• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cops get shit wrong ALL THE TIME!!! What is important is whether or not they were following the rules in the process.
Granted. What society is now asking for is a measure of accountability when they don’t follow the rules. That’s what these protests are about.

SlickAg

pilot
By saying this, you are, again, taking the side of the cops, who we already know had the wrong guy. They’ve already made a serious, potentially life threatening error in judgment, and yet you reflexively give them the benefit of the doubt. This is the exact problem of bias that I am highlighting.
As wink has tried to explain several times, we don’t know why the policemen stopped him for questioning. We, however, had the advantage of KNOWING how the whole thing played out. We knew they were wrong BEFORE we watched the video! That’s why we watched it!

Let’s all make a deal: in the next few days the back story on this will likely come out. I’m sure that man filed a complaint. Someone will FOIA it and the officers will need to have justified their actions shown in the video.

When that happens, we can come back and talk about it. But yes Brett, because I believe in law & order, and the Constitution which I have sworn to support and defend etc etc, I do tend to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt. In general, I find it best to treat my fellow man that way until proven they deserve otherwise.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By saying this, you are, again, taking the side of the cops, who we already know had the wrong guy. They’ve already made a serious, potentially life threatening error in judgment, and yet you reflexively give them the benefit of the doubt. This is the exact problem of bias that I am highlighting.
Would you change your tune if the description they had was tall African American with a red shirt last seen 20 minutes before within a block of that location? If not, well, you need to watch 12 Angry Men again. Unless we know more about what they knew, you can not judge whether their contact was reasonable. That is what a judge or jury would want to know. That is what their supervisor would look to first. But some here don't care? Hang'em and ask questions later? You were a skipped, maybe on a mishap board. Would you draw conclusions based only on a video when you KNEW there was more information to be had? Information that might explain the actions of the crew?

exNavyOffRec

We know the end of the story, we don't know the beginning we are like 2 pages in so to speak if the video was a book, we are debating whether the officers stopping him was right or wrong when we don't know what description the officers were given.

If description was black male then they were wrong.
If description was tall slender black male wearing red shirt and gray pants then stopping him was not wrong but handling of the situation was not ideal.

Trying to prove a point on a video that is not complete is less than ideal.

I did try to find more info on what happened and could not find anything, since the video is from a year ago I would venture that no complaint was filed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would you change your tune if the description they had was tall African American with a red shirt last seen 20 minutes before within a block of that location?
Yes. When that happens, I’ll eat crow. Until then, my position stands.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Granted. What society is now asking for is a measure of accountability when they don’t follow the rules. That’s what these protests are about.
Accepted, of course. Well, except for the rabble surrounding the prosecutor's house and demanding outcomes, not justice. Justice is a process. Many of these people are equating justice with the death penalty. They are making their demands with threats of violence. And hey have successfully cowed many. But all that does is influence what people or businesses say or print. If they say something woke to keep from being savaged on social media or having they house vandalized, children heckled, or business looted, how honest is it? The real protestors need allies. To bring people to their side. Forget the actual violence. Lots of these protest leaders and social equality warriors make threats just the same. They are not bringing people along. Before all the facts are known, before the PROCESS of justice is carried out, it has been determined what must be said and whos side you are on. If not. You will pay. When the threat of riots and bad press or boycotts have passed nothing said, done or pledged by threat of force will endure. Then 15 years from now we will all complain about how nothing ever changes.

SlickAg

pilot
“The officers believed they recognized a person known to have an arrest warrant for assault. The individual was roughly the same height, weight and age of the individual the officer believed to have a warrant. Officers approached the male and asked him his name. The individual was not cooperative in identifying himself to officers.”

“The officers determined they had reasonable suspicion to detain the individual and determine his identity. During the brief detention, identification was located showing he was not the individual the officers knew had a warrant. The individual was immediately released. Contrary to social media rumors, the individual was not a Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) agent.”

