• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot's gun discharges in flight

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I prefer 45ACP 230gr JHPs.

If it don't expand, its still a 45. If it expands, bonus!

+1

I use Federal "Personal Defense" 230gr JHP's in my Glock 21SF.

Glocks are great. I've never seen a weapon be able to take so much abuse and still fire reliably---and without having to worry about an external safety. Point and click.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I know the answer everyone is going to give, but I'll ask the question anyway...

Should we bind ourselves to restrictions of the Geneva or Hauge Conventions, when our enemy doesn't? My personal opinion is that if you're going to carry a gun, make it as potent as possible. A Sig 226 chassis (M11) will take a .45 barrel, which you can then load with hollow points. Beats the 9mm and ball rounds we're given.
NO, we need more men like Francis Lieber...
http://www.theamericanscholar.org/wi08/codes-bosco.html

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As much as I love my SIGs, my Glock is up there with them in terms of accuracy. I'm just scared of that so-called "Safe Action" with one in the pipe unless it's downrange AT the range . . . nor do I have confidence in my ability to execute the "Israeli Draw" at 3am when wakened by an intruder. Thus, my bedside gun is a SIG. You can't decock OR safe a Glock.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
/THREAD JACK

If someone were to shoot a bullet say at 30,000 ft and it went through a pressurized aircraft would the plane really rip to shreds/crash to the ground? Or is that a movie thing? What would happen if a bullet were to go through the skin at a high altitude like 30k and also lets say 10k or something lower. Just curious.

It depends on what you hit, don't you agree?

If the bullet goes through the skin of the a/c, it will just leave a normal bullet hole. The pressurization system can compensate for leaks. If you shoot a window and somehow it blows out, then you will probably have depressurization, but it's not going to suck a whole row of passengers out.

Now if you shot a fuel tank, then...maybe you could cause problems...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It depends on what you hit, don't you agree?.......
Yea-as, I would agree ... as personally, over the years I have wanted to shoot 4-5 of my crew members while wending my way through the towering "Q" of an Aviation career. :)

Jeff29

Science Project
I personally think it's retarded to not have your gun ready. Like wink said, it's pretty pointless to carry a weapon if it's not ready to point and shoot.

But in the ready room? Why not as part of your preflight checks, or even after you are strapped in?

MasterBates

You ever try getting a gun out, and racking it in a confined cockpit?

Also, if you are going to carry with one in the pipe, the best place to chamber it is probably pointed into a clearing barrel or over the side.

We carried condition 3 when I was in HSL-East.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Flight gear storage room is where we'd "suit up" -- always a converted void space immediately adjacent to the Ready Room on my BOATs -- hammer down, chamber empty.

Stored in your combo safe in your stateroom. Hammer down, chamber empty. :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
As much as I love my SIGs, my Glock is up there with them in terms of accuracy. I'm just scared of that so-called "Safe Action" with one in the pipe unless it's downrange AT the range . . . nor do I have confidence in my ability to execute the "Israeli Draw" at 3am when wakened by an intruder. Thus, my bedside gun is a SIG. You can't decock OR safe a Glock.

You can keep your finger off the trigger, right?

That's why Glock is "Safe Action". All the safeties are buily into the trigger, the most effective being the one between your ears.