• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
When are you saying this should happen for me? I am fairly far into the curriculum. Also, someone has an oddly similar profile picture to me although theirs is slightly less homo...

Relax dude. It will almost always be a little stressful. Keep in mind this guy only finished primary. He didn't land on the moon. Though if he goes jets he'll act like he did (i keed i keed!).

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
When are you saying this should happen for me? I am fairly far into the curriculum. Also, someone has an oddly similar profile picture to me although theirs is slightly less homo...
It is flight school, it should be stressing you out. It is designed that way. By the end of a phase, you should be fairly proficient in flying, briefing, and managing your time to accomplish what you need to.
There will be moments of joy and wonderment, but they will be far outweighed by frustration and annoyance. It is always nice when the light comes on, whether it be landing, formation, instruments, and you can do it without sucking too bad.

For me the entire primary experience was somewhat stressful (some flights more than others). There were very few flights where I could just relax and have fun. Honestly the only time I really unwound was during my aerobatic solos. It got easier towards the end though in RIs and my cross country for me. That reduced the stress level significantly.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
For me the entire primary experience was somewhat stressful (some flights more than others). There were very few flights where I could just relax and have fun. Honestly the only time I really unwound was during my aerobatic solos. It got easier towards the end though in RIs and my cross country for me. That reduced the stress level significantly.

Relax. You're totally normal.

b0pric01

pilot
I have forms left and was trying to figure out my NSS, but in the process of reading Erin M's NSS calculation gouge my brain exploded and now I'm not sure I remember anything about the T-6. Hopefully my forms partner can carry me through.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I have forms left and was trying to figure out my NSS, but in the process of reading Erin M's NSS calculation gouge my brain exploded and now I'm not sure I remember anything about the T-6. Hopefully my forms partner can carry me through.
Do your best and good things will happen, that's all you can do at this point.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Remember, you're supposed to suck at flying forms- you've never done it before.

jtmedli

pilot

Alititude, Bearing, Closure. Done. That's allllll there is to it. ;)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alititude, Bearing, Closure. Done. That's allllll there is to it. ;)
Flying form is not hard once you 'get it', but good tight disciplined formation is a must in tactical carrier aviation. Not just for SH diamond, or roll-overbreaks, or a airmanship demo for a Blue Angel applicant. When you're blue water ops, nordo/nonav, in the clag, on the wing of your... or a sister squadronmate on case III recovery, you have to stick to the lead like glue. If you get sucked or drift away and lose sight of the lead... deep kim chee, very possibly an unwanted water landing.:eek:

*Formations: 1. Ship Delta; 2. Dissimilar Type/Country; 3. Diamond; 4. Missing Man
A4C_VA146_1964.jpgVF-151  F-4 - 1.jpgVA-94 Flite 1960.jpgVFA-146 COC-2.jpg
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably Catmando driving that 'Bear chasing' gas guzzlin', heavy smokin' Pfantum above. The VF-151 Vigilantes was his squadron on USS MIDWAY!:) Cat, you're my hero, in my next life what are my chances of getting Fighters?:p
BzB

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Depending on where you go, you will get to the point where NOT flying in some sort of formation will feel strangely out of place.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So, my form experience this last week:
I just finished the T-6B FITU last Tuesday (the 30th of April?) and was rolled immediately into the Form upgrade syllabus. (My squadron is changing the way things are done so we are now rolling out of the FITU form qual'd) My total experience of flying forms to this point was the flights in primary (2008) and getting intercepted twice in the GOO....so needless to say I was a little nervous. The instructors were awesome...they got me to where I felt fairly comfortable and was "teaching" as I flew...here are a few hints (my F4390 is tomorrow FWIW) that may help the stud's...

1. KNOW YOUR ADMIN!!! Know the comm guide, the FWOP, and most importantly, the numbers and reference points. You can't learn to fly the parade/cruise position if you don't know what defines it.
2. You are not training to be a Blue Angel pilot. They are getting you to be fairly safe, and efficient. Not many MIF's of 4, right? That should tell you what is expected. GK, and prep work will make the rest easy.
3. Don't forget to study/review your Contact stuff. You will still have to do course rules/landings/comm's...most students fail Forms for their pattern work, not their paprade position. I have struggled with this myself, I was barely up to a 4 on PEL and Pattern work when I finished (I know this is a peek behind the curtain, we aren't masters of this airplane when we get to the line) and then I spent a week and a half learning how to teach forms...my pattern work has suffered.
4. Relax, and HAVE FUN! You may never get to fly form again, so enjoy it while you can...
Pickle