• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about 1/C Aviation Cruise

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Except the walk from the BOQ on North Island to the main gate for a taxi or the bus stop/ ferry that took 30-40 mins. get a rental car, its cheap and if you dont need it or are drinking, dont use it, have a few middies all chip in for a week and youre good to go.

hopefully SD rental rates are better than at some of the more remote areas. I paid nearly $250 for a weekend rental of a Herz car at Lemoore :eek:

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
hopefully SD rental rates are better than at some of the more remote areas. I paid nearly $250 for a weekend rental of a Herz car at Lemoore :eek:

You may have to pay a little more if youre under 25. Its some gay policy since most rental places require you to be 25. But if you show them your orders, they waive the age thing but charge you some retarded "under 25" fee. Check out the base car rental near the exchange. I rented a car from them for a few days and didnt spend more than $80.

Yea, dont be a tool around the squadron. We had a dude who thought he was God's gift because he was sporting a flight suit with patches. Lets just say no one wanted to hang out with him....ever. Ask questions and take advantage of the area (if its a good one, i.e. San Dog). I did my 3/C and 1/C cruises in SD and i had a blast. Well....considering I'm from SD :D

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You may have to pay a little more if youre under 25. Its some gay policy since most rental places require you to be 25. But if you show them your orders, they waive the age thing but charge you some retarded "under 25" fee. Check out the base car rental near the exchange. I rented a car from them for a few days and didn't spend more than $80.

Yea, dont be a tool around the squadron. We had a dude who thought he was God's gift because he was sporting a flight suit with patches. Lets just say no one wanted to hang out with him....ever. Ask questions and take advantage of the area (if its a good one, i.e. San Dog). I did my 3/C and 1/C cruises in SD and i had a blast. Well....considering I'm from SD :D

Concur, in Hawaii there was only one rental car company that rented to individuals under 21, and it was an additional $50 a day on top of the $25 a day rental fee, thankfully the coast was split between 4 middies so it was manageable, and still a much better deal than the taxi's that gouged you...

And THAT guy on our cruise was "Mouth", not as bad but still...

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
"That guy" on my cruise wanted us to called him--I sh!t you not--Maverick. He wasn't our favorite.

He got very gently told to clean up his act by an O-4 at the I-bar before they closed for the night, and he had no idea what he was talking about. Do NOT be that guy.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Don't be that guy who shoes up and puts down something like
f18hornetpilot@.... or something like that down for your recall. Oh yeah, and no topgun music for a ring tone either.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
"That guy" on my cruise wanted us to called him--I sh!t you not--Maverick. He wasn't our favorite.

He got very gently told to clean up his act by an O-4 at the I-bar before they closed for the night, and he had no idea what he was talking about. Do NOT be that guy.

OMG! I heard that story from a buddy way back during API. I didnt know it was actually true.

"No, no, no. There's TWO O's in Tool."

Hahaha :D Count it!

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Don't be that guy who shoes up and puts down something like
f18hornetpilot@.... or something like that down for your recall. Oh yeah, and no topgun music for a ring tone either.

What would be funny is a "f18hornetpilot@...." recall email, but fly P-3s. Yea....now choke yourself.

USN99

USN99
None
MIDNJAC's got it so right

Having reviewed this entire thread from the perspective of being a former squadron skipper, I must say that MIDNJAC has it nailed. If any NROTC mid is getting lined up for an aviation cruise, they should not only read all of MIDNJAC's comments, but memorize them. And that comment about the Tiny Dancer ring tone, priceless. :D

jcm31781

Pensacola or bust!
pilot
Hang out around the Ready Room when your not doing anything. Walk around and see things, ask questions. I hated feeling like a third wheel at 125. Help out if you can. I did a FOD walkdown and helped the SDO now and then with getting a hold of people.

Second that. Also, a lot of squadrons will have a midshipman PQS/JQR for you to get signatures. I know ours does. Try to see it more as another opportunity to excel rather than just a burden. Try to get around to all the different departments and divisions or at least talk to the officers to get a taste of the less glorious aspect of our profession, the ground job. Finally, no need to get heavy into the books but try to at least learn the important stuff about the aircraft, such as memory items & ops limits, especially if you're going to be flying in a critical crew position.

Oh! One more thing: have a good joke.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally, no need to get heavy into the books but try to at least learn the important stuff about the aircraft, such as memory items & ops limits, especially if you're going to be flying in a critical crew position.

Please elaborate.

jcm31781

Pensacola or bust!
pilot
NATOPS...spend a little time reading through it, get familiar with it & learn the critical information but don't try to memorize every note, warning, & caution in three weeks.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're kidding me right?

The only thing i would expect a Middie on cruise to know about a NATOPS is what it is. If he/she really wants to know what life is like, find a JO just to explain how the chapters are organized.

Memory items? Yeah. How to egress.

Ops limits? Not so much.