• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary on Monday

Erin M.

pilot
Don't forget how different it is for students than instructors in TRACOM though. We certainly have it awesome in the sense that we have few duties to cover and no job outside of flying. But, it definitely sucks to be learning something entirely new and be told how much you suck everyday. It takes awhile to uncheck suck in the T-6.
I'm not trying to sound cocky; but I definitely did it a little earlier than some of my peers and it still felt like it took a very very long time.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget how different it is for students than instructors in TRACOM though. We certainly have it awesome in the sense that we have few duties to cover and no job outside of flying. But, it definitely sucks to be learning something entirely new and be told how much you suck everyday. It takes awhile to uncheck suck in the T-6.
I'm not trying to sound cocky; but I definitely did it a little earlier than some of my peers and it still felt like it took a very very long time.

I agree, I was a Vance guy so I fucking HATED primary. I despised flying with the IPs, I hated the system, and I felt like I got my ass kicked by the airplane every day until about halfway thru contacts when I flew with an American Airlines furloughed 0-5 AF reserve type who was like "look dude, let's go out there and have fun for about 2 hours and I'm going to teach you some shit. You tell me what you're fucking up, we'll fix it, and I'll add my pointers." That flight was 1. the first time I had fun. 2. the Aha! moment, and 3. when it was reinforced that the dudes with 6-8000 hours probably had more of a clue than the brand new FAIP who screamed because you fucked up a PEL or called departing at the wrong point in the pattern. Those guys, I just used my handy dandy valve stem remover on two of their tires in the parking lot.

He hooked me up and pulled a little bit of juice with Skeds and we ended up flying together a couple more times sequentially, and it was a definite improvement by leaps and bounds over the other flights.

Even without flying with any of the NUBs yet, it's kind of comical to see someone who's all assholes and elbows just walking around. Plus you guys look ridiculous when you walk from your car to the sim bay all decked out in your flight gear to go to an early sim (no shit saw a guy get dressed in the parking lot). I figured I would let him learn on his own that he was being silly. Call it schadenfreude or whatever, but I still laugh at you guys.

Advanced was awesome. It was great to be back in the warm embrace of the US Navy. And then I went to 30...womp womp wompppppp.

Now I'm back to relearning the same airplane you just got done flying, and it definitely still kicks my ass. It is not an easy airplane to fly. I'm used to driving a dump truck, or a Caddy, if you want to be real nice, and this thing is like a roadster. It's touchy, got a ton of power for being so light, doesn't weigh much and gets kicked around in winds, and has some silly ass landing gear. Plus, I'm still scared to death that I'm going to get a harness strap wrapped around that seat and punch myself out over Waldo or something. Ignorance was bliss the first time I flew it.

The only thing that makes it easier is I've got knowledges that let me go 'ok this is what the EP says, now what would a pilot do?" to fall back on. I can also talk on the radios without sounding too much like a jackass, though the differences in Comms in the cradle vs everywhere else seem kind of silly, but whatever.

Erin M.

pilot
Even without flying with any of the NUBs yet, it's kind of comical to see someone who's all assholes and elbows just walking around. Plus you guys look ridiculous when you walk from your car to the sim bay all decked out in your flight gear to go to an early sim (no shit saw a guy get dressed in the parking lot). I figured I would let him learn on his own that he was being silly. Call it schadenfreude or whatever, but I still laugh at you guys.

Someone did not get the memo! That poor guy probably got so much ridicule walking into the sim building.

Erin M.

pilot
Your experience at Vance is pretty similar to the experience that I had early on. I hated it and hated flying and actually wished to be cancelled early and often. I had airsickness issues too.

I got the meds, and that helped. Then, probably on my 4201, I got a 5 for general knowledge and for the first time I didn't feel like an idiot. I knew what I was supposed to know for the brief backwards and forwards and my onwing told me that was the level of knowledge he expected. It made me significantly less nervous/anxious when we went to the plane. That is when it clicked for me. I finally wasn't scared of doing everything wrong and being yelled at for my mistakes. I still made tons of mistakes, but I recognized them, began making corrections, tuned out the yelling part and listened for the instruction part. After that, I came to every brief with that same level of preparation and got a 5 on knowledge for nearly every flight for the remainder of Primary. (Probably why I got jets.) More importantly though, I stressed out less and flying became more and more fun. I finally began to look forward to flying and flying began to become more and more natural and intuitive.

