• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-3 Rag

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
VQ finishes a little bit quicker (no tactics) as I understand it and might have some other classes but other then that no different at the RAG that I know.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any thoughts on how the RAG experience differs between VP and VQ?
One's cold, one isn't. One's surrounded by mountains and bears, the other by swamps and gators. One has hot women everywhere, the other one all the hot women are married to aviators. One requires hours of ferries to get to civilization, the other is surrounded by civilization.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
One's cold, one isn't. One's surrounded by mountains and bears, the other by swamps and gators. One has hot women everywhere, the other one all the hot women are married to aviators. One requires hours of ferries to get to civilization, the other is surrounded by civilization.

Well, I'd say you are half right... considering there is one RAG that does the CAT 1 training for both. :icon_wink

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For NFO's too?
Yeah, both are conducted in the same location. The syllabus recently changed for NFOs, and now they complete their training at the FRS and get winged there. Was wierd seeing a bunch of SNFOs running around the FRS when I was there.

The question was pretty much answered. The VQ bubbas finish earlier than the VP since they don't have to do the tactics phase.

rugbychi

P3 junkie
VQ is off to Whidbey as soon as they complete their FAM 10 / NATOPS CHECK, everything is the same until that point. After the NX VP pilots go through another 3 months of Slactics, or is it Tactics, either way it is nice to get that NATOPS check out of the way and to finally have orders to a fleet squadron.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
For me it was about a week. There were some others who only got a few days. Most people I know got SERE before classing up at 30 and others get it afterwards..

rugbychi

P3 junkie
Most likely, you will go to SERE before the RAG. Everyone in my class did, and personally I think that is the way to go. Typically any waiting you do in corpus is between your final check and your winging ( I waited about 6 weeks), then the week after your winging you will detach and report to VP-30 student control. If you have SERE prior to starting 30, you will basically show up to StuCon say hello get a SERE packet with some instructions your travel itinerary and then told that they will see you when you get back. I would recommend doing SERE before the RAG and here are a few reasons.

1. Assuming you are an ensign and might make jg before you finish 30, being a lower rank is better at SERE. (it will suck either way, but lower rank = slightly (very) less suck, but anything can help)

2. There is something that happens at the RAG, when you get towards the end that is satisfying that you are finally going to a 'real' squadron to do your job for real that lends itself to wanting to get started. Not to mention dealing with a more in depth PCS move across the country, maybe an imminent deployment (some of my class will leave for deployment one week after reporting to their squadrons, others will meet their squadron on deployment) and I promise that you will not want to finish SERE one day and be packing for deployment the next.

3. Most important, just get it over with. You have to do it, you know you have to do it, it is not going away, and you will think the whole time at the RAG that you still have to do it. I promise they will not forget, so get it over with and move on. You can use your time at 30 to heal your emotional wounds...ha.

I hope that helps, if you need any other info let me know.

bulldozer3

pilot
the only possible reason to do it after the RAG (if you have an option) is for warmer weather... all depends on what time of year your starting and finishing the RAG. but i agree with it hanging over your head, that would suck. One guy in my class didnt go before like the rest of us did, so we kept hyping it up for him.. just to be nice :D