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well then. Only real difference between us is that I happened to demand crucial facts before I call people racist clowns. In my opinion, the bar is a good bit too low for you. Sorry. We need beers. I can think of at least two scenarios in just this moment where as a CO reasonable actions you might take would look racist as hell, until crucial facts not know to the public, let alone your boss, were known. There but for the grace of God... oh wait, that's right, a heathen aren't ya. ? But that's alright. I am certain you get my drift.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Accepted, of course. Well, except for the rabble surrounding the prosecutor's house and demanding outcomes, not justice. Justice is a process. Many of these people are equating justice with the death penalty. They are making their demands with threats of violence. And hey have successfully cowed many. But all that does is influence what people or businesses say or print. If they say something woke to keep from being savaged on social media or having they house vandalized, children heckled, or business looted, how honest is it? The real protestors need allies. To bring people to their side. Forget the actual violence. Lots of these protest leaders and social equality warriors make threats just the same. They are not bringing people along. Before all the facts are known, before the PROCESS of justice is carried out, it has been determined what must be said and whos side you are on. If not. You will pay. When the threat of riots and bad press or boycotts have passed nothing said, done or pledged by threat of force will endure. Then 15 years from now we will all complain about how nothing ever changes.
OK, hold the hell up here . . . people protested peacefully in Seattle for over FOUR HOURS last weekend before a second group joined in and started wrecking shit. There are two separate groups of people here. One is largely peaceful and composed of normal people, and the other seems to be some jacked-up mixture of street gangs, white supremacists, Antifa thugs, and/or opportunistic looter punks. The latter is hijacking the protests of the former for their own motives, which have nothing to do with George Floyd. At least that seems to be what's gone down in greater Seattle.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well then. Only real difference between us is that I happened to demand crucial facts before I call people racist clowns. In my opinion, the bar is a good bit too low for you. Sorry. We need beers. I can think of at least two scenarios in just this moment where as a CO reasonable actions you might take would look racist as hell, until crucial facts not know to the public, let alone your boss, were known. There but for the grace of God... oh wait, that's right, a heathen aren't ya. ? But that's alright. I am certain you get my drift.
Ever go with your gut, Wink? Happens in the airplane all the time. You make a judgment based on experience when you don’t have all the truth data you might have hoped for. Most of the time, it’s a good call. It would be one thing if this were an isolated incident... but it isn’t. It’s happening constantly, all around us. I used to waive It away too, like so many here. I’m done with that. I hope you can find a place in your heart to join me some day. There may even be beers there.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
OK, hold the hell up here . . . people protested peacefully in Seattle for over FOUR HOURS last weekend before a second group joined in and started wrecking shit. There are two separate groups of people here. One is largely peaceful and composed of normal people, and the other seems to be some jacked-up mixture of street gangs, white supremacists, Antifa thugs, and/or opportunistic looter punks. The latter is hijacking the protests of the former for their own motives, which have nothing to do with George Floyd. At least that seems to be what's gone down in greater Seattle.
Please show some evidence of white supremacists rioting. I’ve heard it over and over but I haven’t seen it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing shitty things, but it sounds a lot like the “both sides” cop out when it’s anything but both sides. It’s the rule of law versus extremists

Mos

None
I don't think all cops are bad, but I've seen enough footage and read enough stories that I will assume any cop I encounter is an irrational threat to my safety. Police departments across this country have earned the reputation they have.

As for rioters, I don't expect any at my door, but my weapon of choice is an aluminum baseball bat. Guns are too impersonal.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I don't think all cops are bad, but I've seen enough footage and read enough stories that I will assume any cop I encounter is an irrational threat to my safety. Police departments across this country have earned the reputation they have.

As for rioters, I don't expect any at my door, but my weapon of choice is an aluminum baseball bat. Guns are too impersonal.
A bat doesn’t work against a mob. There are a lot of videos showing that fact in the last few days. But hey it’s your right to not protect yourself

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please show some evidence of white supremacists rioting. I’ve heard it over and over but I haven’t seen it. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re doing shitty things, but it sounds a lot like the “both sides” cop out when it’s anything but both sides. It’s the rule of law versus extremists
I don't owe you a research project just because I described allegations I've seen made.