• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

outdoor writer steps on his tongue

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I found this today. Using an AR-10, in CA no less, in 1949.
The caption says it all . . .
Firing a 6 3/4 pound rifle developed by new Armalite division of his company, Fairchild Aircraft president Rifchard [sic] Boutelle tests full-auto weapon in backyard of his home.
And somehow, children were not magically turned into serial killers for a 200mi radius . . .

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
No, these guys were using a Bushmaster AR-15 look-alike stolen from a store in Seattle/Tacoma area. That being said, the furthest shot they took wasn't very far and they never fired more than one shot. Could have easily done the same thing with a NEF Handi-Rifle or any other single shot.

HA HA! Bullseye's...a Tacoma tradition. I took a couple concealed carry classes (tatctics, etc...) there when I was in the neighborhood. That was a really great facility. Word was though that they had some management issues...several federal violations etc...Don't know, but they had a ton of product.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Looks like he is trying hard to make it right.

February 28, 2007

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman
Citizens Committee for the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts an unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,
Jim Zumbo

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, whats done is done and his previous words will deal a heavy blow against the 2nd ammendment. His turnaround won't be seen past the firearms forums.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately, whats done is done and his previous words will deal a heavy blow against the 2nd ammendment. His turnaround won't be seen past the firearms forums.

A blow for the first amendment then......;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HA HA! Bullseye's...a Tacoma tradition. I took a couple concealed carry classes (tatctics, etc...) there when I was in the neighborhood. That was a really great facility. Word was though that they had some management issues...several federal violations etc...Don't know, but they had a ton of product.

My problem with the whole sordid episode with the 'missing' guns from Bull's Eye is that the most that can happen seems to be a slap on the wrist. 160 guns missing and nothing but a civil suit happens to the owners?! (I couldn't find anythign else on what happened.....) Granted, there are inaccuracies in the following article but the main point is still accurate, it is close to impossible to shut down gun dealers who break the rules, no matter how blantant they break them.......

"Studies show about 1 percent of gun stores sell the weapons traced to 57 percent of gun crimes."

http://neahin.org/programs/schoolsafety/gunsafety/stbullseye.htm

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Looks like he (Zumbo) is trying hard to make it right......
Probably 'cau$e he now realize$ that he ju$t $hot him$elf in the .... "career"???

I love these 20/20 "born-again revelations" on the part of some folks .... they always come after the fact. And they're always too late .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
My problem with the whole sordid episode with the 'missing' guns from Bull's Eye .....
I visited Bull's Eye Shooter Supply about a year or so prior to the incident wherein the Bushmaster AR was allegedly stolen by Muhammed/Malvo .....

I was aware of the store as they had frequented the area gun shows for many years and I wanted to see what they had in stock. I was not impressed with the "caliber" of the people who staffed the store and I never returned.

It's too bad that 1% bad apples can be twisted by the media into giving the other 99% a bad reputation.

Life goes on ....

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I was aware of the store as they had frequented the area gun shows for many years and I wanted to see what they had in stock. I was not impressed with the "caliber" of the people who staffed the store and I never returned. Life goes on ....

As I'm sure A-4's knows, if you're at Whidbey all you need to know gun store wise is Kesselrings in Burlington.

http://www.kesselrings.com/new/

In all my searching I've never found one as pleasant and well equipped with such good prices. The folks at Monkey Hill are nice but can't hold a candle to Kesselrings.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the tip on Kesserlings. I had missed it since I was only there for less than a year and at sea for most of it.
HA HA! Bullseye's...a Tacoma tradition. I took a couple concealed carry classes (tatctics, etc...) there when I was in the neighborhood. That was a really great facility.

I should clarify that the range was a nice facility...I cannot comment on the schmos behind the counter...never talked with them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As I'm sure A-4's knows, if you're at Whidbey all you need to know gun store wise is Kesselrings in Burlington.

http://www.kesselrings.com/new/

In all my searching I've never found one as pleasant and well equipped with such good prices. The folks at Monkey Hill are nice but can't hold a candle to Kesselrings.

When purchasing firearms or ammunition in Western Washington ... go to Kesselrings. Look no further .... it's a family run business that has the best prices, selection, and service in Washington state. If you order something, stay on top of it as they are very busy -- especially in the hunting season.

"Monkey Hill" .... actually Greene's Gun Shop .... is NOT what it used to be since Richard Greene passed away a couple of years ago --- the guy was a first-rate gunsmith and could make anything fit and work. It is now being run by his daughter and her live-in boyfriend/"husband" who USED to be a nationally renowned 1911 custom gun builder until the demon rum got the best of him. Richard told me he was a jerk and he stole many parts out of the store. :)

By the way ... Richard Greene was a NAP flying catapult float planes off of cruisers and battleships in the "Big One" ... he invited me into "his world" on a couple of occasions to have a cup of coffee. That's kind of like entering the "Holy of Holies" for those who don't know ... I saw a couple of Navy pictures of him on the wall and he was a good lookin' stud back-in-the-day ..... but a cranky, profane, intolerant old guy in later life .... and a friend. :)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
"Monkey Hill" .... actually Greene's Gun Shop .... is NOT what it used to be since Richard Greene passed away a couple of years ago --- the guy was a first-rate gunsmith and could make anything fit and work. It is now being run by his daughter and her live-in boyfriend/"husband" who USED to be a nationally renowned 1911 custom gun builder until the demon rum got the best of him. Richard told me he was a jerk and he stole many parts out of the store. :)

[/B]

That's sad to hear. He was a cantanerous old gent but we used to hold the NRA functions out there and we got along very well. As I recall his wife helped in the shop quite a bit as well. Did a lot of shooting out there until I joined North Whidbey Sportsmans club and then shot there. Hard to imagine that range even exists any more with encroachment being what it is.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I never met Richard, but I used to have some nice conversations with his wife every time I went shooting there.