• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promoting from O-1 to O-2

TheClyde

Not sure if you didn't read the full posts or are just being silly, but the timeline question is long since clarified in this thread. The question is what actions need to be taken and by who in order to effect a promotion. Do you happen to know the answer or like the OP are you unsure?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Not sure if you didn't read the full posts or are just being silly, but the timeline question is long since clarified in this thread. The question is what actions need to be taken and by who in order to effect a promotion. Do you happen to know the answer or like the OP are you unsure?

I have, have you? OP has said multiple times he can’t find the answer or find someone to tell him the answer.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Can someone please give me accurate gouge as to how this promotion works in reality? It seems like every person I ask gives me a different version of the process.

Let's say I commissioned directly into the Reserves on 02/16/2022. That means my two-year anniversary would be yesterday, 02/15/2024. Is my promotion effective today, 02/16, or do I need to wait for the first day of March? Do I need my CO (or my NRC's CO) to sign anything to make it legal?

My understanding is that, for O-1 to O-2, it is effective on the two-year anniversary date. If you look in the NAVADMIN list, the lowest rank of published promotions is Lieutenant so I can't see how I could wait for a message for the promotion to be effective. (This makes me think that O-2 to O-3 is automatic but you need to wait for the next NAVADMIN.)

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Can someone please give me accurate gouge as to how this promotion works in reality? It seems like every person I ask gives me a different version of the process.
Who are you asking?

Do I need my CO (or my NRC's CO) to sign anything to make it legal?

Who do you think makes this paperwork up?

I’ll give you a hint to both questions. The right answer to both of these questions is the department in charge of this. Seek them out, and will you have your answers.😉

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Who are you asking?

Who do you think makes this paperwork up?

I’ll give you a hint to both questions. The right answer to both of these questions is the department in charge of this. Seek them out, and will you have your answers.😉
To be fair to the OP, he DID go to “the right department” and apparently got a shoulder shrug. I believe it…unit admin can swing from very good to barely competent. What I find most troubling is that “the right department” in not knowing the answer doesn’t seem inclined to find the answer.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
To be fair to the OP, he DID go to “the right department” and apparently got a shoulder shrug. I believe it…unit admin can swing from very good to barely competent. What I find most troubling is that “the right department” in not knowing the answer doesn’t seem inclined to find the answer.
That’s just sad.🤯

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

While I agree NRC/NOSCs can be hit or miss, I'm still trying to grasp why the OP hasn't utilized his NRC or unit chain of command. It's my experiences most NRC COs do care and will want to know if a department/s or program/s of theirs are not meeting proper expectations.

Similarly, it's unit leadership 101 to ensure their sailors, whether local or cross assigned, are getting what they need.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The coolest promotion of my career- by far- was my promotion to O-2. I had my first jet solo in the T-45, and was met by my squadron CO, OPSO, and onwing IP as I taxied in. Had no idea it was coming right then, which was a nice touch- once I got over the feeling of “oh $h!t, what did I do?”.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Let's say I commissioned directly into the Reserves on 02/16/2022. That means my two-year anniversary would be yesterday, 02/15/2024. Is my promotion effective today, 02/16, or do I need to wait for the first day of March? Do I need my CO (or my NRC's CO) to sign anything to make it legal?

My understanding is that, for O-1 to O-2, it is effective on the two-year anniversary date. If you look in the NAVADMIN list, the lowest rank of published promotions is Lieutenant so I can't see how I could wait for a message for the promotion to be effective. (This makes me think that O-2 to O-3 is automatic but you need to wait for the next NAVADMIN.)
Your promotion for O2 is effective the day after your two year anniversary of date of rank, which should be the day you graduated your commissioning program (or later if you wanted to reconsider / think about it for some reason). That's when you'll start getting O2 pay.

As for putting on the rank, that's whenever the command schedules the promotion ceremony to swear you in. Unless they don't care in the reserves, in which case just start wearing LTJG bars.

You're supposed to swear in and sign a piece of paper accepting the appointment to the new office of LTJG, but lack of doing so won't hold anything up. In all actuality, you have to actively decline the promotion to turn it off (at which point they'll recouperate your O-2 pay once it goes through the system).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Can’t the admin folks at your NOSC or reserve unit answer your question?
Admin (meaning YNs / PSs) know almost nothing about officer promotions / career admin questions.

The only thing they know is that they have to write a new name into the form letter accepting promotion when the admin O / XO asks them for one, and where to send the letter when it's signed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Admin (meaning YNs / PSs) know almost nothing about officer promotions / career admin questions.

The only thing they know is that they have to write a new name into the form letter accepting promotion when the admin O / XO asks them for one, and where to send the letter when it's signed.
I’ll bet your Sailors love you.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
The coolest promotion of my career- by far- was my promotion to O-2. I had my first jet solo in the T-45, and was met by my squadron CO, OPSO, and onwing IP as I taxied in. Had no idea it was coming right then, which was a nice touch- once I got over the feeling of “oh $h!t, what did I do?”.
That's some good shit!

My HT CO (phrog pilot) Col "Caveman" Holzworth told a great story about as an O-2 HAC/section lead how he led a flight under the Coranado bridge on a frag with SEALs on board. Upon return to base, his CO taxied him into the line. And an epic ass-chewing ensued.

Bottom line, the CO taxiing you in can either be really good, or really bad. 😄

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That's some good shit!

My HT CO (phrog pilot) Col "Caveman" Holzworth told a great story about as an O-2 HAC/section lead how he led a flight under the Coranado bridge on a frag with SEALs on board. Upon return to base, his CO taxied him into the line. And an epic ass-chewing ensued.

Bottom line, the CO taxiing you in can either be really good, or really bad. 😄
I thought official Navy policy is that whatever the SEALS want, the SEALS get.