• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about TBS/IFS

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Names of Active Duty Officers will not be posted in this or any other thread without their permision. consider this a warning for all!

Junior

pilot
Names of Active Duty Officers will not be posted in this or any other thread without their permision. consider this a warning for all!
To piggy back. It is extremely disrespectful and stupid. You never know who is reading your posts. Be somewhat intelligent.

Raptor2216

Plantoon commander, The Ugly American, The passion of command

This is what we had to read and i'm pretty sure the first two are required for all companies. The third book was required for our company.

RyanVR

we read With the Old Breed, Ender's Game, The Village, and The Ugly American

Also regarding your IFS questions. Many Lts from my company did IFS once they got down to Pensacola. It gets you out of the pool for a month or two so that is always a plus. When I did it the choices were Mobile, Pensacola Regional, Eglin AFB, and Destin. I did IFS out of Eglin and it was a good experience, long ass drive though. If you're not a mongoloid you shouldn't have any problems with IFS, that being said there have been at least 3 Lts from my company that failed IFS for various reasons and are no longer in the aviation pipeline.

BOC 1-06, Alpha Company

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
I did my IFS in Manassas, VA. They didn't give us the option of going to P'cola prior to finishing it. If you were already done with it because you did it in your home town, you were on the first trip to Florida. Otherwise you stayed in VA until you were done.
Mobile is a solid half hour drive from P'cola, as well as Eglin from what I understand. I had a friend do his IFS at Eglin and he would tell me bout how it was an hour drive with traffic sometimes. Don't know about Destin.

As far as cold weather gear... I was Bravo '04... we did snap in on the rifle range in 4 inches of ice and snow. It didn't matter how much cold weather gear you had. My only reccomendation on the whole gear issue is that keep in mind how much your s&!t weighs. Cause you have to carry it out there, and back.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
To add to required reading, our platoon had to read "7 Habits of Highly Effective People." Cool list of buzzwords to throw around with Majors later in your career.

bdhallsey

Is IFS allways after TBS or is it also done prior to hooking up with a company? I ask because in discussing my request for commission, our OSO secretary was indicating that I should account for 60days of IFS prior to TBS. The posts on this thread seem to indicate IFS is done afterwards...Can someone please clear this up for me?...thanks

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Is IFS allways after TBS or is it also done prior to hooking up with a company? I ask because in discussing my request for commission, our OSO secretary was indicating that I should account for 60days of IFS prior to TBS. The posts on this thread seem to indicate IFS is done afterwards...Can someone please clear this up for me?...thanks

It can be done either way, depending on what the Marine Corps has slots available for...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
OK that being said how do I request/findout if there is going to be space before my TBS class?

Talk to your OSO, they will be able to find out for you and might be able to get you into a slot...HOWEVER, it might be beyond his control...

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
Also, New word on IFS is that all SNA's must complete IFS unless they have a private pilot's or better civilian rating. The old requirement of 25+ hours is no longer in effect.