• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promoting from O-1 to O-2

number9

Contributor
Your promotion for O2 is effective the day after your two year anniversary of date of rank, which should be the day you graduated your commissioning program (or later if you wanted to reconsider / think about it for some reason). That's when you'll start getting O2 pay.

As for putting on the rank, that's whenever the command schedules the promotion ceremony to swear you in. Unless they don't care in the reserves, in which case just start wearing LTJG bars.

You're supposed to swear in and sign a piece of paper accepting the appointment to the new office of LTJG, but lack of doing so won't hold anything up. In all actuality, you have to actively decline the promotion to turn it off (at which point they'll recouperate your O-2 pay once it goes through the system).
This was very helpful, thank you! If NSIPS takes a while to update, am I right in saying that I can look to see if/when my LES shows a higher number to confirm everything is kosher (as Christmas) on the admin side?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
That's some good shit!

My HT CO (phrog pilot) Col "Caveman" Holzworth told a great story about as an O-2 HAC/section lead how he led a flight under the Coranado bridge on a frag with SEALs on board. Upon return to base, his CO taxied him into the line. And an epic ass-chewing ensued.

Bottom line, the CO taxiing you in can either be really good, or really bad. 😄
Yeppers…in my case it was really bad. We had been out on the SCORE range to drop a REXTORP. Got attack criteria and went in for the drop…and the torp wouldn’t drop. DAMMIT JIM! We RTB’d and Skipper was waiting for me [I was the NFG HAC]…he marshaled us in and everything…and he looked really pissed off. He chewed my ass right there on the ramp…I was still strapped in the bird. We found out later that the AOs had put the wrong CADs on the rack and that’s why the torp didn’t drop. Did I get my ass un-chewed?*** Nope. Oh well…shit happens. 💩

***LATE ENTRY: A NAM would have been nice. A Moonwatch would have been even better. :D

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I’ll bet your Sailors love you.
I, too, sometimes completely misread tone and throw jabs on the internet /s.

Officer career progression / promotion mechanisms are not "in rate knowledge" for YNs and I've not met any who care to learn the details because they have more important things to do. They will gladly help you filing a report for any pay issues, but they're not full-up-round on all the rules and regulations.

The best resource is to reach out to your detailer at PERS, where they can forward you to the person assigned to actually handle these matters. That person is a commissioned officer.

But you can keep banging your head on the wall at admin if you want to.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This was very helpful, thank you! If NSIPS takes a while to update, am I right in saying that I can look to see if/when my LES shows a higher number to confirm everything is kosher (as Christmas) on the admin side?
Yes. Your promotion should be reflected on your very next LES.

If it's not, you need to call your detailer at PERS.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Definitely make sure to talk to payroll, and don't ever let the Navy take your stapler.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This will not completely answer your question, but O-1 to O-2 is the day after two year anniversary of date of rank (not commissioning), whereas O-2 to O-3 is the first day of the month following two years after date of rank, and per Navadmin.

Refer to SECNAVINST 1412.6M for more info. How this looks in practice I'm not sure, but have a look at NSIPS and see if it has updated.
This assumes the NAVADMIN has been put out by (PERS?) in time too.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
This guy Administers.

#thingsihadtobeaDHtounderstand.

:D
believe.gif

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's because it's a PS thing, not a YN thing, and yes, Officer promotions are absolutely in their professional wheelhouse.

There's no guarantee there is a PS at a NRA. If there is, they may be very junior. There was a former AD1 of mine who was working in a Major (O-6 level) NOSC admin. He was an amazing AD, but probably a sub-par YN or PS.

My point is there should be resources available at a NRA, but it doesn't always happen. That's when you hope you have strong leadership within the Reserve unit to deal with the NRA shenanigans.

Walt6541

That's some good shit!

My HT CO (phrog pilot) Col "Caveman" Holzworth told a great story about as an O-2 HAC/section lead how he led a flight under the Coranado bridge on a frag with SEALs on board. Upon return to base, his CO taxied him into the line. And an epic ass-chewing ensued.

Bottom line, the CO taxiing you in can either be really good, or really bad. 😄
Small world moment. Col Holzworth was the MATSG-21 CO when I went through A school in 2006! I distinctly remember his Thanksgiving 96 liberty brief. "We don't act like turkeys! We kill turkeys and we eat them!"

number9

Contributor
My NRC replied to me and said "Based on what we see in FLTMPS and NSIPS your auto promotion date is 03/07/24". But I'm not convinced that's accurate...

NSIPS shows 02/16/22 for my date of rank. When I look in BUPERS, my OMPF shows 02/16 as my permanent grade date, and NRRM shows 02/16 for my date of rate but "date entered military service" is 03/07. My ETJ says 02/16.

The Naval Register - which I feel like is the single authority for this - shows 02/16.

At this point the date is close enough for me just to shrug and wait it out until 03/07, but to appease my curiosity I would love it if someone could tell me which of these dates is actually authoritative and, ideally, point me to an instruction that answers this question in a definitive fashion.