• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Place to live in JAX

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
May I suggest the Cleveland Arms apartments? So what if it's the center of action for the murder capitol of Florida. I would say look over towards San Jose or Southside Blvd. Generally a better area of town than the West side and several decent apartments and houses.

Not to mention if you take Southside over to Beach you will hit what is probably the classiest bar in Jax Beach :icon_tong

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I live in Oakleaf/Argyle area and the traffic isn't too bad. There are multiple ways to get down to the base. The housing is new or relatively new. The market here continues to go down, but it should make for a pretty decent buyers market. The Oakleaf towncenter is coming along nicely and will have all of the conveniences you need very shortly. Good luck with your housing hunt and purchase/decision.

EM1

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Big 2nd on the Riverside/Avon area. It's a bit of, ahem, the flamboyant part of town but I lived in an apartment on the river with the base in the distance. Paid 7 hundy a month (been a few years) and had a blast. Couple of great bars/restys over there too (West end, Bistro X and the like). If you like hardwood floors, big ass ceilings and old Florida it's for you. If you like cookie cutter apartment complexes then it's not. OBTW, you'll take Riverside Ave to 17 (The back way into base) and takes all of 10 minutes.

propwife

Witty User Title Goes Here
My husband is also going to VP-30.

Avondale - does anyone know the zip code? to filter in rental searches? It sounds like an interesting area. Is it comparable to Ghent in Norfolk?

JBM - We're looking at Lighthouse at Fleming Island.
www.lighthousect.com Flexible lease terms, with varying rent rates dependent on the length of your lease agreement. I believe Webmaster? resided there.. gave me an excellent personal recommendation on another thread.

We have children, so school district vs. commute for husband.. Trying to find a balance! There's virtual tours on the website, and you can secure your unit (down to the address..) online. Including, submitting your application and paying your deposits. I'm not a fan of sight unseen, but fortunately, have networked with a friend who is now down there in Eagle Harbor and willing to help preview for us. Husband is deployed and receives his house hunting upon return = days before transfer. ;)

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
The only restriction that I was aware of is DLA. I believe you are only entitled to that once a fiscal year.

Not true. There are exceptions to that rule, and our aviation-pipeline PCS's almost always fit under one of the exceptions. It's easy enough to look up online. I got DLA twice last fiscal year.

MasterBates

3 DLA's in FY07. Reduced rate after 1st move. (85%ish)
NRB-NGP
NGP-NQI
NQI-NGP

I will have 2 DLAs in FY08 as well.
NGP-NQI
NQI-Norfolk

MasterBates

Yep.. Market in JAX is depressed. If you are a RAG IP or know you will stay in JAX for follow on orders, may not be a bad time to buy.

EM1toNFO

None
school district in Clay County is a little better IMO... zip for Orange Park, 32073

EM1toNFO

None
for what ? In-Breds?

Look at the FCAT's and you'll see a trend.. also as a recruiter who works in both school districts... MORE... ALOT MORE people that come out of Clay do better on the ASVAB and EST (screening short ASVAB) than do from Duval.. but hey what do i know.. I'm just a SCRUB... ;)

BourneID

pilot
Look at the FCAT's and you'll see a trend.. also as a recruiter who works in both school districts... MORE... ALOT MORE people that come out of Clay do better on the ASVAB and EST (screening short ASVAB) than do from Duval.. but hey what do i know.. I'm just a SCRUB... ;)

Growing up in Florida, and having family that are teachers, the FCAT is a pain in the ass. A kid could do good in school, and not pass the FCAT and get held back a grade. So I think teaching towards a specific test is common practice in some counties, just to enhance funding. As for the ASVAB, ok you got me there. My personal experience is that people from that side of 295, don't speak as intellegently as people from the other side of 295 (could be just who I surrond myself with though).

robav8r

None
Contributor
Duval county sucks - period. If you have kids, put them in either St. Johns, or Clay county schools.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Whoa!
1. Avondale - 10 mins from base. Although it's holding value b/c it's a historic district.
2. Private schools 6-7 top rated parochial schools in Avondale/Ortega. Full of officers kids.

Jeez, Duval is skewed. Any county with Ribault and Raines High schools is going to suck.