• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Location Info again

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundersquid

pilot
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I will do it anyway. I have just been asked if I want to go to Corpus Christi instead of Whiting. They said I can go to Corpus Christi in October or I can wait for Whiting and go in February or so. I hadn’t really ever thought of going to Corpus Christi because I am married and I had already gotten follow on orders to Whiting. I am not asking for advice, but rather information so I can make an educated decision. Anyway, I was hoping some of you could share your thoughts and opinions on each. I did a search through the forums and got some information. Here is some of the stuff that I already heard about:

- VFR course rules are less complicated at Corpus Christi
- SNA’s finish primary sooner at Whiting
- You don’t get to fly as often at Corpus Christi
- The squadron is “laid back” in Corpus Christi
o This is subjective, can some one expand on this
o Does this mean I’ll have fewer bruises from kneeboards at Corpus Christi

In addition, I have 3 kids (Twins – 8 yo and a 5 yo). So I would like some info regarding the quality of life down in Corpus Christi. Some stuff I would like to know is:
- What is the base housing like?
o Anyone have pictures of the inside
- What is youth recreation like?
o Summer sports?
o A Recreation center?
- Is there stuff for the family to do?
o Zoo’s
o Lots of Parks?
 (at least more than are in P-cola)
- Is there a military hospital there or not?
o I have gotten conflicting information on this question.

Any insight and opinions is appreciated.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Thunder~

-True, course rules are less complicated here at Corpus.
-Not true, that you will finish sooner at Whiting, (I started after some friends of mine and will finish the same time they will).
-From what I have seen if you study hard and catch on fast they will push you through the program fast.
-The instructor staff here is very professional and very laid back (VT-28), don't really know about 27.

They have brand new base housing, call ahead to find out if they are available.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
thundersquid said:
- VFR course rules are less complicated at Corpus Christi
- SNA’s finish primary sooner at Whiting
- You don’t get to fly as often at Corpus Christi
- The squadron is “laid back” in Corpus Christi
o This is subjective, can some one expand on this
o Does this mean I’ll have fewer bruises from kneeboards at

1. The VFR course rules at Whiting are not hard. They look nasty at first glance, but they're SIMPLE.

2. Don't know about that.

3. I have heard that before. Corpus planes seem to be broken more often, and they don't pump out as many pilots as the Whiting squadrons.

4. All I know is that I love my squadron here at Whiting. I wouldn't call it uptight at all.

zilber

pilot
First of all, as a family man with kids, the best way to invest your money is to buy a house in a nice area, and since you know that you will be here for at least over a year, what a great opportunity you have...
I agree with Fly Navy about the VFR course rules. They are not hard at all. It's like learning driving directions to work when you get a new job or move to a new town... You are going to fly them every day.
I think that there is no such a thing as a "laid back" squadron. If you are unsafe, someone will let you know. If you are not prepared for a flight, the instructor will let you know. As long as you do what you are supposed to do, you will have nothing to worry about. I love my squadron too. VT-6 is awesome, and the instructors are outstanding... Every day that I come to work, I cannot believe that I get paid to do this, and I can't believe that I call it "work"!

thundersquid

pilot
Thanks for the info, so far everyone.

BCH, I did do a search and I was only able to come up with some of the answers to my questions. Could you send me the link (or name of the title) to the threads you are reffering to. The threads I looked at were: Primary Choices, Primary FAQs, Primary in FL or TX?, Whiting v. Corpus, Corpus vs. Whiting for Primary, and Corpus Christi,.

Anyway, besides the flying stuff and primary stuff ( which I would assume to be the same at both locations), I was curious about the family stuff that I asked about in my original post. Noone seems to have addressed those questions very much and it seems like a valid question to ask on this forum.

Also, does anyone know if there are wait time after API but before begining primary at either location.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Pensacola would be much nicer for family, crime is lower, people are nicer and there are no bandito's (motorcycle gang in corpus.) Beaches are actually nice water, instead of brown.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
Pensacola would be much nicer for family, crime is lower, people are nicer and there are no bandito's (motorcycle gang in corpus.) Beaches are actually nice water, instead of brown.

Dude...I'm not disagreeing with you that Pcola is infinitely better than Corpus... but the Bandito's... come on man

It's not like you had run ins with them... or lived in the ghetto like I did. :)

zilber

pilot
I heard that there is a 3-4 week wait to start Primary at Whiting... I had to wait for 6 weeks when I got there. It was great :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Still a 6 week wait at Wing 5. Showed up beginning of June, finally classing up tomorrow.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
squeeze said:
Dude...I'm not disagreeing with you that Pcola is infinitely better than Corpus... but the Bandito's... come on man

It's not like you had run ins with them... or lived in the ghetto like I did. :)

Are you kidding man, I saw 1 in 10 mos!! Just trying to paint as horrible a picture as possible of that stink hole!!!

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
I was there for 10 months and never saw this supposed motorcycle gang. I definitely would take Corpus over Pcola anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.