• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about TBS/IFS

Raptor2216

Also, New word on IFS is that all SNA's must complete IFS unless they have a private pilot's or better civilian rating. The old requirement of 25+ hours is no longer in effect.

Why someone would turn down free time in the air is beyond me, but what do I know.

Raptor2216

They didn't necessarily have a choice...I know a few guys who couldn't do IFS under that guideline

When I was going though it 8 months ago, the head guy at the club told us that the Navy was thinking of turning it into a PPL program instead of just 25hrs of flight time. Did this ever happen or is it still in the works?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
When I was going though it 8 months ago, the head guy at the club told us that the Navy was thinking of turning it into a PPL program instead of just 25hrs of flight time. Did this ever happen or is it still in the works?

Read further up this page...

RivrGuide / Also, New word on IFS is that all SNA's must complete IFS unless they have a private pilot's or better civilian rating. The old requirement of 25+ hours is no longer in effect.

Raptor2216

Read further up this page...

I wasn't refering to that. Like everyone who has completed IFS up to this point, I only received 25 hours of total flight time. We were told that the Navy actually wanted to give Lt's a PPL instead of just the 25 hours, which really didn't get us anywhere. I just wanted to know if that is still being decided on and what the navy plan on doing in the future.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I wasn't refering to that. Like everyone who has completed IFS up to this point, I only received 25 hours of total flight time. We were told that the Navy actually wanted to give Lt's a PPL instead of just the 25 hours, which really didn't get us anywhere. I just wanted to know if that is still being decided on and what the navy plan on doing in the future.

What the Navy will do in the future is anyones guess, rumors always abound. For what little it is worth, I would be willing to bet that they will keep it limited to the current 25 hrs. Remember, IFS is not there to "get you somewhere" or to train you how to fly, it is only there to give you a taste of aviation in general. In fact they want to prevent students from learning bad habits, 25 hrs gives a good intro without allowing them to get into habit patterns. Besides, when it comes down to it the Navy doesn't have a limitless budget, a PPL for every student would AT LEAST double the cost of the program with few if any benefits in retention or attrition.

I would be surprised if they took up that policy change, but then again stranger things have happened.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
As of 04 the requirement was having done a solo XC, not 25 hours or a PPL. I had over 25 hours, had solos under my belt, but no PPL. I did IFS.

When did they officially change it to PPL?