• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

outdoor writer steps on his tongue

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Email response in opposition to his posting is running very strong.

I wrote my own response to Remington and Cabelas. It will be interesting to see if the companies which sponsor him respond to the overwhelming criticism.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60832840

Assault Rifles For Hunters?
As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It never fails to amaze me how many people do not understand that the ARs and AKs being referred to are semiauto civilian versions of those weapons. No one is asking people to allow you to walk around the woods with a full auto AK or take a deer with a 3 round burst from an AR.

Every time I read an article from a major publication that displays this level of ignorance about something I am familiar with, I wonder what BS I am being fed in my day-to-day life that I don't know about.

Lawman

None
There are plenty of firearms owners out there whos only concern as far as firearms rights and ownership laws will be for their deer/bird gun. Ive met hunters that want handguns banned, which is rediculous even from there standpoint because there are plenty of instances of a handgun saving a persons butt while out in "the woods."

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are plenty of firearms owners out there whos only concern as far as firearms rights and ownership laws will be for their deer/bird gun. Ive met hunters that want handguns banned, which is rediculous even from there standpoint because there are plenty of instances of a handgun saving a persons butt while out in "the woods."

Yep, gun-owners like the guy who wrote that article are the 2nd Amendment's worst enemy.

pilotpete24

What really bothers me is that he will denounce the AR's and AK's as sporting arms, but wouldn't think twice about a Remington 7400, Browning BAR, Winchester 100, Ruger 10/22, etc. As said above, we are not talking about the military versions of these firearms, but the semi-automatic civilian versions which (for practical purposes) difer from the "sporting" semi-automatics only in the way they look. Further more, many of the AR's I have fired were capable of shooting rings around most factory .223s. As the outdoor writers always say, wouldn't you want the most accurate firearm to be humane to whatever it is you are looking to hunt?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Indeed - doen't this guy know that the AR is the most popular centerfire rifle in the US?

pilotpete24

I'm from southern Michigan where they all but restrict us to hunting with shotguns, but that doesn't prevent me from owning/shooting other types of firearms. It also doesn't prevent me from being educated about what type of hunting/shooting people enjoy around this country so that I can keep an open mind and support others second amendment rights. I think that Zumbo just didn't take the time to think about who he was actualy writing to this time.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lots of extra disclaimers from Outdoor Life on that site...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I responded.

He is getting hammered with replies. Remington and Outdoor Life should distance themselves.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Well, we all know that the phrase:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

applies only to weapons that can be defined as being for hunting only.
/sarcasm

I generally think the founding fathers wanted the average citizen to be fairly well armed because a) it provided for the common defense in a country which was (at the time) far to poor to maintain a standing professional army, and b) they held armed revolution (or the threat thereof) as a means of the people preventing overly authoritative government.

I don't think they really gave a damn if you were going to hunt with your weapons or not.