• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncledave

About the track prt. Not that it makes much of a difference, but did they make you run on the outside lane of the track, or did they not care about your lane choice? Thanks for answering(in advance).

Adrenaline Rush

ghost your makin me worry that there is only 125 slots left for 2004, i hope im one of them,, how many slots do u think they allocated at the beginning of their choosing?

dewahl

I think if you sit around worrying about how many slots they have left for a time that is over a year away you are killin yourself. I know that people do have confirmations that far out, but that does not mean that people will not get dates b4 them. Several things have effect on this, college grad dates, active duty transfer dates, the budget, attrition, moon cycles, etc.. Those numbers appear to be so fluid. Next week it could be 225 or just 25. Dont worry. Put in your package and hope for the best. You may be the one they are looking for on that day, that hour, and that minute.

Dave

Adrenaline Rush

yea your right im not gonna worry,, worse comes to worst id have to slave away at an airline job where they make 6 figures and work a maximum of 1000 hours a year, hahah you know how many days that is?? about 42 days...all jokes aside id rather be doing tactical missions + serving my country than drive around a bus ,

Brandon VanBuskirk

Just wondering if anyone was planning on swimming the PRT, and if anyone knew for sure whether you have the option of swimming or running it at OCS. I ran my initial PRT and finished in 12:11(good thing I'm almost 31, I get a little extra time) but I would much rather swim, just wondered if anyone had any good gouge.I also heard that in API I will swim a mile in my flight suit, so all the more pool time is better. Can't wait to get back in, my EAS from my prior enlistment was in Jan of 1995, so it's been a long wait. Semper Fi.

b

kraemer77

If you are curious about a good conditioning program I found one recommended by Mark Allen (6X Ironman Triathlete). The biggest mistake individuals make when they start any training program is that they have to start off heavy and hard. Big mistake. You want to start off slow and gradually increase and you always want train at a higher distance than you actually plan to run...train at 3 miles to run a 1.5 mile run. Also, you do not have to achieve 80-90% of your target heart range every time you run. The big misnomer is that in order to develop the cardiovascular system you have to exercise at peak levels. Mark Allen suggests when you run, to try and maintain 50-60% of your target heart range for an extended amount of time--usually 1-2 hours. Anything over an hour is sufficient. Then to offset this routine--try one day of hard, intense exercise--running on hills or timed runs. So two or three days dedicated to smooth, long runs and a single day for explosive, intense runs or bike rides.

To get you ready for the run try this regime:

For the first month, do three miles but do a run/walk routine. Meaning you run for 2 minutes and walk for 3 minutes. Keep alternating the entire three miles. You may think that this is easy, mostly because it is, but you are conditioning your heart and your lungs. The next month you change the run/walk rotation to 3 minute runs and 2 minute walks. At the end of this month you are ready to start running for the entire time. You may think this is a waste of time, but it is an effective way to train. Once you can run 3 miles at a steady 2 minute quarter mile you will be ready to pump out a ten to eleven minute 1.5 mile run. How? You will have developed a natural pace that you are able to recognize and maintain. Like anything you will do in life--if you do it right the first time it will carry you on throughout. Once you have accomplished your 3 mile goal move on to 6 miles, or whatever your pace dictates. Sprints before or after your runs are also effective--or on your off days. Set your routine to meet your needs. You can adjust this run routine as well to two week increments--meaning you do 2/3 run/walk for two weeks and vice versa the next two weeks.

Along with your running regime you should go to the gym and do a full compliment of leg exercises and stretches--not in the same day and usually one-two days a week will suffice. You do not want to concentrate on heavy weight as much as high repetitions. You are trying to develop stamina and endurance, not bulky legs. Keep away from squats--they will ruin your knees and can contribute to long term injuries. Stretching is important as well--stretch everyday and when you do it, do it deliberately not any of this five second dynamic stretches where you bounce up and down. Grab it and hold it for up to thirty seconds.

When I started running I had a thirteen thirty run time. Within three months I was able to move up to 10:10 run time and I am getting faster every week. But I do not concentrate solely on my 1.5 mile run time. I am now doing 6 mile runs--my fastest time has been 50:06. This is effective because I have developed a good pace and I am able to maintain it--mostly...I am about 2 minutes off a 2:00 minute quarter mile pace for the entire 6 miles. But you have to take the initial condition time to get to this level...it doesn't just come because you will it to happen. Even if you run till you puke and just barely get the time--you will not be able to maintain in OCS and beyond. Start good habits now and they will carry you throughout.

Kraemer77

Dave Shutter

Running the PRT is mandatory in OCS and API. I'm not sure about training SQDN's who do PRT's every 6 months like regular units. They may make you run also so you may have to wait until you get to the fleet before you can swim, and that's not easy either.

JTP

Running is a mental sport; that is what I learned today. I had my PRT today, and was banking on a 10:30 1.5. I have been training for this run off and on for 9 months, but I have been in double time for the past month and a half. My training consisted of running a 5k 3 times a week and running the 1.5 2x a week. I was running the 5k at 8 min. miles, and when I was running the 1.5 I never had a time better than 10:45.

I went out there today and smoked it. I ran the 1.5 in 9:15. It was crazy..I started off at a pretty moderate pace and then worked my way into long strides. When I hit the 3/4 miles marker I looked at my watch and it read 5 min. I started to sprint, and figured if I didn't make it to the finish line they would come pick me up and take me to the hospital. I made it. I just ran, and ran as hard as I could and just fixated it in my head that I could sprint this thing without giving up. It's all in your head, just run hard and don't give up.

My PRT stats:
1.5 run- 9:15
Push-ups- 81
Sit-ups 98

Hopefully, this will help my lagging GPA of 2.8/

GO DAWGS!!

Hartman

Daaaaammn!!! Did you leave a contrail behind???

I agree about the mental part of running. I've shaved at least 10 seconds off of my 1.5 mile run since I bought the soundtrack to 'Rocky.' No bs...it's made a difference! I'm thinking about taping my fists up next time.

tali264

JTP, when do you go to OCS? At the rate you're going you'll be running an 8:30 and leave the rest of us in the dust!! Congrats though, no jealousy here

JTP

That was funny....EYE OF THE TIGER..

No flowers this time, but almost. Thank god I got the EKG out of the way though, I probably have a heart murmur or irregular heartbeat now.

Seriously..running is all in your head. I couldn't go out and run that again on my own, but being out there w/ the recruiters just gave me an extra drive.

GO DAWGS!!

ghost_ttu

Dammit Hartman, now I have to go download Rocky song and put it on my mp3 player. Do you think he will let me wear my mp3 player during my prt? I don't see why not, nothing else is working, but I swear I'll take a prt once a week until I pass the damn thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.