• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about TBS/IFS

deeregirl

I'm picking up with Bravo in Jan and i was wondering if anyone had any cold weather gear tips? what kind of underarmour is acceptable?

Also about IFS...has anyone done IFS after TBS? how was it? was it difficult? is it worth it before API? i live in the northern va area where is IFS at? do you have to do it at quantico?

sorry for all the questions...any answer would help!:)

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
i was wondering if anyone had any cold weather gear tips? what kind of underarmour is acceptable?

most TBS companies restrict underarmour to green only. there are other manufacturers that make similar gear, so don't get hung up on the brand. you'll get issued a modest complement of cold-wx gear.

has anyone done IFS after TBS?

yes, many people do.

how was it? was it difficult? is it worth it before API?

after TBS, it'll be like a vacation, except for the stupid M Co stuff you have to do. this isn't too different from the waiting pool down in MATSG-21, so don't think the grass is all that greener down here.

i live in the northern va area where is IFS at? do you have to do it at quantico?

the last I checked, IFS is done in 3 places in the Quantico area: Quantico, Dulles (Manassas), and some other place in Manassas. You can make a request to Mr. Stark, but don't expect too much. He'll assign where you go. There are pros and cons to each; check the IFS board for discussion on that. If you want to go elsewhere, that's non-standard, and you'll have to sit down with the M Co XO for discussion on that. My guess is that you'll have to go PTAD somewhere to fulfill that request. Don't expect them to pull a lot of strings for your special request, though.

Lastly, since it seems you're pretty new to the board, there are several forums grouped by topic that answer the same basic questions you probably have. The forum includes a search function, so try using that for basic questions before you post a new thread.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
IFS is a damn good time. You'll have fun. I did it immediately after TBS before heading down to P-cola. Only one person in our company had trouble, and he is now at adjutant school. Yes, you rank your preference of location, and get placed according to company rank and number of spots available. Try to get Dulles or Quantico, as they are known for getting LTs cranked through quickly.
Underarmor regs will be different depending on your company officers. Some allow far different things than others. Most will let your wear anything, as long as its that tactical green or black.

wrk

Last I heard Capt XXXX had become the XO of Mike Company. This guy was my SPC and he absolutely HATES pilots. IFS was pretty chill and a very nice break after TBS but it could be a whole new world now that this guy is the XO.

I did IFS at Manassas with Dulles Avation. They really run a top-notch flight school. Most of the instructors are really cool and in their early 20s. The flying part is a blast, the being in Mike company part isn't. But I guess it's better than being in M Co after being rolled back.

Whalebite

I remember hearing underarmor is not permitted for Marines, has to do with the fact that if it catches fire it shrinks and melts, unlike natural products. I believe the reg took effect while I was at TBS, but I cant find the reg.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I remember hearing underarmor is not permitted for Marines, has to do with the fact that if it catches fire it shrinks and melts, unlike natural products. I believe the reg took effect while I was at TBS, but I cant find the reg.

Every winter company this year wore Under Armor... its permitted, as catching fire isn't a terribly pressing risk at TBS. Like was mentioned above, if your company staff okays it, and most do, its fine. They even encouraged to by the cheaper version as a company buy through the px...

bdhallsey

Underarmor isnt allowed to be worn on deployment, but in garrision its fine.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Don't go crazy with underarmour gear. One set (shirt and trou) should be fine. Don't wear it for humps or PT; just on FEX's and the coldest of Land Navs.

nocal80

Harriers
pilot
Last I heard Capt XXXX had become the XO of Mike Company. This guy was my SPC and he absolutely HATES pilots. IFS was pretty chill and a very nice break after TBS but it could be a whole new world now that this guy is the XO.

what an a-hole, seriously.

after TBS, it'll be like a vacation, except for the stupid M Co stuff you have to do. this isn't too different from the waiting pool down in MATSG-21, so don't think the grass is all that greener down here

I have to agree with the guy who said the grass is greener down there. Come on, pensacola vs quantico? real tough call there.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I guess for single dudes living in the Q, Pensacola is a much nicer environment. I'll still take Adams Morgan over downtown P'Cola any day. Maybe I don't appreciate the beaches as much as most guys do either.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
Another thing to remember about UnderArmour is that its not necessarily a warming layer. Don't expect to stay warm if you're wearing it and just standing around. By moving around, the body heat you generate is prevented from escaping by the UnderArmour, and that is what keeps you warm. We learned that one the hard way out at the classroom at the range when it decided to get freakishly cold one day.

Another thing we learned that day is Gore-Tex is not a warming layer, according to one of the SPCs...

Raptor2216

Last I heard XXXX had become the XO of Mike Company. This guy was my SPC and he absolutely HATES pilots. IFS was pretty chill and a very nice break after TBS but it could be a whole new world now that this guy is the XO.

He is not the XO. The current XO is the total opposite of capt. XXXX and he is a pilot himself. Don't fret about IFS because it is about the best time of your life while you are here and you will miss it dearly when its over. I suggest that you try to get swim qual out of the way while you are doing IFS because it will save you the trouble of having to do it during zero week or keep you from doing remedial if you aren't a good swimmer. Use your time wisely because IFS does not take up all your time. When you aren't flying during the day, you are pretty much on your own program so make the best use of it. If you play the game right, you won't have to worry about working parties.