rule of law versus extremists

I’ve heard people try to make this assertion as well lately, with no evidence to back it up. Seen PLENTY of Antifa (mostly bused in from out of state), but no neo-Nazis or white supremacists.

“Well I read about it in Salon.com!!”

Okay, then show me a picture of the white supremacists at the protest.

“Well I don’t have a picture, but the article said they were there!! And so did CNN!!”

??‍♂️

My uncle retired from the LAPD as a Sergeant after 20 years. The only time he ever saw a white supremacist... was in a training film.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I think that these riots are revealing that there is a significant minority of people who have no concept of how they are required to interact with LEO, let alone how they should.

Yes, police are legally allowed to tell people what to do. Yes, they are legally allowed to use force to get people to comply or detain them if they don't cooperate.

Furthermore, if the police are answering a call for a riot against LEOs, they're scared as hell, so people acting erratic and verbally threatening them just so they can be YouTube martyrs isn't going to go well for anyone.

What Chauvin did is abhorrent, and the police writ large clearly have a huge PR problem due to decades of not holding bad apples accountable. Hell, they even made a great fictional movie, First Blood, based on the trope of a power abusing rural cop in the late 1970s.

But extrapolating that citizens have a right to not only disregard, but also to verbally abuse and physically threaten police is a leap too far.

Last edited:

RoarkJr.

Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force. Strong thread.

It’s difficult to capture everything wrong with that but I’ll try.

First of all, he is the senior enlisted leader of the Air Force who happens to be black, NOT the other way around. Putting it the other way tells us his focus and loyalty lies with his race (i.e., tribe) first. Dangerous attitude for a man in charge of Americans of all backgrounds.

Statistics show that black people are not disproportionately targeted by police. Black people commit a disproportionate amount of crime compared to their percentage of the population, which increases their exposure to police. Why isn’t he talking about the lack of fathers in the black community? But saying this is “violence” while rioting and looting are “free speech.” game is rigged, so why play? -paraphrasing Tucker Carleson.

He says, roughly, that we “can’t know” how it feels to be black in this country, no matter what. This discredits the racial violence committed across the spectrum of ethnicities/races in this country, does not reflect the equality of opportunity that exists here, and paints a picture of a backward and regressing U.S., which it’s the opposite. Dangerous lines of thinking when most of the troops he’s leading don’t even know who we fought it WW2, when the Civil War was, and subscribe to cultural relativism.

I would not be surprised if he eventually has to retract/clarify a lot of that.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Wink, as a former quasi LEO, if you're not embarrassed by the actions of these clowns, then you're part of the problem.

Confirming my original take, you're living in a bubble, and you're part of the problem.
The fact that so many of you are making excuses for these cops who got it wrong and roughed up the wrong guy is telling. You’re part of the problem.

Getting pretty sick of people telling me what I should think, how to act, or that I’m part of a problem. Especially when most of them don’t know jack shit about me or my biases or background. Part of the problem is there are so many people willing to tell other Americans what they should or shouldn’t do and the vast majority just want to be left the fuck alone - Including black people.

It’s very concerning that some think it’s ok to tell some one they are part of a “problem” and need to change. Regardless of the veracity or legitimacy of the complaints. Especially in a country that prides itself on liberty.

taxi1

pilot

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s happening constantly, all around us.
If you mean cops killing unarmed black men, I don't think your statement is accurate. Guess it depends on your definition of "constantly". But all sorts of data indicate it is not a constant by any reasonable definition. That race may play a part in more LE fatal encounters with blacks than with white men, sure. It is unfortunately the human condition. But the number is very small and hardly appears to be a constant to me. As a percent of total encounters, it is a blip. That it ever happens is tragic. Just wrong. But over dramatizing it isn't helpful. If it were happening constantly, then many more police would have to be racist killers. Giving that impression is unfair and, again, not helpful.

exNavyOffRec

Here is a question why is it when a person is caught committing a crime do they make the decision to resist or fight with officers, is it the fight or flight reflex? What is it going to accomplish?

I don't know of any officers that find enjoyment in having a suspect resist, I guess a bad officer may see it as an opportunity to exercise excessive force which may be the case in the Floyd case.

This has always been something I didn't understand as I never had a person resist back in the day.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you mean cops killing unarmed black men, I don't think your statement is accurate. Guess it depends on your definition of "constantly".
I think what he means is that when something like this happens, police should unequivocally say 'that behavior was not in accordance with our training and core values. He was fired for his behavior and hopefully the legal system will hold him accountable to the maximum extent possible.'

Instead it becomes a fraternity mentality of us vs them.

The fact that police departments don't say that as a united front across the nation is why we have riots right now. And to me, this is mainly a leadership problem.

Last edited:

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I think what he means is that when something like this happens, police should unequivocally say 'that behavior was not in accordance with our training and core values. He was fired for his behavior and hopefully the legal system will hold him accountable to the maximum extent possible.'

The fact that police departments don't say that as a united front across the nation is why we have riots right now. And to me, this is mainly a leadership problem.

While I agree with you that should be done, I believe the unions are a big reason why they are hesitant to immediately fire someone. The same reason when an airline pilot gets caught trying to fly with alcohol or drugs in his system he or she is not immediately fired. They are usually put on leave until the system runs its course and it is proven that they did something egregious. The union can't help them at that point.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
While I agree with you that should be done, I believe the unions are a big reason why they are hesitant to immediately fire someone. The same reason when an airline pilot gets caught trying to fly with alcohol or drugs in his system he or she is not immediately fired. They are usually put on leave until the system runs its course and it is proven that they did something egregious. The union can't help them at that point.
Right, but that's relatively irrelevant to the messaging. Police tend to band together behind the 'thin blue line' rather than decry behavior that is categorically abhorrent.

Compare and contrast this with the military's attitude and initial policy toward the Gallegher case, and the police PR problem becomes obvious.

Last edited: