• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promoting from O-1 to O-2

TheClyde

My NRC replied to me and said "Based on what we see in FLTMPS and NSIPS your auto promotion date is 03/07/24". But I'm not convinced that's accurate...

NSIPS shows 02/16/22 for my date of rank. When I look in BUPERS, my OMPF shows 02/16 as my permanent grade date, and NRRM shows 02/16 for my date of rate but "date entered military service" is 03/07. My ETJ says 02/16.

The Naval Register - which I feel like is the single authority for this - shows 02/16.

At this point the date is close enough for me just to shrug and wait it out until 03/07, but to appease my curiosity I would love it if someone could tell me which of these dates is actually authoritative and, ideally, point me to an instruction that answers this question in a definitive fashion.
I am relatively sure you are correct, both because I know people who's promotion to O-2 came shortly before two years from commissioning and because of the excerpt below from the instruction I shared earlier. What needs to be done for it to take effect is still the open question.

a. Service in Grade. It is the Department of the Navy
(DON) policy to promote Navy officers in the grade of ensign to
the grade of lieutenant (junior grade) and Marine Corps officers
in the grade of second lieutenant to the grade of first
lieutenant as soon as qualified, but not earlier than the date
of completion of 24 months’ service in grade. Service in grade
is computed from the officer’s date of rank as an ensign or
second lieutenant.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Definitely make sure to talk to payroll, and don't ever let the Navy take your stapler.

Wish the following was a joke. As an O-2 in Meridian, I stopped getting paid. Turns out the navy thought they had “fixed the glitch” as they had somehow determined that I had lived on base as an ENS when I was in Pensacola (I hadn’t) and therefore owed all the BAH back. Rather than consulting with my command, or calling or emailing me, I stopped getting paid.

Being the stupid flight student I was that didn’t want to bug the squadron with my problems, I went straight to PSD and they were very little help. After 4 visits (not being paid 4 times) they finally got everything straightened out and I got it all back obviously; after managing to move to my next duty station after not being paid for two months. it’s just nuts that the process would flow that way. I was able to make do (with some help from family and very minor help from NMCRS), but what if that happens to the E-4 with three kids? I also learned during that that NMCRS is not familiar with officers showing up asking for help haha. I think it was “end of obligated service” or something that caused issues as it’s different for officers.

Of course knowing what I know now I *might* have had better luck with the squadron admin had I worked it through them. I’ve seen good (my fleet squadron and the VT shore tour) and bad (VAW-120, when I went through as a student).

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
but what if that happens to the E-4 with three kids? I also learned during that that NMCRS is not familiar with officers showing up asking for help haha. I think it was “end of obligated service” or something that caused issues as it’s different for officers.
That happened to our whole squadron. Our admin chief screwed up the orders for a 2 week pre deployment exercise in 29 Palms, and I think it only affected the E side. Bottom line, they were overpaid 2 weeks of per diem they didn't rate. It was found out about a month after returning to home field.

CO had to address the squadron about how the money would be clawed back from future paychecks. Not a great morale boost prior to heading off for deployment...Needless to say, CO was not happy with the admin dept.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Same thing with concerning regularity on the reserves side, WRT flight pay. The NOSC/NRC has been known to just unilaterally, without notice, for some erroneous NOSC reason, turn it off. And also the bigger continuing issue, I think fleet wide, of nobody being paid the delta of basic and milestone AvIP (or whatever the proper term is). I believe this has been ongoing since June 2022, and we are currently just documenting it. But if they ever actually fix it, that will be one hell of a payout from DFAS collectively. I only saved enough LES’s (and for our non-reserve friends reading, some months might have 5+ LES’s) to account for the last 12 months, and I’m owed thousands, alone.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I only saved enough LES’s (and for our non-reserve friends reading, some months might have 5+ LES’s) to account for the last 12 months, and I’m owed thousands, alone.

There is a process to request previous ones from DFAS, I haven't had luck with it lately...but there is a process!

number9

Contributor
The more important question is: where is the wetting down?
Did you not get the invite? Sorry about that...

For anyone who's curious: the NRC never responded to my email asking for clarification as to which was the correct date. About 10 days after the 02/16 anniversary, NSIPS' promotion history updated itself to show my LTJG date as 02/16/24 (meaning the NRC was wrong). A few days after that, the rank in my email address (e.g. when you look me up in the Global Address List) updated itself too.

My Windows logon name didn't update until I got a new CAC.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Did you not get the invite? Sorry about that...

For anyone who's curious: the NRC never responded to my email asking for clarification as to which was the correct date. About 10 days after the 02/16 anniversary, NSIPS' promotion history updated itself to show my LTJG date as 02/16/24 (meaning the NRC was wrong). A few days after that, the rank in my email address (e.g. when you look me up in the Global Address List) updated itself too.

My Windows logon name didn't update until I got a new CAC.
The coin of the realm is probably getting your rank updated on the GAL. You should update your Auto-signature with a pithy leadership quote underneath your NIPR address now. 😆

No, just kidding, glad you got it worked out.