• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions after DCO Select

db619

Below is my overall timeline from when I first talked with the recruiter until now.

First OR Contact - 5/19
Interviews (3) - 4/20
MEPS - 5/20
Missed Board - 6/20
Board Date - 2/21
Selected - 3/21
Selection Letter - 6/21
Date of Rank - 6/21
Oath/Commission Date - 6/21
Report Date - 8/21
Gained - 11/21
1st Drill - 12/21
ODS - 7/22

warthog_az

Below is my overall timeline from when I first talked with the recruiter until now.

First OR Contact - 5/19
Interviews (3) - 4/20
MEPS - 5/20
Missed Board - 6/20
Board Date - 2/21
Selected - 3/21
Selection Letter - 6/21
Date of Rank - 6/21
Report Date - 8/21
Gained - 11/21
1st Drill - 12/21
ODS - 7/22
So you had your panel interview on 4/20 and you went to the board 2/21 and found out you were selected a month later in 3/21?

db619

So you had your panel interview on 4/20 and you went to the board 2/21 and found out you were selected a month later in 3/21?
No sorry, I must have misunderstood. I did not have to do a panel interview, just 3 interviews with officers from the CEC community. I’m in the reserves and thought the panel interview was only for active duty.

RJS

First OR Contact - 5/19
Interviews (3) - 4/20
MEPS - 5/20
Missed Board - 6/20
Board Date - 2/21
Selected - 3/21
Selection Letter - 6/21
Date of Rank - 6/21
Report Date - 8/21
Gained - 11/21
1st Drill - 12/21
ODS - 7/22
Tomorrow will be the first week after selection. Given your timeline of the date in between selection, and receipt of your selection letter, how often did you touch base with your OR on status? I want to ensure that I properly engage with my OR given that he’s maintaining a workload of other selectees, possible candidates, GMT, and any other duties assigned. I’m sure that those months are to give ample time for security clearance, drafted/sign RRA, unit attachment, etc.

OAN: For the time being, I’ve been present on MyNavyHR for uniform regulations and career playbooks for the Supply Community. Took an opportunity to visit the NEX to check out uniform costs and fitting. ?? Catching up with a few close friends in, and outside, of the community for mentorship and guidance.

db619

Tomorrow will be the first week after selection. Given your timeline of the date in between selection, and receipt of your selection letter, how often did you touch base with your OR on status? I want to ensure that I properly engage with my OR given that he’s maintaining a workload of other selectees, possible candidates, GMT, and any other duties assigned. I’m sure that those months are to give ample time for security clearance, drafted/sign RRA, unit attachment, etc.

OAN: For the time being, I’ve been present on MyNavyHR for uniform regulations and career playbooks for the Supply Community. Took an opportunity to visit the NEX to check out uniform costs and fitting. ?? Catching up with a few close friends in, and outside, of the community for mentorship and guidance.
My OR was really good and he would randomly call me to keep me updated. I think I only reached out to him a couple times during that period to see if he had heard anything yet. By the time we finally got my package sent to the board it had almost been two years so I had gone through all the ups and downs of the process numerous times so I wasn't as eager as I was in the beginning. If I were you, I would reach out about every week to see if they have heard anything with at least a text so they remember to check up on it.

RJS

My OR was really good and he would randomly call me to keep me updated. I think I only reached out to him a couple times during that period to see if he had heard anything yet. By the time we finally got my package sent to the board it had almost been two years so I had gone through all the ups and downs of the process numerous times so I wasn't as eager as I was in the beginning. If I were you, I would reach out about every week to see if they have heard anything with at least a text so they remember to check up on it.
@db619 thanks for responding. I'll reach out later this week since there was a holiday. That way, time is given for others to come back from leave or liberty. Thanks again.

navyrph

I think I interviewed in June of last year for the August board and got the selection call the week before Thanksgiving.
Thank you number9 for your reply. Apologize for not responding you earlier. My both interview were done in April 6th and April 11th. My NC1 told me my folder went to June15th Board. I am eagerly waiting to hear back. how long you think it will take? Any suggestions and guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

navyrph

navyrph- How far into the process are you? Did you have your panel interview this month?
Warthog_az, thank you so much for your response. Apologize for responding late. I had my 2 interviews on April 6th and April 11th. NC1 informed me my folder went to Jen15th Board selection. I am eagerly waiting to hear back. How long you think if will take? Any suggestions/guidance would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

fy18dco

Thank you number9 for your reply. Apologize for not responding you earlier. My both interview were done in April 6th and April 11th. My NC1 told me my folder went to June15th Board. I am eagerly waiting to hear back. how long you think it will take? Any suggestions and guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.
You will not hear back until mid-November. Please do not spam your recruiter until the late October time frame at the earliest. Your recruiter will not have any information to provide you until the board results are released in late fall.

