• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot's gun discharges in flight

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If you'd shacked them before you had to eject, you wouldn't be in this predicatment would you????
I dunno if I want to do that ... "shack" or the past tense "shacked" had a slightly different connotation in the ol' days ... :) ... and who said anything about "ejecting" --- party pooper.

I'd rather just "bomb" them ... *sigh* .... we so loved to bomb gomers.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The Stopping Power myth is retarded.

Shot Placement is the equalizer. I could shoot someone 10 times with a .45 and if my shot placement sucks, they could live. A well placed, accurate 9mm round will kill a target just as easily as a well placed, accurate .45 round will.

Also, it is not as if someone shot with a 9mm would laugh at you and say "Ha Ha! Clearly you have not used a round with sufficient STOPPING POWER!" while he continued on. He would probably just fall over.

Bottom line: Someone with a sucking chest wound does not give a shit whether the size of the hole is .354 inches or .45 inches in diameter.

Sorry, off my soapbox now.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I was embarrassed for the guy; I bet he gets an unflattering nickname. I felt sorry for the guy who trained him too.

In close quarters or if you have small hands like me, a nine mil is just right--it fits nicely in the small of your back. A 45 would be difficult to conceal--

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At least the Captain apparently had the weapon pointed away from the F/O ..... unless of course, it was the F/O who fired it. :eek: :eek:

Attachments

• file.asp.jpg
    file.asp.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 110
  • file-2.asp.jpg
    file-2.asp.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 106

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Why would you even chamber a round?

I've been carrying for nearly three years. Condition One, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety on. That's with my 1911. It's not any use if I chamber a round while being rushed by a carjacker, crack head, or garden variety street punk.

I've personally switched to carrying my Glock 23 instead, I'm just not proficient and trained highly enough to trust myself with the single-action 1911 and 7 lbs trigger pull. Even with monthly IDPA and USPA matches to keep practiced...

mike172

GO NAVY
/THREAD JACK

If someone were to shoot a bullet say at 30,000 ft and it went through a pressurized aircraft would the plane really rip to shreds/crash to the ground? Or is that a movie thing? What would happen if a bullet were to go through the skin at a high altitude like 30k and also lets say 10k or something lower. Just curious.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
/THREAD JACK

If someone were to shoot a bullet say at 30,000 ft and it went through a pressurized aircraft would the plane really rip to shreds/crash to the ground? Or is that a movie thing? What would happen if a bullet were to go through the skin at a high altitude like 30k and also lets say 10k or something lower. Just curious.

Just like you see in the movies. KA-BOOM!

Compliments of Top Gun:

explode.jpg

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
/THREAD JACK

Just like cars rolling over don't go kaboom like they do in the movies. They proved it on "Myth Busters"...

mike172

GO NAVY
Just like cars rolling over don't go kaboom like they do in the movies. They proved it on "Myth Busters"...

So does that mean if a bullet were to go through say a window, the plane would fly normally? I assume oxygen masks would deploy though. People would not be sucked out of windows? whole sections of the fuselage would not rip off?... anti climatic. Although I have to say rather pleased that planes are not: bullets = auto die.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Bullet hole through the fuselage, pressurization system might have to work a little harder. Pax probably wouldn't even notice it.

Blow out a pax window on a large plane, pressurization might have to work harder still. Smaller planes maybe lose pressurization and have the masks deploy (2 outlfow valves on a DC-10 that are the size of a double door and single door. On the 717 about 3 ft x 3 ft.) . Pax sitting there might have his magazine sucked out.

Blow out the cockpit window and you can forget about being pressurized.

Granted, this is just my best guess. I don't plan on trying to see if I am right.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Small hole = very little suckation.
Bigger hole = much greater suckation.

[Relief tubes are too small to cause depressurization. :D ]
Transport aircraft pressurization outflow valves are still slightly cracked open even at high altitude, to regulate and maintain the internal cabin pressure altitude below its design limits.

But bigger holes – like windows or cargo doors – cause ever greater problems.

One of my favorite stories (sorry, no pictures) is related below:

[1990 incident] "On a flight from Birmingham, England to Malaga, Spain, at FL 173, a large section of windshield fell away from the aircraft. The decompression pulled the captain out from under his seatbelt. Despite trying to hold onto the yoke, the captain was sucked out into the opening."

"A steward in the cockpit was able to grab hold of his legs. Another steward was able to strap himself into the vacant seat and aid in holding onto the captain's legs. The copilot wearing full restraints made an emergency landing at Southampton."

"The captain remained half way out of the aircraft for 15 minutes and suffered only frostbite and some fractures. Improper bolts used to replace the windshield two days earlier resulted in the accident."

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/unusual.htm