• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost_ttu

plan of attack for this saturday is to take my music with me and I'm listening to it while I run. I'm dead serious! And if I don't pass this Sat. then I'm gonna make my friend run it with me the following Monday morning.

tali264

I see you're from Texas. Do you run these things in the afternoon? When I had to take mine a couple weeks ago they scheduled it for 1:00 when the temp was 90 in the gym. Needless to say scores were lower than usual.

ghost_ttu

I keep pushing for 0700, or 0800. I keep getting 1000 which gets me running around 1045 ok, by that time it is already hot. He said we can do it in the evening but I would think I'd be too tired, however today I ran better than I did Sat. and that was in the evening....I honestly thing my adrenaline just got the best of me Sat. and I burned all my energy on my first lap. I'll get it done...PROMISE

bluesmobile

P-3 copilot
pilot
I'd like to add one thing to the running discussion: Make sure you watch out for injuries! A minor injury could set you back a month or two, and a major injury could cause the unspeakable. I've been running 2-3 times a week since my freshman year of college, and a minor knee injury was enough to sideline me for two months (then it took me another month to return to form). Here are some tips:

1. If you haven't bought shoes in the past year, buy a new pair. Spending $60-$80 on a good pair of running shoes is well worth it, and will keep your knees fresh.

2. Avoid running on concrete if possible. Tracks are good, as are crushed-gravel paths. Grass works well too...it'll slow you down a bit, but the resistance will help in the long run.

3. Avoid taking really long strides during training, as this increases the shock on your legs.

4. Develop good running form - straight back, good breathing habits, etc.

5. If you have a pain somewhere (knees, ankles, etc), skip a day. If it just won't go away, you may want to see a doctor.

Those are the basics...there's plenty more advice all over the internet. The thing to keep in mind is that running is hell for your joints...every time you take a step, a strong shock is absorbed by your knees. Anything you can do to reduce that shock will do you very well in the long run. Hopefully this helps!

ECW02

Hey all - I'm new to the board. From what I've been reading, the minimum standards are by no means indicative of what it really takes to get in.
Right now I run the 1.5 in 13:00. I'm a female -is this considered uncompetitive still? Or worse yet, will I be way too slow if I do make it to OCS?

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Check this out :

From the Human Performance Laboratory (Halsey 260) - "Prepare for Plebe Summer, a comprehensive 8-week workout schedule"
http://www.usna.edu/PEScheds/HPL8Week.htm

This is a plan put together by the Academy's cross-country coach. It is intended for people about to enter as plebes. It is an 8 week plan, but if you're in good shape you could start out at a later week. This plan is designed to make good PRT scores. Stick to it and you will get results.

GO NAVY BEAT ARMY

eaw75

I always hear about running and push-ups at OCS, what about sit-ups? Aside from PRT, is this a regular form of motivation? Honestly, I despise sit-ups, I'd rather run 5 miles.

DON'T BLAME ME, I VOTED FOR RICK LAZIO

LadyJayUSN

Running shoes...bah
crazy_125.gif
who needs em!
I say PT in boots and utes...I've been PTing with the Marines at my unit and I've taken almost a minute off my time (in only 3 short weeks!!). There's nothing more motivating than a 4 miler in good old cammies and a broken-in pair of jungles...

Oh...word of advice...if you enjoy the skin on the backs of your heals...break the boots in first.

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Status
Not open for further replies.