• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Update: the CHYCAPs did not like us calling them CHYCAPs so they are trying to become CHYCOMs again:

SlickAg

pilot
Update: the CHYCAPs did not like us calling them CHYCAPs so they are trying to become CHYCOMs again:
So. Much. Capitalism.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Today, my quarantine activities included getting vaccinated against COVID. :)
Side effects: profound sense of awe and appreciation for the scientists who worked so hard to make this possible.
Nice. I'm pretty much resigned that as a 40-year-old SELRES in dwell, I'm on like Tier 4 of 4 based on what I'm hearing about priorities.

taxi1

pilot
Good for you...but not the family, right? Awkward at the dinner table... ?

Someone should do a comic of Grandpa Pettibone getting a shot

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Same dynamic in my family. I got both shots already (nice to be Tier 2), kids are too young, wife is too healthy (and young), so it’s just me. In the time between my first and second round, my cousin and her husband contracted COVID, and her husband died the day before I got the second.

I have already seen/been on the wrong end of hate/discontent because, by virtue of my job, I got the vaccine before poor old grandma and the immunosuppressed types.

My guess is it will get worse as a whole as the general public has to deal with the realities of scarcity and logistics, and they get their turn to wait in long lines or be disappointed they didn’t get their shot.
I’m sure we will get a story out of Detroit or Baltimore of someone getting shot over their place in line/access to the shot.

Hopefully it’s all over and better by this time next year, and we are back to “normal.”

Not holding my breath.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good for you...but not the family, right? Awkward at the dinner table... ?

Someone should do a comic of Grandpa Pettibone getting a shot
I am unmarried... by design. :) I'm told that dependents will be eligible once the bulk of the AD folks are vaccinated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A couple of the local hospitals were allowing employees to bring in a family member to get the vaccine. There is no definition of what a family member is, apparently intentionally. I'm not sure if it's still going on since the governor opened up vaccines to those over 65.

I'm supposed to get dose #2 next week when I get off work (to be legal). My wife had her second one already and didn't feel great afterwards. My first one gave me a hangover the next day, so expecting the same thing the second time around.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My son is 1B due to job. Shortly after he got his shot they had run out of 1B customers for the day. They had a vial opened and not fully used. They expire quickly, so they were talking about going out and just asking folks on the street if they wanted the shot, rather than have it expire and be wasted.

Pags

N/A
pilot
My son is 1B due to job. Shortly after he got his shot they had run out of 1B customers for the day. They had a vial opened and not fully used. They expire quickly, so they were talking about going out and just asking folks on the street if they wanted the shot, rather than have it expire and be wasted.
Have heard several stories like this. Personally I think it's the right thing to do. Better to stick it in someone than throw it out. Might raise some questions in 28days but whatevs.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Agreed. I've heard anecdotes of no-shows at various sites- not in a doom and gloom sense and probably not in enormous numbers either. It seems like it's the Pfizer/BioNTech one that has a window of about five hours, between when they thaw a batch of super freeze and mix it with saline until it needs to get stuck in somebody's arm or it goes bad. Or maybe that's the Moderna one or maybe it's both of them.

Anecdotes do not necessarily make data but at this point there's no sense throwing away vaccine. I bet some of the better run localities will soon have a standby list- get your number in line just like you do online questionnaire for any other health care these days, then if the healthcare provider has let's say fifty no-shows then you and a hundred people get a robotext that says can you be there in an hour. 28 days later (I see what you did there, @Pags ) you're a priority to get the followup shot. Or something like that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's been common at the two major hospitals here. My wife even cashed in on it when she was trying to get her second dose the day she was working instead of having to drive in the next day (the day she was supposed to get it). She went down at the end of the day asking if there was extra. She was told they don't do that....waited a few minutes, and then there was extra and told she could get a shot.

I think they started doing wait lists as well. It wasn't uncommon for the first doses for the units to get calls asking if people could come down and get shots with what was left over.