• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Callsigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
:Lawman said:
What are you talking about? He doesnt Fly anything. ;)
That's a matter of opinion that I'll defer to winged aviators. ;)
Brett
Well, well, well ..... so NFO's don't "fly"??? We've beat this one into submission before, but then, for review for the slow learners on the board, what do those NFO's do, pray tell???

I don't need to defend Brett --- he can take care of himself. But riddle me this, "Lawman" :

.... when the guy is sitting beside you or behind you, day or night, ship or shore, good WX or foul, engine out or all jets turning and burning, and maybe even going "downtown" with you or just banging around the home-field pattern ... and maybe dying with you ..... is he "flying" with you or is he just your highly skilled male secretary ???

I think we all know the answer. :)

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Can't say for the boat, but we use "tactical" frequencies here for formation flights. Just a few presets we can choose from for formation admin and such. Then of course there are the popular standbys..

Unless you're in the Air Force, then you use Guard so everyone can know how cool your tactical callsign is.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
We heard that *** today while airborne. Sounded like a damn AWACS on guard. They were assigning squawks, freqs, and routes of flight all over the damn place.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
We heard that *** today while airborne. Sounded like a damn AWACS on guard. They were assigning squawks, freqs, and routes of flight all over the damn place.
Yeah, Lord forbid you do any preflight coordination and get your sh!t in one sock before launching...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
T&R is your friend.

My personal favorite . . . "Unknown Rider, Unknown Rider position (whatever) contact (whoever) on guard . . ." Congrats, someone else just busted the ADIZ . . .

Lawman

None
Well, well, well ..... so NFO's don't "fly"??? We've beat this one into submission before, but then, for review for the slow learners on the board, what do they do, pray tell??? I don't need to defend Brett --- he can take care of himself. But riddle me this, "Lawman" :
.... when the guy is sitting beside you or behind you, day or night, ship or shore, good WX or foul, engine out or all jets turning and burning, and maybe even going "downtown" with you or just banging around the home-field pattern ... and maybe dying with you ..... is he "flying" with you or just your highly skilled male secretary ???

I think we all know the answer. :)

Im not going out to knock the NFO field or anything. Lord knows we have enough on this site alone to have a good lynch mob. Im just giving Brett a little ribbing kinda like he did me on one of the cop threads. He gives as good as he takes so Im not worried about this being taken as a personal attack on the basis of what kind of gold wings he wears.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
T&R is your friend.

My personal favorite . . . "Unknown Rider, Unknown Rider position (whatever) contact (whoever) on guard . . ." Congrats, someone else just busted the ADIZ . . .

This would happen all the time in HI, especially after 9/11 when the AF made everyone carry crypto in the aircraft EVEN THOUGH we were also carrying MODE 4. And it wouldn't just be ADIZ penetration. So my question was always what happens if it's a civilian job coming back from the big island? He doesn't have guard, and if he did, it's not like he has a crypto packet onboard, so what, they're going to scramble some F-15s for this guy? The whole thing was kind of silly.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This would happen all the time in HI, especially after 9/11 when the AF made everyone carry crypto in the aircraft EVEN THOUGH we were also carrying MODE 4. And it wouldn't just be ADIZ penetration. So my question was always what happens if it's a civilian job coming back from the big island? He doesn't have guard, and if he did, it's not like he has a crypto packet onboard, so what, they're going to scramble some F-15s for this guy? The whole thing was kind of silly.
Yeah, most of the Air Defense guys up in the Pac NW are idiots too. We would have the warning area scheduled and we would get all kinds of overzealous unknown rider calls, especially if we went down low to rig ships and they lost our M3. We would ignore them for the most part.

Brett

phrogpilot73

Yeah, most of the Air Defense guys up in the Pac NW are idiots too. We would have the warning area scheduled and we would get all kinds of overzealous unknown rider calls, especially if we went down low to rig ships and they lost our M3. We would ignore them for the most part.

Brett
We were doing a cross country shortly after 9/11 and we were talking to approach control, under positive radar control. We heard the whole "Unknown Rider" calls, and assumed it was someone else they were talking to. After all, we were squawking and talking to approach. So, we landed (at a military airfield to boot), and tower gives us a phone number to call. We go to base ops and call. Turns out it was NORAD who wanted to give us a royal ass chewing. I ended up talking to some Air Force SSgt, and when he get all acusatory, I basically told him to fvck off. I told him that he needed to have his $hit together, and why doesn't he talk to Washington Center and Approach... By the end of the phone call he was apologizing to me. I came away feeling like those guys were a bunch of boobs.

Pugs

Back from the range
None

Brett

Yep, Went through all the filing work, scheduled the Whiskey area off of Oly for a CNO Special Project with a cruiser (CGN dating myself) , as we had been doing once a day for five days, on day five they start yelling and send a couple of F-15's out to look us over. Get back to the rock and some USAF Capt calls to chew us out, Skipper says gimme the phone and it quickly turns into a one way conversation. Base ops came a bit later and explained the basic buffoonery that goes on down there.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is fun to see someone hit their breaking point when they're called by their less than favorable callsign, especially when it's the Shoes that are calling them out.
Ahh yes, for a SWO to call an aviator by a callsign they don't like only adds fuel to the fire. And once the SWO's know you don't like it....well, it's pretty much a done deal at that point.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So my question was always what happens if it's a civilian job coming back from the big island? He doesn't have guard

121.5 MHz, the VHF guard freq that I'm sure AF simulcasts on when they transmit Guard... at least I'd hope so....

Status
Not open for further replies.