• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have grown to love gin. I need recs on the good stuff, but it's definitely my go to booze for patio-sittin' summer afternoons.
The Botanist and Hendricks are obvious top shelf gins. A new personal favorite of mine that is a bit more obscure is Caorunn. Small batch Scottish gin from speyside. A product of a high quality whiskey distiller. Love it. Monkey 47 is incredible. From the Black Forest. Very expensive. I never mix it. Maybe some guys would like to use it in a very dry martini, but I prefer to sip it uber cold. Because of the price point you can get it in small bottles to try it out. Nolets Silver is a Dutch product. I really like it a lot and is good value for the money. Aviation and Commerce are real good domestic gins.

Old Tom is not a gin brand as some think. It is a style or recipe, like London Dry would be. A bit different. Tends to be sweeter. Definitely not the medicinal taste some people hate about gin. Only one I have tried is Haymans. I liked it but haven't stocked my bar with any Old Tom yet. The history of Old Tom and it's resurgence is interesting. I may be looking at it more carefully in the future.

Plymouth Navy Strength is quite good and has a fun story. To be Navy strength the gin has to be something like 114 proof. That is because the Plymouth style gin was popular with the Royal Navy back in the day. Gin was often stored below decks near the gun powder because that was one of the most secure spaces on the ship. Gin was the officers drink and so was kept secure from the sailors. If the gin spilled it could ruin the powder. Navy strength gin had an alcohol content that allowed for gin soaked fuses and powder to still ignite (early milspec). Today, only place making a Plymouth style Navy Strength gin is in Plymouth England itself.

Lots more good stuff out there. Please sing out if you have a recommendation for @scoolbubba and me. I love trying out gins.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I recently joined a skater club called dadskatesquad. The dude to my right wearing the dark blue t-shirt in the pic below is a retired Navy UH-1/SH-60B/C-12 driver and he told me about the club. Pic from last night’s skate...I was riding my early 1980s Gordon & Smith board...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have grown to love gin. I need recs on the good stuff, but it's definitely my go to booze for patio-sittin' summer afternoons.
Voyager. Made in Woodinville, WA, and it's incredible. You can even sip it neat on occasion without feeling like you're sucking on a juniper bush.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Lots more good stuff out there. Please sing out if you have a recommendation for @scoolbubba and me. I love trying out gins.

Are there any gins that don't have that jet fuel and/or pine-sol taste? I like martinis but hate vodka and gin, and would love to find a gin that doesn't taste like I'm eating a Christmas tree.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are there any gins that don't have that jet fuel and/or pine-sol taste? I like martinis but hate vodka and gin, and would love to find a gin that doesn't taste like I'm eating a Christmas tree.
See above. I mean, you're going to get some juniper in most gins; that's where the drink came from. But there are plenty of others that use different amounts of botanicals and don't smack you in the mouth with evergreen like, say, Tanqueray does. Probably most of the non-Pine Sol ones will be craft spirits, though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
See above. I mean, you're going to get some juniper in most gins; that's where the drink came from. But there are plenty of others that use different amounts of botanicals and don't smack you in the mouth with evergreen like, say, Tanqueray does. Probably most of the non-Pine Sol ones will be craft spirits, though.
I find Tanqueray to be fairly mild in the juniper dept. Would definitely be interested in checking out some more “off the beaten path” gins though. I’ve been doing gin and Aperol cocktails recently... sometimes with Campari.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From the above, Botanist, Caorunn are maybe the best place to start. They are a little pricy but not Monkey 47 territory. As a general rule until you come to appreciate the drink avoid the London Dry especially the cheaper stuff. Gins like Botanist, Nolets, Caorunn, and Hendricks are considered "International" gins. They use local botanicals and less juniper. Same can be said for some quality domestic gins that try and highlight local botanicals.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
What about MiG-29KUB and Su-33D?
Look, Kuznetsov's ski-jump was designed for early MiG-29 version for 13 degrees and is far from ideal for Flanker, and unlike RN designs is an integral part of a hull and cannot be rebuild easily. Thus both 33 and more heavy K/KUB are suffering from enormous takeoff nose gear area shearing strain which no one could prescribe nor properly evaluate. Yes these airplanes exist but they are more dangerous for their pilots than for any enemy.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
As mainly a bourbon and scotch drinker, I can also recommend The Botanist and, if you're in the mid-Atlantic, any of the gins by McClintock Distillery out of Frederick, MD.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

Does the old Brits culture of drinking dry gin with fresh cucumber exists in modern US? Been offered Bombey Sapf with water and cucumber instead of tonic, not my favorite taste but been told "all avid gin boozers do so". True?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gents,

Does the old Brits culture of drinking dry gin with fresh cucumber exists in modern US? Been offered Bombey Sapf with water and cucumber instead of tonic, not my favorite taste but been told "all avid gin boozers do so". True?
I haven't witnessed that, but I have never been a frequent visitor of bars and taverns. I don't even recall it from my days drilling in London where I did hit the pub daily after work.