• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot's gun discharges in flight

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Advantage with the Sig's (M11) is that it's got a floating firing pin. It won't (shouldn't) discharge if you whack the hammer with a round in the chamber.
This is why the decocker works. There is a physical block preventing the hammer from contacting the firing pin when you decock the weapon with the decocker. This block is removed when the trigger is pulled, because the designers assumed you were going to fire the weapon. Thus, if you "thumb down" the hammer, the block is removed. If your thumb should slip . . . KERBLAM!

Oh, and if you want that .45 so bad, maybe Uncle should order these . . . :icon_tong

Flugelman

Contributor
SoldierTech_Glock37-1.jpg

:)

Love 'em or hate 'em...you can't deny the simplicity.

Had a neighbor (local law enforcement type) shoot off a tip of his finger with one of these, "putting it in the box". I never got the "real" story from him, as he sued and got a settlement. :eek: I always thought that he must have done something pretty stupid to manage the feat...

Bevo16

pilot
The .45 vs 9MM debate could be ended once and for all if we could load our 9MM's with decent ammo. Any 9MM "personal defense" ammo has more stopping power than a .45FMJ.

FWIW, a Smith and Wesson M&P 9MM can hold 18 rounds. That's 10 more than the government model 1911 (even though a sexier gun has never existed IMHO).

I know several commercial pilots and none of them have taken advantage of the FFDO program. Like 90% of federal programs, they started with a good idea, and F'd it up with red tape and garbage .

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It all comes down to training. I shoot IDPA on weekends. I can tell you my handgun skills have gone up a lot.

Whatever you do..IDPA, IPSC, GSSF, etc., just do it and you can only get better.

Glock Perfection:

MinotaurHiding.gif

And my favorites: my G19 and G23 combo...same size, different flavors (9mm or .40 cal)

CIMG0045.jpg

CIMG0028.jpg

helmet91

contemplating applying again...
Because it is useless without a bang maker in the pipe. If you are going to carry a gun carry like you mean it. I suppose your CAG thought you guys would load 'em up after you punched out, when you needed it. And how are you going to load it with a broken arm or shattered hand? Even if the mag was in, you still could not rack the slide to get it into action (there are techniques for that but not taught to aircrew). It is all about training. Train the guys and you won't be killing ready room chairs.

beautifully said!

The only downside is that you don't get to rack the slide and make a cool noise (like they do in EVERY hollywood movie) when something is about ready to go down. :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The .45 vs 9MM debate could be ended once and for all if we could load our 9MM's with decent ammo. Any 9MM "personal defense" ammo has more stopping power than a .45FMJ.

FWIW, a Smith and Wesson M&P 9MM can hold 18 rounds. That's 10 more than the government model 1911 (even though a sexier gun has never existed IMHO).

I know several commercial pilots and none of them have taken advantage of the FFDO program. Like 90% of federal programs, they started with a good idea, and F'd it up with red tape and garbage .

EXACTLY. Clueless bogey buying his first gun asked many people what their take was on caliber and the consensus was that a 9mm could just as easily put down someone as a .45 with a good quality self defense round. Granted, the 45 has MORE stopping power, but the 9mm is by no means a bb gun. I guess I won't ever know until someone breaks down my door at 3am looking for blood. I'll take notes and let you know how it goes....

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ah, those pesky Geneva Conventions . . .

MasterBates

Actually its the Hauge Convention that deals with bullets and such.

Brought about by the British use of "dum dum" bullets and such by others.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Clueless bogey buying his first gun asked many people what their take was on caliber and the consensus was....
capgunkd0.jpg

I know, I know ... I've used it before. Some opportunities are just toooooooo-o-o-o-o-o good to pass up!!!

And it's tough to teach ol' dogs new tricks ... :D

phrogpilot73

Because it is useless without a bang maker in the pipe. If you are going to carry a gun carry like you mean it. I suppose your CAG thought you guys would load 'em up after you punched out, when you needed it. And how are you going to load it with a broken arm or shattered hand? Even if the mag was in, you still could not rack the slide to get it into action (there are techniques for that but not taught to aircrew). It is all about training. Train the guys and you won't be killing ready room chairs.
Maybe not taught to NAVY aircrew. SOTG offers a Pilot's Protective course that runs us through those techniques in full flight gear. We end the week o' a thousand rounds with an obstacle/evasion course where we're graded on time and accuracy.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Actually its the Hauge Convention that deals with bullets and such.

Brought about by the British use of "dum dum" bullets and such by others.

I know the answer everyone is going to give, but I'll ask the question anyway...

Should we bind ourselves to restrictions of the Geneva or Hauge Conventions, when our enemy doesn't? My personal opinion is that if you're going to carry a gun, make it as potent as possible. A Sig 226 chassis (M11) will take a .45 barrel, which you can then load with hollow points. Beats the 9mm and ball rounds we're given.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard the argument made that one of the reasons we do is because If you kill an enemy, you just take him out of the fight. If you wound him, you take two of his buddies out as they drag him away. Granted, that probably doesn't apply when the enemy is strapping bombs to his chest and walking into schools etc.:icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I've heard the argument made that one of the reasons we do is because If you kill an enemy, you just take him out of the fight. If you wound him, you take two of his buddies out as they drag him away.....

Teacher! .. TEACHER!!! TEACHER!!! I KNOW!!!
KILL ALL THREE OF THEM!!! :eek:

*sigh* ..... The textbook solution. Old school. *sigh*