So, for anyone reading who is just starting, my advice would be to hit the books hard, early, and often. Once you know what you are supposed to know (and I mean really know it), it becomes significantly easier to learn to fly the plane.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Don't worry, you're going to feel like a complete and utter moron all over again once you get in the mighty clown jet. I remember going from 'man, I've got this flying thing DOWN' at the end of Primary to 'I have no idea what I'm doing' when I got to Meridian.

That being said, enjoy it. Flight school was awesome. The fleet...not so much.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Don't worry, you're going to feel like a complete and utter moron all over again once you get in the mighty clown jet.

And then you'll get to feel like that in the RAG. But don't worry, after that....well, you'll get to feel like that again when you get to the fleet, and then again when you start Level III.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That being said, enjoy it. Flight school was awesome. The fleet...not so much.
Please say your kidding? If you are serious, Naval Aviation is in worse shape than I thought. It used to be an honor and a privilege to fly high-performance aircraft in "the fleet", every young boy's dream. Is that no longer true? If so... heartbreaking!:(

Any other comments/opinions? Seriously, this really boggles my mind.:confused:
BzB

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
Please say your kidding? If you are serious, Naval Aviation is in worse shape than I thought. It used to be an honor and a privilege to fly high-performance aircraft in "the fleet", every young boy's dream. Is that no longer true? If so... heartbreaking!:(

BzB

Concur. 13+ hours a day at work is a real buzz kill...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the number of hours spent at work is your only metric for job satisfaction, then you may be in the wrong business. Conversely, being in the fleet (as opposed to the Tracom) is where you will practice and perfect your art. There are few things in life that top flying a great low level through the mountains, or a day of case I flying around the boat. Those are the rewards for having to do a demanding job as a fleet aviator.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Erin, I know this is your thread and all, but slow the roll on telling everyone how awesome you were in Primary. Your world is about to get bigger and the scoreboard gets reset.

I applaud dudes who want clown colored aircraft. I don't think I have the patience.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Erin, I know this is your thread and all, but slow the roll on telling everyone how awesome you were in Primary. Your world is about to get bigger and the scoreboard gets reset.

I applaud dudes who want clown colored aircraft. I don't think I have the patience.
Agree. Hope you enjoyed your 15 minutes of awesomeness. Primary is...well, primary. You just got a chance to sit at the big kids table, but you have a long way to go before you work your way up to the adult table.
I am proud of you, seriously, and am glad you got your first choice, as with anyone who strives for such things, but better men and women have gone on to utter defeat in advanced or their first round of FRS CQ.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot

BzB

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that he should enjoy the TRACOM/FRS. Life as a stud is the shit. You know what to study for days (or weeks) ahead of time. You come in about 45 minutes prior to your brief, prep, brief, go flying, debrief, out the door you go. Hit the books with your buddies over a few beers, rinse and repeat. No ground job(s). 12+ hour days are the rare exception, not the norm. No real responsibility other than not showing your ass in the airplane. And best of all? You're in America.

Enjoy it. Enjoy the shit out of it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that he should enjoy the TRACOM/FRS. Life as a stud is the shit. You know what to study for days (or weeks) ahead of time. You come in about 45 minutes prior to your brief, prep, brief, go flying, debrief, out the door you go. Hit the books with your buddies over a few beers, rinse and repeat. No ground job(s). 12+ hour days are the rare exception, not the norm. No real responsibility other than not showing your ass in the airplane. And best of all? You're in America.

Enjoy it. Enjoy the shit out of it.

Which RAG did you go to? -106 isn't like that at all.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
106 isn't like that at all.

I went to 106. While the RAG certainly had its intense moments (our strike det was a nightmare), it really is the TRACOM with gray jets. Lectures, sims, flights, and the occasional duty day. Don't be late, be prepared, and don't be a complete moron in the jet. The syllabus is fairly rigid with prereqs, so you have a pretty good idea of what is coming up next. If you're racking up 12+ hour days on a daily basis at the beach, you're doing something wrong. And if you have a ground job...you're really doing something wrong.

b0pric01

pilot
I stressed out less and flying became more and more fun. I finally began to look forward to flying and flying began to become more and more natural and intuitive.

When are you saying this should happen for me? I am fairly far into the curriculum. Also, someone has an oddly similar profile picture to me although theirs is slightly less homo...