• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Location Info again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
hahahah, I know, i know. just always got a kick out of the little speech we got from barney fife about how dangerous they were, then you never saw them!lol

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
thundersquid said:
Does anyone know anything about Bridge Point Landing housing in portland?

Portland would be a ****ing long commute to the NAS. It's on the opposite side of the bay, and their isn't a bridge for awhile.

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
thundersquid said:
- Is there a military hospital there or not?
o I have gotten conflicting information on this question.

Any insight and opinions is appreciated.

Yes, there is a military hospital there. I just paid a visit in April, so I promise it exists. :)

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
What is the base housing like?
o Anyone have pictures of the inside
- What is youth recreation like?
o Summer sports?
o A Recreation center?
- Is there stuff for the family to do?
o Zoo’s
o Lots of Parks?
 (at least more than are in P-cola)
- Is there a military hospital there or not?

There is some very nice brand new base housing but I believe that only people who are already in the older housing are being moved into it. When we were looking in Dec. there was a 4 month wait for base housing, so we decided to rent in town.
There are opportunities for soccer, little league, and all that stuff like any other city. I'm not sure what they have on base for that though.
There is a pool and gym on base for all active/dependents to use.
There is no zoo in Corpus but there is an aquarium and the USS Lexington aircraft carrier museum.
In town, there are lots of parks, most located near schools, with playgrounds.
The military hospital in Corpus is not a fully-functioning hospital. It really is just some basic drs. offices. For most things, you go there first (to see your primary care dr. in family practice) and then get a referral to go off-base. Any actual hospital care will be done at a civilian hospital in town. There is a family practice and pediatrics office in the hospital that you'll be required to use, though.
School-wise, as I said in another thread, Flour Bluff schools (which service the base as well) are just average. They only have 1 school (1 primary K-2, 1 elementary 3-5, etc. etc.) so no matter where you live (nice neighborhood or run down shack) in Flour Bluff, all attend the same school. In Corpus, the best school (or what is seen as the best school) is Mireles Elementary, in Southside on Yorktown and Cimarron.
Best of luck!

thundersquid

pilot
NFOwife said:
In Corpus, the best school (or what is seen as the best school) is Mireles Elementary, in Southside on Yorktown and Cimarron.
Best of luck!

Just out of curiosity, are you a teacher at that school?

NFOwife

Aviator Spouse
No, but I have been substituting in many many of CCISD elementary schools since January, and have been an elementary teacher for 5 years. I say it is considered the best, because that is the view of many teachers at many schools in CCISD, and from subbing there myself. It's not only the teachers that make a school "the best". It's the students who attend, and the parental support. I'm not saying it is the best I've ever seen...but it's one of the best overall I've seen in CCISD. Other good ones are Barnes, Sanders, Smith, Jones, and Club Estates.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There WAS a zoo in Corpus, and I went once. It was out by the botanical gardens (aka, "here is a desert in a fenced enclosure"). The "zoo" had a (no-sh!t) DOG in a cage. And a cow.

I really think Corpus is an okay place, but that kind of stuff is what gives it such a bad rap.

thundersquid

pilot
We'll be your partners in that zoo "venture". We can add our cat (we can call him a panther after we put him in a cage, to make it sound more exciting), a gecko, and a tree frog. They'll be coming from miles around to see our zoo, if the dog and cow was good enough in the old zoo.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least it was free. They actually had a sign up with the latin names for dog and cow...

The aquarium is awesome though, good sea otter exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.