• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Power, wave off, abort, $#%$, Eject!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for that guys...a legend I'd never heard.

Don't forget...we can't know if you don't tell us. Thanks for passing it on.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for that guys...a legend I'd never heard.

Don't forget...we can't know if you don't tell us. Thanks for passing it on.

He was also famous for saying:

"He who dies with the most toys, wins!"

I think he might "won" at least for his generation. Suspect FlyNavy is trying to win in his generation, at least in realm of firearms.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
He was also famous for saying:

"He who dies with the most toys, wins!"

I think he might "won" at least for his generation. Suspect FlyNavy is trying to win in his generation, at least in realm of firearms.

He's making up for his lack of BFM talent.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Quick question. Is that camera that the LSO used in this video, mounted right on the deck exactly where the pilot should land if he hits the third wire?

That would be my guess where it would be planted so they'd know if the pilot flew the ball perfectly, but it also sounds like if they put it there, it'd get smashed at some point by a plane.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Quick question. Is that camera that the LSO used in this video, mounted right on the deck exactly where the pilot should land if he hits the third wire?

That would be my guess where it would be planted so they'd know if the pilot flew the ball perfectly, but it also sounds like if they put it there, it'd get smashed at some point by a plane.

It's protected, not going to get damaged.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
It's protected, not going to get damaged.

And they just aim it right up the proper glidepath, eh? Interesting. A few years ago before I started reading about this stuff, I figured that the pilots just zinged it at the runway and hoped for the best. I had no idea about the meatball, the LSO, or that camera. What a fool I was:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And they just aim it right up the proper glidepath, eh? Interesting. A few years ago before I started reading about this stuff, I figured that the pilots just zinged it at the runway and hoped for the best. I had no idea about the meatball, the LSO, or that camera. What a fool I was:D

Careful with your tenses. ;)

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What's that lens? It looks... so.... simple.... ;)

That would look quite similiar to a 1-ball high approach today. And by the way, you're lined up right.

And by the way ... it's not my pass ... just a generic. :)

I never cruised with F-18's. ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Indeed, sir. .... What ever happened to meatball, lineup , and AOA???

Well, younger Brother .... I think perhaps "they" went away when "these" guys left the platform .... ;) But then, I'm just an 'ol fool ....

dsc01887smallue1.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Indeed, sir. Those guys land with a right mainmount left of centerline almost every day! What ever happened to meatball, lineup , and AOA???

Yes, we would call that 72 left or right.