• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about 1/C Aviation Cruise

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You're kidding me right?

The only thing i would expect a Middie on cruise to know about a NATOPS is what it is. If he/she really wants to know what life is like, find a JO just to explain how the chapters are organized.

Memory items? Yeah. How to egress.

Ops limits? Not so much.

haha....one day I was in the RR and got bored, so I started flipping through a NATOPS manual that was lying around. Needless to say within seconds I was being laughed at.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
haha....one day I was in the RR and got bored, so I started flipping through a NATOPS manual that was lying around. Needless to say within seconds I was being laughed at.

Rightfully so. I had to do a double-take when I read JCM's post - surely you jest. The only thing a mid needs to know about the jet is to sit down and STFU. If he needs to egress, command eject will take care of it. Exactly what kind of "critical crew position" would a non-NATOPS qualified person ever be placed into?

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rightfully so. I had to do a double-take when I read JCM's post - surely you jest. The only thing a mid needs to know about the jet is to sit down and STFU. If he needs to egress, command eject will take care of it. Exactly what kind of "critical crew position" would a non-NATOPS qualified person ever be placed into?

Brett

I'm not sure how it could be applicable in an E-6, but we would have mids take a simplified closed-book when flying w/ us. The logic was that there are a couple of EPs that the pilot can't execute because something is out of reach and we can't have someone switch seats. In reality, as a HAC flying w/ a mid/stash ensign, I knew I was on my own, so I just didn't expect anything from the left seat if something went down.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure how it could be applicable in an E-6, but we would have mids take a simplified closed-book when flying w/ us. The logic was that there are a couple of EPs that the pilot can't execute because something is out of reach and we can't have someone switch seats. In reality, as a HAC flying w/ a mid/stash ensign, I knew I was on my own, so I just didn't expect anything from the left seat if something went down.

We would never put a Mid up front, so I guess there's a bit of community specificity to consider, but I'd love to hear someone try to talk their way out of placing a Mid in a "critical" position in a post-mishap scenario. I guess what I'm trying to convey is, if a Mid is allowed to do it, it can't really be that critical.

Brett

MasterBates

Our mids just had 1 basic EP to do in the Sim. Loss of TR Drive. Pull the PCLs off when the HAC said, that was it.

Other than that, I just let them fly the sim, and if they wanted I talked them through some basic EPs as a "nice to know".

To fly, they just got egress qualled. Same as a SWO PCO would.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
For those of you who have the access, look up the class "C" that went down with a mid in one seat. The HAC was demonstrating an Auto, and the mid got all he could ever hope for. (I think it was HSL, but not positive).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
For those of you who have the access, look up the class "C" that went down with a mid in one seat. The HAC was demonstrating an Auto, and the mid got all he could ever hope for. (I think it was HSL, but not positive).

*lucky* him :eek:

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Except the walk from the BOQ on North Island to the main gate for a taxi or the bus stop/ ferry that took 30-40 mins. get a rental car, its cheap and if you dont need it or are drinking, dont use it, have a few middies all chip in for a week and youre good to go.

I've walked from the pier to the gate, and vice versa, completely obliterated. It's not that far. You can waste your money if you want to, but I'd just suck it up.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
For those of you who end up doing a cruise at a VP or HS/HSL/HC squadron flight time will probably be more plentiful than guys who get sent to VFA squadrons. Reason being there's a lot more room in the back of a helo or P-3 than there are in Hornets. For guys sent to P-3 or helo squadrons sometimes all you have to do is ask to go flying. I actually ended up getting to go on a sub hunting exercise with the HSL squadron I was with because I asked. I can't say I understood much at the time but it was better than any other summer job I could have been doing.

That said, don't be a tool, just like has been previously said. Hang around the squadron, play foosball in the ready room, do FOD walks and aircraft wash downs with the maintainers, ask the SDO if you can help out with anything. It can pay big dividends to not be the ghost midshipman. I cannot stress enough having a good joke ready for an AOM. You will be called on to tell one if you go.

If you're lucky enough to get sent to San Diego, enjoy Pacific Beach and the I-Bar with the other middies. See if you can get someone at the I-Bar to teach you how to play dice. Split up the cost of a rental and draw straws as to who has to be the unlucky one that drives. Guys I hung out with on my 1/c cruise were good friends to have while going through the training pipeline a year later.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
For those of you who end up doing a cruise at a VP...

We flew our mids everyday, as much as they wanted to. How much flightime a Mid gets has way more to do with the squadron itself and their Mid training program (or lack thereof) vice the overall community.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may have to pay a little more if youre under 25. Its some gay policy since most rental places require you to be 25. But if you show them your orders, they waive the age thing but charge you some retarded "under 25" fee. Check out the base car rental near the exchange. I rented a car from them for a few days and didnt spend more than $80.

There is a reason for this, it's called statistics. Drivers under 25, especially men, are statistically worse than those over 25. Same reason for insurance premium variations.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Not too hate, but you Mids get all the fun! I would love to go on cruise this summer instead of taking classes, but that isn't part of my program. Live it up gentlemen.