• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

taxi1

pilot
My dad built a stitched wooden kayak probably 25 years ago now (!). Dunno if it was the company @taxi1 mentioned.

At any rate, I've had it out a few times when I visited, but I'll be damned if I could ever figure out how to eskimo roll. Always ended up stuck at 180 degrees AOB with freshly-cleaned sinuses . . .
On the East Coast there is Chesapeake Light Craft, big time source of kits.

It took me forever to learn to roll. All self-taught. I watched a bunch of videos over and over, then went out to the Pax River beach and tried it...rolled up first time! Wow, that was easy.

It was probably months before I did it again, and it was a mystery why it worked when it did.

If you do it right, it is easy-peasy, and there is no way to do it hard. A very Zen maneuver, for me at least.

I built this kayak for ocean surfing. Have a 3 fin setup on the bottom.

Pags

N/A
pilot
On the East Coast there is Chesapeake Light Craft, big time source of kits.

It took me forever to learn to roll. All self-taught. I watched a bunch of videos over and over, then went out to the Pax River beach and tried it...rolled up first time! Wow, that was easy.

It was probably months before I did it again, and it was a mystery why it worked when it did.

If you do it right, it is easy-peasy, and there is no way to do it hard. A very Zen maneuver, for me at least.

I built this kayak for ocean surfing. Have a 3 fin setup on the bottom.

View attachment 26596
I did ogle the CLC kits a bit...very highly reviewed and sure seems like a fun project. My current distraction is hunting down vintage handtools to be in a position to make a side table by hand this winter.

Rolling depends a lot on the design of the boat. I did some whitewater kayaking in college and we used to take the kayaks to the pool to practice before going to the rivers. It helps a lot of have a skirt and a more unstable kayak. Was pretty important to be able to nail a roll on a class IV river (especially when that river is the one where they filmed Deliverance).

Notanaviator

Contributor
Definitely easier in whitewater kayaks, where I think there’s the assumed “you’re going to end up the wrong way up” factor. That said, not a lot more fun out there. Heading to NC to paddle Nantahala, Pigeon, and Ocoee on Wednesday. Super pumped.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Definitely easier in whitewater kayaks, where I think there’s the assumed “you’re going to end up the wrong way up” factor. That said, not a lot more fun out there. Heading to NC to paddle Nantahala, Pigeon, and Ocoee on Wednesday. Super pumped.
That's awesome! I got into whitewater late in school so only did it for two semesters bht, because ATL is close to a lot of rivers, got to run some cool stuff. Ran chattooga, ocoee upper and lower to include the 96 olympics course, and some others whose names escape me. Never did get to do Tallulah...

taxi1

pilot
I've gotten into paddleboarding in the last few years. You see into the water way better, good balance exercise, no wet exits with reentry, less stuff to fiddle with to get onto the water. Floaty coat, board, paddle. Flat water, on the ocean trying to surf, creeks. Paddled on a local river today, and for the first time was able to park it on a wave below a rock. Tiny wave too, it didn't take much at all. Very cool! Ready to shred. Not.

@Pags, I used to take my sea kayak to the inlet on base at Pax at Hog Point, the one with the pedestrian bridge over it. When the tide is flowing out and there are some waves on the bay, it forms standing waves that slowly move up opposite the tide current. You can park the kayak in them and just ride the wave right into the inlet. I expect it'd work at the Goose Creek one too, but never tried it.

Would love to try it with the paddleboard too.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Spent the past week or so dusting off old toys for the kiddos, including vintage Legos of the pirate and knight variety. Also found a bunch of plastic models in various states of disrepair/ post-CAT I mishap (including F-14A, B-17, P-61, P-47, P-51D, F-117, and PT-109) but they aren’t age appropriate yet.

What toys do your kids (or you) like to play with?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Here’s a shot of my stash. I’m in it for the long haul.
View attachment 26694
Very impressive. What's on the bench today? Do you do any shows?

My buddy has a stash like that; I think it will take him several lifetimes to work through it since he's so meticulous. Each model is a work of art and he routinely wins awards for them. He has a glass enclosed and lit shelf in his living room showing off all of his award winners.

jmcquate

Contributor
Revell 1/48 Spitfire Mk II on the bench. I'll put things in shows every once and a while, but I never compete. Building is a solitary thing to me. I've given almost all of my finished builds away, I need to buy some cases to display them then I'll keep some of them.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Spent the past week or so dusting off old toys for the kiddos, including vintage Legos of the pirate and knight variety. Also found a bunch of plastic models in various states of disrepair/ post-CAT I mishap (including F-14A, B-17, P-61, P-47, P-51D, F-117, and PT-109) but they aren’t age appropriate yet.

What toys do your kids (or you) like to play with?
Is it me, or have Legos gotten significantly snootier over the past few decades? I had two whole tote-box-looking things of them as a kid, but they were all in a jumble, and I built whatever the hell I wanted. Now it’s like “Here’s a kit that lets you build a 1/360 scale model of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier” or somesuch.

exNavyOffRec

Is it me, or have Legos gotten significantly snootier over the past few decades? I had two whole tote-box-looking things of them as a kid, but they were all in a jumble, and I built whatever the hell I wanted. Now it’s like “Here’s a kit that lets you build a 1/360 scale model of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier” or somesuch.
I think they have, just like you it was a box of legos and I would use my imagination to make whatever I wanted, I thought that was the fun part.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Nope, you're an old man yelling a cloud.

My kids have a bunch and while the kits are cool they're still made with Legos that just eventually all end up in one big pile and they use their imagination to make new stuff. The kids are all right.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope, you're an old man yelling a cloud.

My kids have a bunch and while the kits are cool they're still made with Legos that just eventually all end up in one big pile and they use their imagination to make new stuff. The kids are all right.
Must just be the people showing off on social media and the Internet . . .