• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pilot Callsigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
Do all pilots have callsigns or just some, does it matter what platform you have, or do all pilots just get callsigns. Or are they just reserved for the cool kids who fly fast planes and drop bombs on stuff. (joke)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
All Marine pilots have them and use them. I have friends who fly Navy 53s who dont use them but I think most Navy communities use them.
We use them in the air on the back radios.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Callsigns are given to you when you fly, usually after you fvck up or do something stupid.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well mostly. In the Cobra community you dont get one unitl you can sign for an aircraft. They are generally given out for
1-real or percieved shortcoming i.e doing something dumb
2-physical abnormality
3-play on the name i.e. I ahve not distinguished myself

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You may get one in the training command but the chances of it sticking seem to be nil. I've had four suggested so far and still go by my name.

petescheu

All the jet guys do, I know that. And that's pretty much what everyone calls you all around, unless you're the skipper or xo, of course. I have a lot of friends in the helo community (Navy) and I don't think it's really that big of a deal with them. Helo bubbas correct me if I'm wrong there...

phrogpilot73

All the jet guys do, I know that. And that's pretty much what everyone calls you all around, unless you're the skipper or xo, of course. I have a lot of friends in the helo community (Navy) and I don't think it's really that big of a deal with them. Helo bubbas correct me if I'm wrong there...
We all have them... Depends on the individual how much they use them. Most people call me Shack even though my callsign is Stinky. However, we use them on the radios all the time.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We all have them... Depends on the individual how much they use them. Most people call me Shack even though my callsign is Stinky. However, we use them on the radios all the time.

What about NAVY Helo guys? Didn't seem like a whole lot had them when I was around them in Primary.

BTW... Stinky.... nice.... that must have an interesting story....

saltpeter

Gucci dudes seem to be the one's who really take pride in there callsign's. Just give yourself one and put it on your nametake and pretend not to hear anyone who uses a callsign you don't agree with.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gucci dudes seem to be the one's who really take pride in there callsign's. Just give yourself one and put it on your nametake and pretend not to hear anyone who uses a callsign you don't agree with.

Let me know how that works out for you

Lawman

None
Let me know how that works out for you
Rules for a Callsign

1. A Callsign will be selected by a group of your peers and not by you.

2. You probably wont like it

3. If you piss and moan long/loud enough a new callsign will be selected that you like even less.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
New guys remember, the more you let everyone know you dislike whatever you've been dubbed, the more people will use use it, write it on your stuff, put it on the flight sched, and introduce you as it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...If you've got a tight group of "friends"/readyroom/wardroom. Otherwise it sometimes just goes away because it's perceived as being "too cruel" or not "PC." (read: Lame excuse). From what I've seen on the Navy helo side, it's hit and miss. A lot of namebased callsigns and sometimes experienced based ones, but it's not like they have a naming party or whatever the jet guys do to get theirs. I've seen callsigns on orders, from time to time, as well.

It is fun to see someone hit their breaking point when they're called by their less than favorable callsign, especially when it's the Shoes that are calling them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.