• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsavy10

I'm scheduled to take my PRT on the 21st and I was hoping for some information on the testing procedures. Are the sit-ups done with arms crossed or behind the head? How much time do you have to rest between exercises? What would one consider "competitive", etc. Any information on the subject or advice will really help. [:D]

Hartman

You'll do situps (arms crossed), pushups, and then the run. I was allowed to take my sweet time in between sets. To be competitive, most people will agree that you need to score at least a 12:00 run. Situps and pushups are harder to judge because they're so easy to cheat on if your recruiter isn't very strict about form. At a minimum, you need to get the requirements to in-process for OCS (37 pushups, and 70 some odd situps I think). Personally, I think your run time is the single most important factor that is used to judge your physical readiness.

gsavy10

Thanks. Right now I'm at an 11:30 run time, 50 push-ups, and 50 sit-ups. I've only been training for three weeks now and the vast majority of the time was wasted battling soreness. In four weeks of balls to the wall training, I'll bet I can get my push ups to 80 and my sit-ups to 90. My run time 10:00 or so.

ghost_ttu

Anyone think the recruiter would mind me strapping my mp3 player to my arm when I run the 1.5 mile? I'm thinking about recording time so I would be able to keep pace. I know I couldn't do this in the real deal, but it seems smart. Any ideas?

Hartman

I think you're only allowed to have an MP3 player if it has 'Rocky' music on it and you're willing to stop and throw a few air punches every lap.

Tracking your time is a good idea if you know what time you're trying to beat, but don't look at your watch too much or it will screw with your head. Find that cruise control and try not to let your breathing become erratic.

leonsparx

I posted this link before on one of the (many) other topics regarding he prt, but here it is:

http://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/6110_1f.pdf

it lays out the background and the procedures of the prt in tremendous detail.

kenjamin17

When I took mine I was allowed to do it in any order I wanted. I did pushups, situps, run.

quote:
You'll do situps (arms crossed), pushups, and then the run. I was allowed to take my sweet time in between sets. To be competitive, most people will agree that you need to score at least a 12:00 run. Situps and pushups are harder to judge because they're so easy to cheat on if your recruiter isn't very strict about form. At a minimum, you need to get the requirements to in-process for OCS (37 pushups, and 70 some odd situps I think). Personally, I think your run time is the single most important factor that is used to judge your physical readiness.

ghost_ttu

OK, got back from my PRT this morning and bad news. I just used all my gas on the first lap and couldn't recover....so try try again. I did 82 su, 80 pu, and a 12:17 1.5 mile. So I need to shave atleast 17 seconds, and hopefull about 45 seconds. I know I can do it. Anyway, I thought I would let everyone know they only have 125 SNA slots for FY 04.

Agent00JP

As an all-state miler in HS, here is a hard to abide by, but critical piece of advice on pacing...

Set your pace at your target time of 12:00 min., which is 90 seconds per 400m lap if you are doing it on a track. Run at this pace until you have 1/2-1/4 mile to go and then slowly, but surely increase your pace through to the finish. At the beginning you will feel like you are going slow, however I never won a race that I lead from the beginning. Most guys would run a 60-65 sec. first lap and their next laps would come in around 70-85 sec. each. My first lap was always 70-75 sec. and the last 3 came in at under 70, getting faster with each one. A paced 4:45 is always faster than a 5:00 with a fast start. (Plus those guys I was passingon the last lap had nothing to challenge with.)

Note: I cannot run that fast anymore... call it a lack of continuous training. My goal is just to get back to 5:30s for OCS.

JP

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's good advice, Agent. I'm curious to hear from people waiting to start OCS, or those who have completed it...do you always run PRT's on the track? Out of all the PRT's I've taken, I've only ever taken one on an actual track. Just wondering.

cman

I have to agree with JP on the running. The thing about running is that most of it is mental. Sounds wierd, but true. Your body will adjust (don't let your mind tell you that it won't), how well it does that depends on the amount of conditioning you've done before hand. The adjusting part is what you've probably heard called a second wind. Start your 1.5 miles at a good strong pace, but don't over do it. Be mindful of long strides and full breaths. A good rhythm is important to your body adjusting to what it's being asked to do. You will actually feel it when your body finally kicks in gear. If your pace, stride, and breathing are all good, then for a 1.5 mile run you should start to feel it between 1/2 and 3/4 mile. Maintain your pace and on the last 1/4 open up your stride, and then give EVERYTHING you have left on the last 100 yards.

Hope that helps
Chris

Goliath112

hey gatordev. when i was in the Navy, we never did prt's on a track. however, at RTC/NTC (Great Mistakes) you do all the prt's on a track.

Man how much do you have to run at OCS. is it daily or what? I would hope that it is every other day. hope being the key word

man the wait is killing me

Status
Not open for further replies.