• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 Rag

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
You people are absolute pussies. It's not like you're volunteering to actually be captured by the enemy. The hotter/colder/wetter/more miserable it is, the funnier your stories will be. SERE shouldn't hang over your head any more than having a finite lifespan. Enjoy the times you can do it for fun and not for the sole purpose of extending said lifespan.

And I'm not ragging on Airwarriors here, but even though a lot of these posts are informative and help with the hassles involved in dealing with bureaucracies and moving around, for all those going to SERE, imagine what you'd do if there was no Internet and it was 1976 all over again. Would you be more apprehensive or less? Because there is such a thing as too much information.

robav8r

None
Contributor
SERE shouldn't hang over your head any more than having a finite lifespan.
Funny & ironic. I remember being the last to get captured out in Warner Springs, CA in 1982. I went straight to the Water Board. And yes, I thought a LOT about my "finite" lifespan."
:icon_carn

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You people are absolute pussies. It's not like you're volunteering to actually be captured by the enemy. The hotter/colder/wetter/more miserable it is, the funnier your stories will be.
When I did SERE (Warner Springs 1983), it was upper 90s/sunny/humid during the day and mid 20s/sleeting/wet during the night. It was miserable at all extremes. Even the staff complained that the weather was almost too much. I might be what you consider a pussy, but it did NOT make for any funnier stories.

When I did advanced SERE in 1987, the weather was a little better but it still did NOT make for any funny stories.

And yes, both times it seemed like I was there for an infinite lifetime.

what you'd do if there was no Internet and it was 1976 all over again. Would you be more apprehensive or less? Because there is such a thing as too much information.
No internet in 1983 and yes, we were very apprehensive about SERE. For P-3 guys, it was usually the last school right before checking in to the squadron. We had the RAG and all the other BS enroute schools (leadership, physiology refresher, DWEST refresher, nuc weapons, etc.) to wonder about it. The closer it got, the instructors at the various schools took more and more delight adding to our apprehension.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You people are absolute pussies. It's not like you're volunteering to actually be captured by the enemy. The hotter/colder/wetter/more miserable it is, the funnier your stories will be. SERE shouldn't hang over your head any more than having a finite lifespan. Enjoy the times you can do it for fun and not for the sole purpose of extending said lifespan.

It was freezing temperatures with snow, rain, and sleet when I went through SERE. Funnier stories? Yeaaaaah, not so much.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I went straight to the Water Board.
The same water board the liberals are mad about yet we do it too our own guys as part of our training.

F' the liberals. If the Navy can do it to me, the CIA can do it to the terrorists.

robav8r

None
Contributor
The same water board the liberals are mad about yet we do it too our own guys as part of our training.

F' the liberals. If the Navy can do it to me, the CIA can do it to the terrorists.
Remember, there is NOTHING useful about physical torture during interrogation. I know, I know, don't get me started. HAL - ever hear of the rule in VP that said only a certain percentage of the crew/squadron had to go through SERE? I knew a guy who had to go to SERE after flight school and 20+ years in the Navy. I don't think he walked away with very many "funny" stories . . . . . . . .

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
HAL Pilot et al. - I was exaggerating a bit, but not that much. Warner Springs when I went was a 118 daytime high and a 37 nighttime low, but I think the fact I have funny stories (NOT public ones, mind you, we all signed the nondisclosure agreements) isn't because they toned it down a lot or because the weather was so nice. But maybe they did, and maybe it was.

Anyway, I still think you can have fun with it, especially since they have doctors on hand these days to make sure you don't buy it early in your career.

In the non-confidential realm,
anyone going to CA, I'd recommend putting strategically placed vents in your daytime desert clothes, and wearing a field jacket with no shirt at night while your daytime clothes dry. Life is a lot more comfy if you worry less about pleasing the Marines appearance-wise and adopt the lifestyle of the nomad, if not his religious philosophy...infidel. Also, ironed utilities and thick camo makeup stand out like a signal mirror at up to five hundred yards.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HAL - ever hear of the rule in VP that said only a certain percentage of the crew/squadron had to go through SERE?
My first tour 100% of the west coast VP had to go through SERE but east coast VP had the certain percentage thing. When I did my DH tour, it was 100% VP wide. What is going on today, I haven't a clue.

I did get a chuckle at 2 of my fellow DHs that had an east coast DH tour and never went to SERE in their first tours. All through the RAG we fed them horror stories about SROs. After the RAG, I went to check into the squadron and they went to SERE as LCDRs. When they checked in a month latter, they did not have any fun stories either.....

Never go to SERE as a LCDR.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
In the non-confidential realm, anyone going to CA, I'd recommend putting strategically placed vents in your daytime desert clothes, and wearing a field jacket with no shirt at night while your daytime clothes dry.
What's this field jacket and daytime desert clothes you talk about.....we had green fatigues and wool long underwear which were taken away as soon as we were captured. There were no jackets, no changes of clothes, no nothing. You wore it 24/7 and it never dried out.

Kids now days....they're spoiled! :D

Anyway, time to quit SERE stories. They're (rightfully) forbidden on this site.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Anyway, time to quit SERE stories. They're (rightfully) forbidden on this site.

Thats too bad. I had a one about a friend who, at the "encouragement" of his O-4 Army SF brother, wore leopard print thong type underwear during the field portion and the events that followed its discovery... Of course, he didn't think it was funny at the time, but the story afterwards sure was.

I think the moral of the story was don't wear leopard print thong underwear to SERE. That and don't trust the Army, or hinges. :icon_wink

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Thats too bad. I had a one about a friend who, at the "encouragement" of his O-4 Army SF brother, wore leopard print thong type underwear during the field portion and the events that followed its discovery... Of course, he didn't think it was funny at the time, but the story afterwards sure was.

I think the moral of the story was don't wear leopard print thong underwear to SERE. That and don't trust the Army, or hinges. :icon_wink
Stories like that are okay. Stories about the training and what they do to you as part of the training are not.