• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Place to live in JAX

MasterBates

My ex used to teach in JAX. Some Duval County schools are a war zone, where she was more of a referee than teacher, and others were as good as the private schools.

All depends on what school district your house falls into. About 1/2 of JOPA wives were teachers (Manatee included) and they had good gouge on where is OK and where is bad. Contact the VP-30 Knives Club perhaps?

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
We're trying to place them in Clay, based on my husband's experiences. His father spent 2 tours in Jax (Mayport, included) He was bused inner city from Mayport base housing in the 80's. 2nd tour = he attended a private school (Word of Life, if you've heard of it). Rode the bus with a stripper coming off her night shift. We're both products of senior high FL school system... Bourne - you're right on the mark.

Aircrew Instruc

None
Damn hot teachers having sex with students and stripper bus drivers. Why did I never have this I'd have been a straight A student.:D

MasterBates

Yeah.... I wanted to nail my Algebra teacher.. Especially when we came back for senior year and she got "upgrades" over the summer.

Optimum11

How is the base housing in Mayport? Anyone have any links to check that out. I heard there was some renovation done.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
How is the base housing in Mayport? Anyone have any links to check that out. I heard there was some renovation done.

Fyi, the base housing will be undergoing renovation here at NAS Jax. All families will be booted out, given the option and priority at Mayport base housing and a $500 month stipend for gas.
That is all.

Maverick1686

DO NOT LIVE IN ORANGE PARK! Traffic sucks. Mayport = 1 hour drive. Southside, Mandarin, Baymeadows is the place to be. You always go against traffic and the newer stuff is over here.

Odds are, you won't get JAX as your permanent squadron cause everyone wants to stay here (don't buy a house cause you'll probably have to move).

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
Just adding to the below - NAS JAX's Patriot's Point is in Phase demo. No new occupants. We inquired last month and were told that we'd be placed on the Yellow Water housing list (no guarantee that there would be a spot for us, as they are shifting existing occupants currently at NAS JAX). Poster inquiring on Mayport, I'd suggest contacting BOTH housing office and GMH directly for a status on renovations and how that coincides with your timeline. I say contact 'both', as I had to take status from both to fill in the gaps. Both offices do not seem to be meshing, in terms of the communication they are releasing to inquiring prospects. I was also told of the $500 stipend, those re-routed to Yellow Water, I was also told by GMH that we'd receive 1st month 1/2 rent. (That was as of last month, so not sure if that offer is still in effect).

Fyi, the base housing will be undergoing renovation here at NAS Jax. All families will be booted out, given the option and priority at Mayport base housing and a $500 month stipend for gas.
That is all.

Rebel652

pilot
Is the area right next to Uni of North FL an OK spot? I'm looking into some apartments off of J Tuner Butler Blvd. Also any idea of drive time to NAS from that area taking 295. Thanks.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Is the area right next to Uni of North FL an OK spot? I'm looking into some apartments off of J Tuner Butler Blvd. Also any idea of drive time to NAS from that area taking 295. Thanks.

I go to grad school at UNF. It takes 25 minutes NAS to UNF via 9A/295 at 1400 and 1800 respectively. That's with no accidents/backups on the Buckman Bridge. During traffic hours...figure 45 mins or so, no wrecks.

Obviously lots of women in those apartments from UNF, but in a semi-sketchy area. Beach Blvd/St. John's Bluff not ghetto, but not great either. Kind of industrial park-ish.

1 mile south of UNF is better, newer, more upscale apartments. Decent bars and restaurants.
Cheers.

Rebel652

pilot
Thanks for the info. The place I'm looking at is Esplanade at Town Center. From the website it seems pretty high class. I was trying to find a place midway between the base and the beach - being next to the college is also a plus .:D