• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As mentioned before- HUD use by students is now prohibited by CNATRA. IPs and IUTs may use it.

Erin M.

pilot
Anybody know what's going on with this hurricane and training?

Aside from being told to leave if we want to and not given an order for mandatory evacuation, that sims are secured for Monday but classes may still be on going (which invalidates the command to leave if you desire), none of us really have any idea...

KBayDog

Aside from being told to leave if we want to and not given an order for mandatory evacuation, that sims are secured for Monday but classes may still be on going (which invalidates the command to leave if you desire), none of us really have any idea...

850-623-7666

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot

All training is secured until further notice. There are working parties tomorrow, check the schedule and see if you are on it. Check the schedule everyday. Contact your flt lead/class adviser if you are evac'ing or need some sort of assistance (or PM me).
The base will probably close tomorrow PM, reopen is tbd, look at a few days. Stay safe and be prepared to come in a day or 2 after the storm passes. Working parties can be expected, depending on severity/damage.

Any further questions let me know man.

Erin M.

pilot
All training is secured until further notice. There are working parties tomorrow, check the schedule and see if you are on it. Check the schedule everyday. Contact your flt lead/class adviser if you are evac'ing or need some sort of assistance (or PM me).
The base will probably close tomorrow PM, reopen is tbd, look at a few days. Stay safe and be prepared to come in a day or 2 after the storm passes. Working parties can be expected, depending on severity/damage.

Any further questions let me know man.

Hey thanks, I appreciate it. Hope all goes well for everyone these next few days.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Failed card stuff will go away in helo land with the introduction of the D, whenever that happens. It's pretty useless in the glass cockpit 60s anyway, as a loss of your gyros means nothing is displayed.

We still have that fantastic stby compass...!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We still have that fantastic stby compass...!

Along with a current calibration card IAW OPNAVINST 3710 and FAR 91.205. Without that card, that compass it nothing, nothing! You hear? You'll get lost! And then you'll be sorry that you didn't memorize more trivia!! Aughhh!! :D

jtmedli

pilot
Of course, you notified ATC immediately, hawked the standby compass, and made a seamless transition to failed-card ADF holding each time.

Actually, I simply hung my head, cried, declared an emergency, and squawked 7700 because I, like most studs, am unable to NAV sans-GPS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Actually, I simply hung my head, cried, declared an emergency, and squawked 7700 because I, like most studs, am unable to NAV sans-GPS.

When flying a VNAV with Primary studs on a route that was more complicated than flying along the beachline to TLH, I could tell the guys that had somewhat figured out the GPS because they'd start Nav'ing off of it instead of the chart. I applauded their good head work...then promptly flipped the screens over to one of the more useless data screens. Although Super Nav 5 is nice when you sit in the back and can't see anything.

KBayDog

Although Super Nav 5 is nice when you sit in the back and can't see anything.

Never really a fan of Super Nav 5. I get that it's a ghetto moving map, but as bottom-feeding rotor trash who "follows roads," I find some of the other data screens to be more useful in building SA on VNAVs.

I have found, however, Super Nav 5 to be useful in backing up navigation on the airways...but in this day and age of RNAV aircraft in radar environments (at least, environments that the mighty Sea Ranger can operate in), we're almost always hooked up with GPS-direct routing anyway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Never really a fan of Super Nav 5. I get that it's a ghetto moving map, but as bottom-feeding rotor trash who "follows roads," I find some of the other data screens to be more useful in building SA on VNAVs.

I have found, however, Super Nav 5 to be useful in backing up navigation on the airways...but in this day and age of RNAV aircraft in radar environments (at least, environments that the mighty Sea Ranger can operate in), we're almost always hooked up with GPS-direct routing anyway.

I think it helps that you can see more than from 2:30-5:30 and 6:30 to 9:30.

Also, in the T-34, since you often have no way to shoot a localizer and have something that's pointing to the airfield (unless there happens to be a TACAN there), it was very easy to get "lost" on the FAC and fly through it. This is due to which mode you're in and what needle works with each mode. My technique was to set a DRCT TO the airport (not the navaid) and then go OBS and spin in the FAC. Then you had a nice visual representation of where you should be, kind of like an ASR. I know it seems like you shouldn't have to do that, but IUTs, Studs and even IPs (myself included) would regularly get a little disorientated on a localizer in the Weiner and this was a big help.

KBayDog

Gatordev said:
I think it helps that you can see more than from 2:30-5:30 and 6:30 to 9:30.

It also helps that we can see down. ;)

My technique was to set a DRCT TO the airport (not the navaid) and then go OBS and spin in the FAC.

I teach the same technique, especially for GCAs - it's a great SA builder. If there's time, I'll even have the GPS approach loaded, and go DRCT TO the FAWP (it helps give a "true" FAC if the midpoint of the airport is offset from the FAC in use).