• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot/NFO Board FY 19- 13 Aug 2019

Flyboy_35

Flyboy
Just got word that I'll be going to OCS next weekend! I was initially supposed to go November 3rd but got put on a waiting list for the Sept. 8 class. I have a lot to do over the next week but I'm really excited! See y'all out there
Did you request a earlier date?

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
I know the mission differences between HSCs and HSMs, but what are the differences in deployments, squadron life, career opportunities, etc.? Coming as a gunner from the USMC skid community, where do you think I would fit better?
All aviation communities are selecting O4 at over 100%. were hurting on the pilot side with retention and department heads. So career opportunity is high for you if you just do you job with decent effort. Both hsc and hsm are split in two groups. Those assigned to a carrier air wing and those that are Expeditionary. The latter will usually deploy on cruisers and destroyers and hsc expeditionary will do supply ship or land based dets. Id say the closest we have to the rah, yut, kill mission set is probably the hsc side of the house. but the helo world is largely very laid back so without knowing much of the skid bros outside of a couple instructors ive known, i dont have much of a basis for comparison. and dont hold your breath on navy 53s, were likely going away very soon. long before youll be up for selection.

Reg-A-Muffin0716

Resist, Retaliate, Press Forward!
Hey guys, I'm a P-8 NFO. If you guys have any questions about what a good package looks like, OCS, API, Primary, P-8 FRS, Squadron life, etc.... feel free to shoot me a private message. Mahalo and good luck at OCS, congrats to those selected.

As a former AE attached to 2 fighter squadrons (initial assignment then cross-decked) with 2 carrier deployments under his belt, I would love to go back to the boat through either Jets or Helos.

But, out of curiosity, how does the operational (i.e. in-flight) interaction between Pilots and NFO Systems Operators work, overall?

PD_

P.D.
None
I can only speak from experience in the P-3/P-8 community. Usually the pilots focus on flying the plane and the flight plan to the op area, and once there the senior NFO takes over with the majority of direction to the crew. While it's possible to have a pilot mission commander, it's generally the senior nfo leading the mission while the pilot flies. The mission of the day is variable and directed by your tasking authority.

PD_

P.D.
None
As a former AE attached to 2 fighter squadrons (initial assignment then cross-decked) with 2 carrier deployments under his belt, I would love to go back to the boat through either Jets or Helos.

But, out of curiosity, how does the operational (i.e. in-flight) interaction between Pilots and NFO Systems Operators work, overall?
But yes, it definitely works. It gets better with time and the amount of crew cohesion however.