• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Location Info again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
don't let the picture fool you, half of those modern down town buildings were abandonned.

In all honesty, it all just depends on what you like. If you prefer having a modern grocery store, target, restuarants.... less than 5 mins away (if you live somewhere near Staples St a lot of SNA's do) but you don't mind the dirtier city, then Corpus will probably be for you.

If you prefer cleaner, greener friendly place, then I would recommend Whiting.

Whiting does claim to be the busiest airspace there is... I will say this, it does not hold a candle to Corpus. You will learn how to handle quick comms better there, and flying over the wat 99% of the time is cool. But it has (in the last year) take longer to get through the training when compared to North Field.

If you like going to the beach and seeing people there and enjoy clean water, stay in P-cola. I went to the corpus beach once. NEVER again. Not becuase the water is dark (I grew up in CA so I am used to dark water) it was becuase it was brown, smelled and had trash all over it.

anyway that is the last of my rants on that town. Given the choice to do over again, I would have stayed in FL.

thundersquid

pilot
Yes, I know not to judge a book by its cover, but your specific comments about the city are appreciated. I sheds some light on the area down there. Thanks again.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
no, P'cola's airspace is busier. Just because the controllers in Corpus are bigger arseholes does not mean its busier.

In P'cola: Whiting, Sherman, Regional, Mobile to the west and Eglin to east

Corpus: Corpus, International (haha, yeah), K'rock

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Punk said:
no, P'cola's airspace is busier. Just because the controllers in Corpus are bigger arseholes does not mean its busier.

In P'cola: Whiting, Sherman, Regional, Mobile to the west and Eglin to east

Corpus: Corpus, International (haha, yeah), K'rock

And I assume you have experience flying in CRP/NGP airspace to make this assertion? Oh wait....
:icon_tong

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
squeeze said:
And I assume you have experience flying in CRP/NGP airspace to make this assertion? Oh wait....
:icon_tong

ouch, simple numbers my dear boy, simple numbers

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Well all I can say is I have FLOWN in both a good deal, pensacola does not carry a candle to the Corpus area.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
What he means is, at Corpus we have a crap ton of T-44's, TC-12's, P-3's (Customs), CG Falcon thing and T-34s. T-34's only have 1 OLF (limited to 5 AC at a time) and 2 civ fields, one being Intl, and the other also limited to 6 if I remember correctly. Home field is a nightmare for sure, even with Parallel runways. I don't doubt it's busier here in Pcola area, but it's seems more spread out, whereas Corpus is way more cluttered.

Here in helo land, all the OLF's are nice, especially compared to our 1 at CC.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
P'cola: 6 VT's (3 @ Whiting, 3 @ Sherman), 2 HT's, Regional (busier than Corpus "International"), Eglin's box

Corpus: 4 VT's (2 T-34, 1 TC-12, 1 T-44), Marine H-53 squadron, Customs P-3, 2 maybe 3 Falcon CG jets?, International

those are looking at the same geographically sized areas

Pensacola Regional: FY '02 1,089,000 passengers http://www.flypensacola.com/PDFs/Air Service Study.pdf

Corpus International: FY '02 57,360 passengers
http://www.corpuschristiairport.com/files/g4/General Activity Report 2003.pdf

I will give you that 1 OLF is worse off than the 6 or so in A-292

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
look man I will give you that the P-cola area has more sqds. But u also left out the 2 jet VT-s that come and play at NGP and CRP, and like I said b4, the airspace around corpus is busier than Whiting or Pcola. It is a simple density question. Corpus you are radar contact ALL THE TIME. none of this clear of class C, squawk 1200 stuff. We work in less area than the pcola region also. Whiting/Sherman may launch more aircraft on a given day, but the launch and LEAVE. Corpus empty's the airfield everyday and no one goes anywhere. Here, you might see a T-34 launch a couple times a day from whiting. in corpus it is non stop from field open till close, with guys being allowed to do homefield bounce. They do not do that in whiting. So add in a full pattern at all times too.

Not trying to knock whiting, but as far as learning to fly with a radio enduced helmet fire, whiting does not compare. Again this is coming from someone who has had a good deal of experience with both areas.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
Punk: Those numbers for CC International looked waaaaay low. I think you only put down one months worth if I read the web site for CCI correctly. They had year to date numbers of over 700K for passengers.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aircraft Operations (courtesy of Airnav.com)

KCRP: 323 ops/day

KPNS: 361 ops/day

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I dont think that the question is the number of flights per day. The two locations have roughly the same amount. All the corpus guys are saying is that due to the lack of outlying fields, crp is a little more hecktic. Due to the high volume and lack of any place to go, all crp flights are controlled. CRP guys have 8, if I recall, working areas and only one outlying field with which to do bounces. Whiting has a large number of flights per day as well. However, Whiting unlike Corpus has numerous outlying fields and working areas for those flight to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.