• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Place to live in JAX

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Just got picked up for VP-30 this afternoon and I report April 11. Any suggestions on where to live? And can I expect a little bit of house hunting leave :D

Aircrew Instruc

None
Just got picked up for VT-30 this afternoon and I report April 11. Any suggestions on where to live? And can I expect a little bit of house hunting leave :D

Actually your going to VP-30 and my advice is stay off of Wells Rd and Orange Park. It's only 6 miles to work but it WILL take you 45 min in the morning to get on base. Go over the bridge to Mandarin or Southside. MOre miles but less time.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
May I suggest the Cleveland Arms apartments? So what if it's the center of action for the murder capitol of Florida. I would say look over towards San Jose or Southside Blvd. Generally a better area of town than the West side and several decent apartments and houses.

Aircrew Instruc

None
Hey Man

Hey if your leaving Primary now you probably know me. I'm ENS Paul Andruzzi been on hold forever in API. If you know Moss or Kulubis you probably know me. If you have any questions ablout Jax PM me I lived there for 10 years so I know the area pretty well. Later Paul

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
don't know if this changes anything but I'm thinking of buying a house while I'm there.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
don't know if this changes anything but I'm thinking of buying a house while I'm there.

Never been to Jax but I would rent or live on base until you get your orders to your fleet squadron then if you stay in Jax you will know the town and be in a great position to find a house.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Wouldn't buy a house in Jax until you know you are going to stay there for your first fleet tour. Southside/Mandrin area are definately the way to go for ease of commute.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Actually your going to VP-30 and my advice is stay off of Wells Rd and Orange Park. It's only 6 miles to work but it WILL take you 45 min in the morning to get on base. Go over the bridge to Mandarin or Southside. MOre miles but less time.
I agree, those are nice parts of town. Also north of NAS Jax is nice too, and a much shorter drive. I just can't think of the neighborhood names at the moment though.

BourneID

pilot
If your just looking to rent for a while and want ashort commute to work, look in the Avondale area. Its very historic, and old, but there are several nice renovated one a two bedroom apartments at a decent price, and it takes only 10 minutes to get to work.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
http://www.vintageatplantationbay.com/

North of 295 loop so you don't get stuck in all of the Oakleaf traffic. Nice apartments and nice staff. About 15 minute drive to VP 30 parking lot. If you end up buying a house Adams is building reasonably priced all brick homes on the old golf course in the same exact location. Very convenient to everything minus the southbound traffic. Three routes to work in case any are blocked. Collins Road, 103rd, or 295.

http://www.adamshomes.com/index.cfm?webID=291

Tri-Kedge

None
If your just looking to rent for a while and want ashort commute to work, look in the Avondale area. Its very historic, and old, but there are several nice renovated one a two bedroom apartments at a decent price, and it takes only 10 minutes to get to work.

Completely agree! Live in San Marco, Riverside, Avendale, or Ortega. The rest of Jax is sprawl. If you are looking to buy, these areas are pretty expensive so you may want to look in Springfield, La Villa, or Brooklyn.

If you are into suburbia then Fleming Island is probably the way to go.

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
One more question. I did a DITY move down to Pensacola, so does that mean that I can't do one when I move to Jacksonville? I've heard you are limited to one every two years.

Rubiks06

pilot
The only restriction that I was aware of is DLA. I believe you are only entitled to that once a fiscal year.