• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Promoting from O-1 to O-2

number9

Contributor
Can someone please give me accurate gouge as to how this promotion works in reality? It seems like every person I ask gives me a different version of the process.

Let's say I commissioned directly into the Reserves on 02/16/2022. That means my two-year anniversary would be yesterday, 02/15/2024. Is my promotion effective today, 02/16, or do I need to wait for the first day of March? Do I need my CO (or my NRC's CO) to sign anything to make it legal?

My understanding is that, for O-1 to O-2, it is effective on the two-year anniversary date. If you look in the NAVADMIN list, the lowest rank of published promotions is Lieutenant so I can't see how I could wait for a message for the promotion to be effective. (This makes me think that O-2 to O-3 is automatic but you need to wait for the next NAVADMIN.)

TheClyde

This will not completely answer your question, but O-1 to O-2 is the day after two year anniversary of date of rank (not commissioning), whereas O-2 to O-3 is the first day of the month following two years after date of rank, and per Navadmin.

Refer to SECNAVINST 1412.6M for more info. How this looks in practice I'm not sure, but have a look at NSIPS and see if it has updated.

number9

Contributor
This will not completely answer your question, but O-1 to O-2 is the day after two year anniversary of date of rank (not commissioning), whereas O-2 to O-3 is the first day of the month following two years after date of rank, and per Navadmin.
Thanks for correcting me: I used the right hypothetical dates in my post, but not the correct terms. My date of rank is a few weeks before I commissioned.

Refer to SECNAVINST 1412.6M for more info. How this looks in practice I'm not sure, but have a look at NSIPS and see if it has updated.
I can't see anything in NSIPS or BOL yet. But are those updated automatically, or once I've sworn a new oath and had paperwork uploaded? I genuinely don't know. I'll go read the instruction...

TheClyde

Thanks for correcting me: I used the right hypothetical dates in my post, but not the correct terms. My date of rank is a few weeks before I commissioned.

I can't see anything in NSIPS or BOL yet. But are those updated automatically, or once I've sworn a new oath and had paperwork uploaded? I genuinely don't know. I'll go read the instruction...
BOL is not real time updates, but NSIPS should be once they enter it. I'm assuming NSIPS still shows you as ENS?

Reading the instruction is always good but I can spare you the time, I've read it and the answers to your logistical questions are still unclear to me. Wouldn't surprise me if it takes a day or two to enter the system, but yeah maybe they don't enter it until you sign something. Not sure.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Can someone please give me accurate gouge as to how this promotion works in reality? It seems like every person I ask gives me a different version of the process.

Let's say I commissioned directly into the Reserves on 02/16/2022. That means my two-year anniversary would be yesterday, 02/15/2024. Is my promotion effective today, 02/16, or do I need to wait for the first day of March? Do I need my CO (or my NRC's CO) to sign anything to make it legal?

My understanding is that, for O-1 to O-2, it is effective on the two-year anniversary date. If you look in the NAVADMIN list, the lowest rank of published promotions is Lieutenant so I can't see how I could wait for a message for the promotion to be effective. (This makes me think that O-2 to O-3 is automatic but you need to wait for the next NAVADMIN.)

Not to sound rude, but do you not have a senior mentor or two in your unit or elsewhere to help you with this?

number9

Contributor
Can’t the admin folks at your NOSC or reserve unit answer your question?
The admin folks at my unit aren't sure of the process, and the NRC didn't answer the phone or their emails.

I get that this should be a fairly simple question to answer. And yet..?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The admin folks at my unit aren't sure of the process, and the NRC didn't answer the phone or their emails.

I get that this should be a fairly simple question to answer. And yet..?
Just slap the rank on and start telling CPOs that you are now LIEUTENANT (junior grade) @number9 …someone will tell you what the regulations state, very clearly.