RJS

Reached out to my OR on today requesting any updates to unit assignment, RRA, etc. He stated that he had not heard back from the Supply Community and keep me updated.

A few hours ago, I check my mail and find that I had received the “Reserve Supply Corps Welcome Aboard” Letter. At the bottom it states that prior to signing the Ready Reserve Agreement I should reach out to my Reserve Supply Corps Regional DCO Manager to find the most appropriate training unit. So which one is it? I mean, I have intentions on contacting them tomorrow but don’t want reinvent this wheel. Any thoughts or experiences on this?

TheClyde

Reached out to my OR on today requesting any updates to unit assignment, RRA, etc. He stated that he had not heard back from the Supply Community and keep me updated.

A few hours ago, I check my mail and find that I had received the “Reserve Supply Corps Welcome Aboard” Letter. At the bottom it states that prior to signing the Ready Reserve Agreement I should reach out to my Reserve Supply Corps Regional DCO Manager to find the most appropriate training unit. So which one is it? I mean, I have intentions on contacting them tomorrow but don’t want reinvent this wheel. Any thoughts or experiences on this?
Just for some perspective, I received word of my selection in mid-August last year....COMMDOCS weren't ready until the last week of Feb. I received an email from the Regional DCO Manager within two weeks of selection. That note about unit selection wasn't in our letter. I personally don't think there is a rush to reach out, but if you don't hear in another week or so maybe do it then.

Reactions: RJS

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
You'll wait for the commissioning documents (COMDOCS) to be generated at the NAVRESFOR level, which can take about 35-45 days. During this time, your OR may ask you to re-sign some docs, and sign some new ones as well.

Over the past couple years, I've seen NAVRESFOR drop JO's into units that don't match their designator, or even their community. We got a nurse one time. If you know what type of unit you should be in, it might be a good idea to help your OR help CNRC out, but giving them a list that makes sense.

Once you swear in, identify your closest NOSC and get the drill schedule. Proactively contact them and get confirmed for indoc. You don't exist until you are gained by NOSC Manpower dept. Don't expect the NOSC to know everything that you have to do. They only know the (minimum) things that they are required to do to get you in the door. As a commissioned officer, you need to really take care of yourself the first 90 days. That's long enough to find a mentor (ship/shore daddy) to help you sort things out.

Never give up your original, and make five hard copies + digital of everything.

Any time you contact a NOSC dept, get in the habit of CC'ing the NOSC XO. It teaches folks how to not lose emails.
Three years later, and everything remains valid, except for the alphabet soup that the NOSC (now NRC) uses for certain things....

All who are new to the game, congrats. To you old heads, don't let your salt rub off on the newbies; they'll get their own soon enough.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815

Definitely reach out to your community lead. 1) establish direct contact; you'll learn more/faster with a direct feed of "who's who in the zoo, and best/closest places to land. 1.1) People (generally/eventually) promote. Having a "lifeline" early on can smooth some minor oversights that potentially could become larger issues. 2)make your recruiter's job of getting you off their docket as easy as possible. This is in your own best interest and reduces miscommunications. 2.1) copy your recruiter (and yourself on all correspondence).

Can't stress this enough - A)Keep hard/digital copies of everything. B)If you have a phone call with someone, get their Rank/Name (correct spelling), and position title. Immediately follow up with an email (CC'ing yourself) to confirm facts/details/timelines. Folks (generally) aren't trying to sink you, but the NRC staff isn't always going to expend energy to prioritize your request.

RJS

Three years later, and everything remains valid, except for the alphabet soup that the NOSC (now NRC) uses for certain things....

All who are new to the game, congrats. To you old heads, don't let your salt rub off on the newbies; they'll get their own soon enough.
Was notified on 28 JUN of selection, spoke with OR (11 JUL), received welcome aboard letter (11 JUL), reached out to the Reserve Supply Corps Regional DCO Manager, who then put me in touch with the Regional Mentors for unit assignment (13 JUL). Definitely seeing that the timeline remains unchanged.

Also to note the the Regional Mentor asked my preference of unit assignment. Was a good thing having spoke to a colleague who’s a Reserve Supply Officer. Pretty much requested to be attached to that unit since we work together. And he was okay with that. Said it would be a week, or two, until I hear something back from him.

I’m being careful with working with my OR. Lol. I’m not to fund of having the process take longer than it needs to be.

Last edited: