• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Power, wave off, abort, $#%$, Eject!

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh. A nuke. Did you water work?

We had no AC on the JFK when I was on there.

For the most part... I did get caught once with shampoo in my hair when the water suddenly stopped.... for several hours. As far as AC goes... I pretty much think any boat's air sucks... depends too much on the water temperature around it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

The first Nuke I waved aboard was the IKE ... she was still kinda new and really, really nice, at least for a BOAT. Whenever I asked the Boss for 30 knots down the angle --- I got it ASAP. Everything worked. Amazing ....

And the water??? Pure ambrosia. Clear and cold. It didn't even taste like JP ... which was a first for me ... :)

ikele2.jpg

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now if we're talking about drinking... I remember the Chucky V having espresso machines in both the forward and aft wardrooms. We had no such commodity on Lincoln. But as I recall, it was mostly the tech rep weenies that would horde the 'bucks.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Now if we're talking about drinking... I remember the Chucky V having espresso machines in both the forward and aft wardrooms.....

Yeah ... since we've moved to "drinking" ... it's strange what you remember .... no espresso (if they had Starbuck's, I would have stayed in) .... but I remember having a "stache" of primo San Dog (EASTPAC) and CUBI Pt. (WESTPAC) medicinal alcohol in the overhead AC ducting in the void right next to my stateroom .... :) .... 'cause it was a good spot and the chilled air kept it cool .... 01-47-4-L .... right next to AirOps, LSO country if you can get it ... if memory serves .... ;)

The "store" was always open .... unless we were flying.

Happy Trails ... and bring your own glass. :D

Lawman

None
I remember having a "stache" of primo San Dog (EASTPAC) and CUBI Pt. (WESTPAC) medicinal alcohol in the overhead AC ducting in the void right next to my stateroom .... :) .... 'cause it was a good spot and the chilled air kept it cool

And everybody seems to wonder why the AC sucks on the boat..... ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

When I was on JFK 89-91, that was no issue for one of the JO bunkrooms. They simply brought aboard a window air conditioning unit and hung it in the overhead and bruild a cardboard exhaust vent that dumped the hot air into the passageway. They were nice and cool all the time until the zone inspectors discovered it and snipped the plug. Ship's company including the EMO and XO was not impressed.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now if we're talking about drinking... I remember the Chucky V having espresso machines in both the forward and aft wardrooms. We had no such commodity on Lincoln. But as I recall, it was mostly the tech rep weenies that would horde the 'bucks.

Wardroom amenities are a function of how involved the mess wants to be (and how much you want to contribute to the mess bill). The Tech Reps don't play at all as officers have to pay as they go. If the air wing gets active on the Wardroom Advisory Council, you can steer the Mess Officer to respond...especially important to keeping the "Dirty Shirt" mess up to same attractions (like working Auto-Dog and Expresso machines) as the main Wardroom. Our Dirty Shirt on JFK was virtually abandoned being on the 0-3 level and rarely visited by the Mess Officer. Every Ready Room collaborated and sent senior JOs to participate in advising the council and the squadron XO/COs then engaged the ship's XO who monitored the results. The Dirty Shirt got fixed pretty quick.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. They were in both wardrooms when I was there as I recall (2002-2003).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And everybody seems to wonder why the AC sucks on the boat..... ;)
Well, not everybody. When you own the A/C, it tends to stay pretty good in your stateroom. This is partly a function of owning that particular work center that maintains/operate the A/C's, but also of ensuring the proper maintenance is done on the intake ducts....which tends to be the responsibility of each division's DCPO (Damage Control Petty Officer). If those intake ducts are not properly maintained, your A/C will most assuredly suck.

phrogpilot73

They aren't free for RW guys either -- you need to be able to get into any LZ on the first pass -- it doesn't matter if it is going to be really dusty.
I disagree. I waved off one night THREE times, while trying to insert a Recon team up near the Syrian border. It was that talcum powder like sand, LLL and NO visible horizon whatsoever. I waved off because there was a good possibility that if I didn't, we would have died. It was free at that moment...

hscs

pilot
Yeah, it sucks out there, especially on low light. My point was that there are times where a waveoff will blow the element of surprise or leave one team (who was able to get in) without supporting elements.

phrogpilot73

Yeah, it sucks out there, especially on low light. My point was that there are times where a waveoff will blow the element of surprise or leave one team (who was able to get in) without supporting elements.
Agreed, what I did was hardly optimum... Luckily, the insert point was 4 clicks away from their objective, and about 10 clicks away from the nearest village...